Shipwreck beach recent visit? chair availabilty?

SugarStar00

• 2 weeks later...

That is really too bad about the erosion at Shipwreck Beach. We were there last year and loved it. The monkeys in the trees were so close and fun to watch. Yes, it was a bit more "rustic" but reminded us of something out of Gilligan's Island. Can't beat the cheap, cold, Carib beer after swimming in the salt water. The snorkeling was great, met some friendly, helpful people that gave us some pointers about the snorkeling. We walked down to the other end at Carambola and it seemed "fancier" and the sand was whiter/softer, but much more crowded. Can't imagine the snorkeling being as good there. Just a totally different vibe at each place...it is just up to individual preference.

That said, I am now thinking of going to Cockleshell Bay on our upcoming cruise since we have not been there yet. I realize it is a bit further and am wondering if anyone who has been there can give me their opinion as to if we would have time to go there after spending some time at Brimstone Hill Fortress first in the morning. Our ship is only in port 8am-4pm. Also, does anyone know the difference in price for a taxi?

They do not feed the animals (monkeys or mongoose) at Shipwreck anymore. The are not that cute when they are all over the bar and on your table were you are eating and drinking.

That was not the case when we were there two weeks ago. There was a large amount of sugarcane left for the monkeys and a slab of food for the mongooses. There were four of them eating while we sat nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just at Shipwreck a few days ago. The beach is fairly non-existent. Maybe it used to be nicer but the chairs sit on a slant a foot from the water. So not very practical, since your stuff can wash away while you're not sitting there. I would not spend my day there. Rent chairs or slap a towel down at Carambola and then walk the 10 minutes down the beach to Shipwreck for a drink. It was cute but gimmicky and the "rustic" gimmick gets old quick.

The beach at Carambola is superior. .

Edited by uglybutgoodbakery

• 3 weeks later...

2 weeks ago we paid $4 each way but there was another couple in the van with us. Fairly easy to find others to go . Had a great day as we moved to the left away from the beach club, sat on towels and had the beach to ourselves. Also you can snorkel in the lagoon to the right of the club.