Security at tourist sites in St Petersburg

Priya2

I have a baltics cruise from Southampton booked in June 2016. I am concerned that Russia's major military action in Syria will make it a greater islamic extremist terrorism target than many other countries in th future. I would like to take the view that they can strike anywhere and I will just get on with my travels, but I can't quite. I want to go, but I am worried. Perhaps this has something to do with me just having got married. My husband and I were both with the wrong people for 30 years and, having finally found each other, I'm feeling a bit risk averse, but I do want to go. My husband is inclined to just get on with our planned travels.

Has anyone noticed if there is a high security presence at tourist sites in St Petersburg? I would find that reasuring.

I'm also interested to hear how others deal with their worries about travelling these days.

I am thinking you may not ever feel secure. Perhaps travel to a foreign country is not for you.

Seeing large numbers of heavily armed police around may not deter bad guys- it fact, it may attract them, so the bad guys can show how brave they are. It certainly does attract suicide bombers in many parts of the world.

I would save your travel money and invest in the lottery. A better chance of winning than getting killed in a terror attack.

I am thinking you may not ever feel secure. Perhaps travel to a foreign country is not for you.

Seeing large numbers of heavily armed police around may not deter bad guys- it fact, it may attract them, so the bad guys can show how brave they are. It certainly does attract suicide bombers in many parts of the world.

I would save your travel money and invest in the lottery. A better chance of winning than getting killed in a terror attack.

I am actually quite well travelled. I'm just back from a one month trip which included a Panama Canal and Central America cruise. I'm just a bit twitchy about certain countries at this time. Perhaps its the fall out from the attacks in Paris, which is one of our favourite cities. I take your points about the statistics. I have been telling myself that sort of thing. Edited by Priya2

I have a baltics cruise from Southampton booked in June 2016. I am concerned that Russia's major military action in Syria will make it a greater islamic extremist terrorism target than many other countries in th future. I would like to take the view that they can strike anywhere and I will just get on with my travels, but I can't quite. I want to go, but I am worried. Perhaps this has something to do with me just having got married. My husband and I were both with the wrong people for 30 years and, having finally found each other, I'm feeling a bit risk averse, but I do want to go. My husband is inclined to just get on with our planned travels.

Has anyone noticed if there is a high security presence at tourist sites in St Petersburg? I would find that reasuring.

I'm also interested to hear how others deal with their worries about travelling these days.

I just returned from Russia last month. There was not a high security presence anywhere that I visited (and I was all over both St. Petersburg and Moscow - used public transportation as I have a visa).

I honestly don't think that you need be concerned regarding a visit to St. Petersburg via cruise ship. The port at which you will dock does have excellent security and, doubtless, you will be on a tour with a guide. I can't ally your fears, but I honestly don't think there will be any issues that need concern cruisers.

I just returned from Russia last month. There was not a high security presence anywhere that I visited (and I was all over both St. Petersburg and Moscow - used public transportation as I have a visa).

I honestly don't think that you need be concerned regarding a visit to St. Petersburg via cruise ship. The port at which you will dock does have excellent security and, doubtless, you will be on a tour with a guide. I can't ally your fears, but I honestly don't think there will be any issues that need concern cruisers.

Thanks for that dogs4fun (love your user name)! Would you see it as a safer port than the one in Tunisia, where cruise passengers were targeted at the museum?

We booked a last minute (one month in advance) cruise to St. Petersburg last summer. A lot of people were worried that the situation in the Ukraine could lead to safety concerns in St. Petersburg (or possibly cause the stop to be skipped altogether), so there was a lot of availability. All of the major tourist sites felt quite safe, but it is very hard to predict where terrorist activity will occur. I live in NYC, and taught 3.5 blocks north of the WTC, and never expected that to happen in my home. The Baltic cruise was amazing, but only you can predict your personal level of comfort with these sites.

Thanks for that dogs4fun (love your user name)! Would you see it as a safer port than the one in Tunisia, where cruise passengers were targeted at the museum?

Tunisia is a Muslim country, and has a porous border with lawless Muslim Libya.

Cruise passengers weren't specifically targeted, the target at the museum was any visitors in the wrong place at the wrong time. 21 victims.

The later attack at a resort was targeted at resort hotels. 30 of the 33 victims were Brits - ISIL isn't anti-American or anti-French or anti-Russian, it's anti everyone, including Muslims who don't follow their hard-line creed.

I'm not aware of any ISIL terrorism in Russia, other than the bomb planted on the Russian aircraft departing from Sharm El Sheikh in Muslim Egypt.

There have been terrorist attacks, aimed at Russians, around Chechnya (for many years) & Ukraine but that's way over 1000 miles from SPB. And nothing to do with ISIL.

There's a risk of terrorism anywhere, including hometown USA.

But a much much lower risk than a traffic accident.

Each to their own comfort level, but I do find some levels of risk-aversion incomprehensible

JB :)

Well, don't forget the 2010 Moscow suicide bombings, carried out by women at two stations of the Moscow Metro. At least 40 people were killed, and over 100 injured. And just before that, the Nevsky Express bombing occurred on November 27, 2009 when a bomb exploded under a high speed train travelling between Moscow and Saint Petersburg causing a derailment that killed 27 people. The fact is, this stuff can happen anywhere at any time; look at what happened to us on 9/11/01 or in London on 7/7/05. We might as well travel, because there's no real security in staying home. My wife and I were in Paris for two weeks last month just before the attack there, and we will be going back next year. As JB says, there's probably a greater statistical risk of being killed or injured on the way to the airport.

Edited by Langoustine

• 5 weeks later...

Priya2- it's possible we will be on the same cruise. I'm going on RCL out of Southhampton on June 16. I, too, have been a little concerned about the state of the world, but I refuse to live in fear. I'm going to go, enjoy my trip to Europe, and if something awful happens, then it was my time to go! [emoji3]

Priya2- it's possible we will be on the same cruise. I'm going on RCL out of Southhampton on June 16. I, too, have been a little concerned about the state of the world, but I refuse to live in fear. I'm going to go, enjoy my trip to Europe, and if something awful happens, then it was my time to go! [emoji3]
Hi, ours is Celebrity on 19th June out of Southhampton. I've decided to just go for it too, but there are places that we won't go at present because they are especially high value targets. I won't go to Paris despite it being my favourite city in the world. I hope the high risk there will pass soon and we can go back. Regarding the baltic cruise, we won't visit Brussels. Its so clearly in the sights of ISIS and they are at the highest Risk level. Its true that there is a risk all over the world, but some places are more risky than others.

Tunisia is a Muslim country, and has a porous border with lawless Muslim Libya.

Cruise passengers weren't specifically targeted, the target at the museum was any visitors in the wrong place at the wrong time. 21 victims.

The later attack at a resort was targeted at resort hotels. 30 of the 33 victims were Brits - ISIL isn't anti-American or anti-French or anti-Russian, it's anti everyone, including Muslims who don't follow their hard-line creed.

I'm not aware of any ISIL terrorism in Russia, other than the bomb planted on the Russian aircraft departing from Sharm El Sheikh in Muslim Egypt.

There have been terrorist attacks, aimed at Russians, around Chechnya (for many years) & Ukraine but that's way over 1000 miles from SPB. And nothing to do with ISIL.

There's a risk of terrorism anywhere, including hometown USA.

But a much much lower risk than a traffic accident.

Each to their own comfort level, but I do find some levels of risk-aversion incomprehensible

JB :)

You should also take account of how competent security and intelligence is in a particular country. Its been found to be poor in Turkey, Tunisia and Egypt when UK security reviewed it following terrorist attacks. That is why our Foreign Office advise us against travel to those countries at this time. I agree that ISIS/ISIL/Daesh (I wish we could settle on a name) attack everyone and are often indiscriminate, but there are particular high value targets. I am not prepared to change my day-to-day life in light of this scum's behaviour, but there are so many places on my 'to visit' list that I don't need to choose those at highest risk. As you say, each to their own. The level of risk aversion varies, not just between individuals, but also at different times in life. e.g a young adult may have a very adventurous spirit, backpacking alone all over the place, but then have a child and become risk averse. There are other circumstances that make people more or less risk averse. You yourself, may not always be the same.

There are no good answers for those that are more risk adverse. We can all spout anecdotes and advice, but risk adverse folks have only to read a newspaper or watch TV to have their concerns raised to new heights. It is like telling somebody with fear of flying that the most dangerous part of their trip is the drive to the airport. While true, it does not give these folks much relief. It is interesting that Brits are being told to avoid Turkey (a NATO member). And yet, if we look at events in the past year one might conclude that France and Belgium are places to be avoided (we would return to France in a heartbeat).

We think CruiserBruce actually gave the most sensible advice. For those that are really risk adverse and are going to ruminate about safety/security when traveling, they would probably be better off just staying close to home (or going to a place where they feel very safe). On a personal note, we would add that DW and moi are not very risk adverse as we live in Mexico (part of the year) and have recently booked a long cruise that will call at thirty ports throughout Europe (including Turkey....a country we really enjoy).

Hank

There are no good answers for those that are more risk adverse. We can all spout anecdotes and advice, but risk adverse folks have only to read a newspaper or watch TV to have their concerns raised to new heights. It is like telling somebody with fear of flying that the most dangerous part of their trip is the drive to the airport. While true, it does not give these folks much relief. It is interesting that Brits are being told to avoid Turkey (a NATO member). And yet, if we look at events in the past year one might conclude that France and Belgium are places to be avoided (we would return to France in a heartbeat).

We think CruiserBruce actually gave the most sensible advice. For those that are really risk adverse and are going to ruminate about safety/security when traveling, they would probably be better off just staying close to home (or going to a place where they feel very safe). On a personal note, we would add that DW and moi are not very risk adverse as we live in Mexico (part of the year) and have recently booked a long cruise that will call at thirty ports throughout Europe (including Turkey....a country we really enjoy).

Hank

I hope you have a wonderful time :) The issues with Turkey is its questionable security services and (consequently) its very porous border with Syria. There is much discussion and disquiet about its membership of NATO.

You should also take account of how competent security and intelligence is in a particular country. Its been found to be poor in Turkey, Tunisia and Egypt when UK security reviewed it following terrorist attacks. That is why our Foreign Office advise us against travel to those countries at this time.

Priya2, I think you may be mistaken. Unless I am looking at the wrong thing, the UK Foreign Office does not advise against travel to Turkey, just travel within 10 km of the border with Syria, which is not somewhere any tourists are likely to end up and quite far from ports utilized by cruise ships, and the regions nearby.

Additionally -- a direct quote -- they say "Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Personally I would not hesitate to travel in this region or St Petersburg.....or Paris or Belgium for that matter. But then I am a logical thinker and the miniscule odds of me personally being involved in any terrorist action anywhere certainly do a lot to reassure me.

Edited by cruisemom42

Priya2, I think you may be mistaken. Unless I am looking at the wrong thing, the UK Foreign Office does not advise against travel to Turkey, just travel within 10 km of the border with Syria, which is not somewhere any tourists are likely to end up and quite far from ports utilized by cruise ships, and the regions nearby.

Additionally -- a direct quote -- they say "Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Personally I would not hesitate to travel in this region or St Petersburg.....or Paris or Belgium for that matter. But then I am a logical thinker and the miniscule odds of me personally being involved in any terrorist action anywhere certainly do a lot to reassure me.

Sorry, of course you are correct. It's Tunisia and Egypt we are advised against travel too. Turkey is a political 'hot potato'.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, ours is Celebrity on 19th June out of Southhampton. I've decided to just go for it too, but there are places that we won't go at present because they are especially high value targets. I won't go to Paris despite it being my favourite city in the world. I hope the high risk there will pass soon and we can go back. Regarding the baltic cruise, we won't visit Brussels. Its so clearly in the sights of ISIS and they are at the highest Risk level. Its true that there is a risk all over the world, but some places are more risky than others.

While there are some really dangerous places in the world I would avoid, I personally don't think any city or place in Europe, N America, etc, is any more risky than another. You speak of high risk and I think my local mall has just as much risk as a street in Paris, Brussels, or St Petersburg. I will continue to travel where I want and when. I can't control the actions of others - only my own.

Edited by mek

If I recall correctly, St. Petersburg has a remote chance of being targeted by any Mid-East terrorists, but they have an ongoing problem of pickpockets and cutpurses - especially at crowded sites like the Hermitage (where, alas, the tour guides believe tourists are part tsardine).

Have at least two layers of solid fabric between your valuables and the outside world in such places - the offenders work in teams and rapidly pass the goods on to cohorts even if you see the person grabbing a wallet or purse, or even earrings. They have been known to cut straps and even cut pockets from men's trousers - your tour guide will suggest you take no valuables off the bus (the crooks seem not to attack the goods in buses for some reason).

And remember - even in horrid terrorist target areas, you are more likely to be in a car accident than in a terror incident.

Hope this reassures you, and warns you as well.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...