Cape Liberty to EWR with no cell phone

Nhsaltshaker

Hi all,

Last year at Cape Liberty, I had a car service that required a phone call to let them know I was off the ship. My lovely Sprint service didn't give me a signal for an hour and 15 minutes and then the call dropped 5 times. Then it took another 2 hours for my car to show up.

Are people still having issues getting cabs at the port? Is there a service where I can send them an email or text that I am ready? Have they installed pay phones at the port?

I'm solo, doing the walk off, and the ship docks at 7 a.m on Monday, April 18.

What options do I have?

Thanks!

No problem getting on the queue for a cab to the airport. You could either do it as a solo or in a shared van. I remember the shared van cost to be around $30 with tip.

Thanks. For some reason I don't have much patience for waiting around when I get off the ship. It seems getting from point A to point B the quickest way possible keeps my mood in vacation mode a bit longer.

I've read in posts last year people were waiting forever for taxis, even when there wasn't a storm. If things have changed, a taxi would be my first pick.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

1+ hrs with no phone signal :eek: I think i would look at getting a new phone. It's not like Bayonne NJ is in the middle of the boonies, you should have gotten a signal right away.

My phone works great in the boonies here in NH. I prefer not to cancel or switch phone services just for a ride to the airport.

Thanks. For some reason I don't have much patience for waiting around when I get off the ship. It seems getting from point A to point B the quickest way possible keeps my mood in vacation mode a bit longer.

I've read in posts last year people were waiting forever for taxis, even when there wasn't a storm. If things have changed, a taxi would be my first pick.

I appreciate not being a patient person. I cannot remember how long I waited, but it wasn't more than 10 or 15 minutes, because I would remember having to wait longer than that. Still better than the two hours for your car service. I would have been beside myself after 30 minutes.

You might also consider buying a prepaid phone which has good service in the area you will be in. I have Tracfone and have had very good reception in Bayonne as I always have to call friends & family to let them know I arrived safely (and brag about being on the ship with a drink in hand!). Tracfone is just one of many prepaid phones, but I know their phones ending with a C are using Verizon towers. There are plenty on eBay and pretty inexpensive. A 30 min. one month card is $10, not cheap but better than the aggravation of no cell service.

You should have a signal without roaming in the Narrows (going under the Verrazano Bridge). I've used my phone both in and out bound on Sprint from the ship at those points without problem or charge.

That's good to know! Thanks! But I wonder if I should be calling a service saying I'm off the ship, if I'm not? The couple of service's I've checked say to call when I'm off the ship...because it could be held up by Immigrations?

You might also consider buying a prepaid phone which has good service in the area you will be in. I have Tracfone and have had very good reception in Bayonne as I always have to call friends & family to let them know I arrived safely (and brag about being on the ship with a drink in hand!). Tracfone is just one of many prepaid phones, but I know their phones ending with a C are using Verizon towers. There are plenty on eBay and pretty inexpensive. A 30 min. one month card is $10, not cheap but better than the aggravation of no cell service.

Thanks! I'll check into that. It appears Verizon has a strong signal in that area?