North Shore Oahu Tour?

Cruiseoholic000

I am looking into seeing the North Shore, through a tour and may be staying in Waikiki area. I am looking into going to

- Byodo-In Temple

- Laniakea Beach

- Photo op Hawaii's Chinaman's hat

- Other North Shore Sites

- SUP/Snorkel time

- pick up and drop included

I do not want to go to the Dole plantation and many tours I have found include this. I did find Adventure Tours Hawaii Day Tours but on their website they do not say if they go to the above places.

I would also be interested in opinions on other places not to miss in the North Shore area.

IMO, it will be difficult to find a tour which will allow time to beach and sup. The very best way to see the Northshore is to rent a car and drive it yourself, stopping here and there for as long as you like. Once you get out of Waikiki, the driving is easy.

If you have no interest in The Dole Plantation stop, ( a wise decision ) then avoid the H2 route which goes past there. This route is far less scenic than the H3 or alternate which takes you over to route 83, the King Kamehameha highway. You can take this route as far as Haleiwa and then double back there, or at any point along the way.

A couple things we really enjoyed was a stop at Waimea Valley. This is an ancient sacred site and has a beautiful paved walk through a botanical garden with historical markers to a beautiful waterfall. You can also shuttle 1 way to the falls or round trip if walking is an issue. Nice place for lunch there as well.

A stop at the shrimp trucks is highly recommended.

Another place we loved for its awesome scenic views was Kualoa Ranch. Take one of the movie site tours there which takes you into a gorgeous valley between mountains looking out to sea. This place is worth a half or even whole day and I believe they offer tours including transportation from Waikiki which you could perhaps do another day.

IMO, it will be difficult to find a tour which will allow time to beach and sup. The very best way to see the Northshore is to rent a car and drive it yourself, stopping here and there for as long as you like. Once you get out of Waikiki, the driving is easy.

If you have no interest in The Dole Plantation stop, ( a wise decision ) then avoid the H2 route which goes past there. This route is far less scenic than the H3 or alternate which takes you over to route 83, the King Kamehameha highway. You can take this route as far as Haleiwa and then double back there, or at any point along the way.

A couple things we really enjoyed was a stop at Waimea Valley. This is an ancient sacred site and has a beautiful paved walk through a botanical garden with historical markers to a beautiful waterfall. You can also shuttle 1 way to the falls or round trip if walking is an issue. Nice place for lunch there as well.

A stop at the shrimp trucks is highly recommended.

Another place we loved for its awesome scenic views was Kualoa Ranch. Take one of the movie site tours there which takes you into a gorgeous valley between mountains looking out to sea. This place is worth a half or even whole day and I believe they offer tours including transportation from Waikiki which you could perhaps do another day.

I was hoping you could help me with driving plans for the North Shore. Is the best route from Waikiki to go north up the middle of the island on H2 to 803 to connect with 83 and head south around the east side of the island?

Or should I go counter clockwise from Waikiki?

I was hoping you could help me with driving plans for the North Shore. Is the best route from Waikiki to go north up the middle of the island on H2 to 803 to connect with 83 and head south around the east side of the island?

The drive up H2 north through the center of the island is just OK, but the east, or Windward coast is much more scenic as the road is sandwiched between the sea and the mountains, which are very close. I prefer to go east to connect to the King Kam highway and continue north and then return the same way. This drive is worth seeing again as you go south as it offers a different perspective of the mountains and sea.

Perhaps someone else can give you better advice on which road is preferable to take going east out of Waikiki. There is the H3 and two other roads which run parallel, 63 and 61. I believe there is a scenic overlook on one of these, but we missed it. I think we might have taken the H3, but I don't recall now.

Near Kaneohe is the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park and the Byodo-In Temple which many say are beautiful. Kaneohe Bay has a huge sandbar way out in the bay. We took a boat tour here. You get out in knee deep water and can snorkel around the edges.

Farther up the road you will pass Kualoa Ranch on the left. I love this place. They offer tours from Waikiki or you could just stop for a quick tour. They offer an extensive list. Tons of movies have been filmed here.

You will pass many beach parks along the highway, most with few people or none. You will pass the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you come back this way in the evening you could stop for the dinner and show. From what I have read the best advice is to skip the dinner and just book the show.

Waimea Valley on the Northshore has a lovely easy walk to a waterfall, paved all the way and beautiful. They have a casual eatery there and a nice gift shop. Small entry fee to the park.

Once you hit the Northshore there will be food trucks and the surfing beaches all the way over to Haleiwa. If you want a nice dinner ( or lunch ) on the Northshore, Lei Lei's on the golf course at the Turtle Bay resort is our favorite place to eat on Oahu. You can go all the way across the Northshore to Haleiwa and then cut south on the H2 back to Waikiki or just retrace your steps, which would be my preference if time is not a factor.

The drive up H2 north through the center of the island is just OK, but the east, or Windward coast is much more scenic as the road is sandwiched between the sea and the mountains, which are very close. I prefer to go east to connect to the King Kam highway and continue north and then return the same way. This drive is worth seeing again as you go south as it offers a different perspective of the mountains and sea.

Perhaps someone else can give you better advice on which road is preferable to take going east out of Waikiki. There is the H3 and two other roads which run parallel, 63 and 61. I believe there is a scenic overlook on one of these, but we missed it. I think we might have taken the H3, but I don't recall now.

Near Kaneohe is the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park and the Byodo-In Temple which many say are beautiful. Kaneohe Bay has a huge sandbar way out in the bay. We took a boat tour here. You get out in knee deep water and can snorkel around the edges.

Farther up the road you will pass Kualoa Ranch on the left. I love this place. They offer tours from Waikiki or you could just stop for a quick tour. They offer an extensive list. Tons of movies have been filmed here.

You will pass many beach parks along the highway, most with few people or none. You will pass the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you come back this way in the evening you could stop for the dinner and show. From what I have read the best advice is to skip the dinner and just book the show.

Waimea Valley on the Northshore has a lovely easy walk to a waterfall, paved all the way and beautiful. They have a casual eatery there and a nice gift shop. Small entry fee to the park.

Once you hit the Northshore there will be food trucks and the surfing beaches all the way over to Haleiwa. If you want a nice dinner ( or lunch ) on the Northshore, Lei Lei's on the golf course at the Turtle Bay resort is our favorite place to eat on Oahu. You can go all the way across the Northshore to Haleiwa and then cut south on the H2 back to Waikiki or just retrace your steps, which would be my preference if time is not a factor.

Thanks! I think the windward east coast will be the best choice as our plan for the day includes hiking Diamond Head during sunrise. I'd also like to see Hanauma Bay and a few beaches while south of Waikiki.

Kualoa Ranch looks fun and I might add in their short ATV tour since we're headed that way.

Other places that are definitely on the top of my list are Waimea Valley and Laniakea Beach.

Thanks again!

Thanks! I think the windward east coast will be the best choice as our plan for the day includes hiking Diamond Head during sunrise. I'd also like to see Hanauma Bay and a few beaches while south of Waikiki.

Kualoa Ranch looks fun and I might add in their short ATV tour since we're headed that way.

Other places that are definitely on the top of my list are Waimea Valley and Laniakea Beach.

Thanks again!

Re the ATV tour....are you an experience rider? If not, I highly recommend you skip this. We did the long one. I was in way over my head. It is extremely difficult and at times very scary. If so I would opt for anything else that gets you up into that valley, I can't recall the name. Probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen. They will know what you are talking about. There is a short and long horseback ride, but I don't know if the shorter one gets there. I'm sure the movie site tours do.

You don't want the H2 you want the Pali Highway (61). It is the old route through the mountains and a historic one. The current highway is the second or third iteration of the road in asphalt, but the road was built over the old footpaths that ancient Hawaiians used to use to cross from Windward Oahu to Leeward Oahu. It was at the crest of the paths, the current Pali Lookout, where Kamehameha the First defeated the king of Oahu by forcing many of his troops over the pali (cliff) to their deaths.

Queen Emma Summer Palace is on the Pali Highway as well as one of the ancient palaces. It is a much more desirable way to go for sights and interests than the route around Koko Head.

There website is not that great. Do you happen to know the length of the tours, pickup/drop off times and cost?
Ron charges $60/hr. If you're going to the North Shore pickup is at 7 AM at your hotel. Check Trip Advisor. His reviews are awesome.

Re the ATV tour....are you an experience rider? If not, I highly recommend you skip this. We did the long one. I was in way over my head. It is extremely difficult and at times very scary. If so I would opt for anything else that gets you up into that valley, I can't recall the name. Probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen. They will know what you are talking about. There is a short and long horseback ride, but I don't know if the shorter one gets there. I'm sure the movie site tours do.

thanks for the heads up regarding the atv tour. i have never ridden one before and my husband was concerned about safety. we do have experience riding horses, so we'll opt for that tour.

Here is an article you should read from TripAdvisor on self driving tours on Oahu.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29222-c124540/Oahu:Hawaii:Driving.Tours.html

• 7 months later...

If hiking Diamond Head is on your list, be sure to stop off at the Diamond Head Market before you head further out on your day. Amazing scones and you can pick up some good to-go food to get you through the morning and an afternoon snack!!! On Monterserrat about a 4 minute drive from Diamond Head Monument.

Or, if you are there on a Saturday, hit up the KCC Farmers Market - you'll be driving right past it. There are to-go goodies to be had, as well as some items you might want to buy and take home.

I saw you were looking for a custom Northshore tour. I would recommend a private tour with Hawaii Real Nature. Akima and Bob are Northshore locals and offer an exciting, comfortable day of touring.

Have fun in Oahu.

Molly McMillen

Blue Planet Productions.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from 4 days on Oahu and POA cruise. It was an awesome trip with memories to last a lifetime. On Oahu, we had a wonderful driver and tour guide. You can get in touch with him through his facebook, Choose Your Own Adventures or call him at 808-489-4074. Josh is the best, you can customize your private tour. I believe he charges $48. per hour, and is worth every penny. He knows everything about the island and its history, by the time he dropped us off at the airport he felt like family. Enjoy your trip!:)