Rental Car Companies

AryMay

We are booked on the 11-day Pride of America cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco in March.

Our plan is to rent a car in each port, but since we rarely do rental cars, I am looking for advice.

1. Is there one company that you prefer over the others? Why?

2. Are there certain ports where one company has a better shuttle system?

3. Our only over-night port is Kauai. If we do a one day rental, is there a certain time cars must be returned or could we keep it later...like 10 pm?

4. If we do a 2-day rental in Kauai where do we park the car overnight? Cost?

I have been looking on Discount Hawaii Car Rental dot com and am trying to find rentals that include extra drivers for free since we will be traveling with another couple...it would be nice to share the driving.

If anyone has any other suggestions for driving tour maps or GPS driving tour apps for smartphones that you have used, I would love that as well! :)

We are booked on the 11-day Pride of America cruise to Hawaii from San Francisco in March.

Our plan is to rent a car in each port, but since we rarely do rental cars, I am looking for advice.

3. Our only over-night port is Kauai. If we do a one day rental, is there a certain time cars must be returned or could we keep it later...like 10 pm?

I have been looking on Discount Hawaii Car Rental dot com and am trying to find rentals that include extra drivers for free since we will be traveling with another couple...it would be nice to share the driving.

If anyone has any other suggestions for driving tour maps or GPS driving tour apps for smartphones that you have used, I would love that as well! :)

I just booked with that rental company and they look good.

I use Google Maps quite often as a GPS and it works quite well.

Don't forget the overnight on Maui.

Pete

I use Thrifty a lot, but any of the rentals work well and have shuttle buses. The exception is Kona, where I usually use Dollar. You do NOT want a rental from the airport and I don't want to wait the extended time for Enterprise. The high cost is well worth it for my touring priority.

As for Kauai, there is overnight parking, last year was $20. They do have a shuttle, but I always walk between there and the ship. I have used them for several years, along with the another location that is now closed, used to be a small shopping area. Sure you can bring cars back any time you want, as long as the office is open- BUT the shuttle don't run late, so in many cases you would need a cab. Something to verify when you book and figured out WHAT you are going to do.

There are "map books" at the car rentals, usually. BUT you first, have to figure out what YOU want to do and where YOU want to go. Take a look at Hawaii guide books, with the "Revealed" books being especially good. There is so much you can drive to, along several directions. Up to you to figure out your interests. I will state- IF you want to see Waimae Canyon- I do recommend you attempt this early in your Kauai plans. It is common to be fogged out, so worth having later times to try again. I do recommend driving further, at the canyon, all the way for a look at the Na Pali- is well worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks for your response.

I just booked with that rental company and they look good.

Actually Discount Hawaii Car Rental provides bookings through quite a few different companies. I was just wondering if there were advantages to one over another in Hawaii.

I use Google Maps quite often as a GPS and it works quite well.

I am looking for recommendations for apps that provide audio tours based on GPS position.

Don't forget the overnight on Maui.

This is a one-time only cruise after the POA drydock in San Francisco and unfortunately will only have one day in Maui.

Pete

Thanks for your advice.

There are "map books" at the car rentals, usually. BUT you first, have to figure out what YOU want to do and where YOU want to go. Take a look at Hawaii guide books, with the "Revealed" books being especially good. There is so much you can drive to, along several directions. Up to you to figure out your interests. I will state- IF you want to see Waimae Canyon- I do recommend you attempt this early in your Kauai plans. It is common to be fogged out, so worth having later times to try again. I do recommend driving further, at the canyon, all the way for a look at the Na Pali- is well worth it, in my opinion.

Having never been to Hawaii I am trying to figure out just what we would like to do. I have already purchased the Oahu Revealed guidebook (we will be spending several days there at the end of the cruise.)

As I mentioned in the post above, I was referring to smartphone apps that are audio tours linked to your GPS location. As you drive, the app recognizes where you are and describes what you are seeing. I am looking for firsthand recommendations from anyone that has used such an app.

Thanks for your advice.

Having never been to Hawaii I am trying to figure out just what we would like to do. I have already purchased the Oahu Revealed guidebook (we will be spending several days there at the end of the cruise.)

As I mentioned in the post above, I was referring to smartphone apps that are audio tours linked to your GPS location. As you drive, the app recognizes where you are and describes what you are seeing. I am looking for firsthand recommendations from anyone that has used such an app.

Farther down the board here there is a thread "POA Driving Plans". In it, there is a recommendation/link to a gps app for Maui called Gypsy Guide. Described as a full Maui GPS Driving Tour. Describes things as you drive by or you can select pre designed routes like Road to Hana. Sound like what you are looking for. We may download it before our cruise in March.

Farther down the board here there is a thread "POA Driving Plans". In it, there is a recommendation/link to a gps app for Maui called Gypsy Guide. Described as a full Maui GPS Driving Tour. Describes things as you drive by or you can select pre designed routes like Road to Hana. Sound like what you are looking for. We may download it before our cruise in March.

Thanks!

For the life of me I couldn't find the thread you mentioned, but I did Google "Gypsy Guide" and read about the apps. Maui and Oahu sound like they might be something that would work for us. The Big Island app for Volcanoes National Park takes a route from Kona rather than Hilo so not sure that would be helpful.

I read some reviews that said the apps had not been updated for 2 years and weren't compatible with iPhone 5 & 6 (I have an iPhone 5.) Most of the other reviews were pretty positive.

If the apps work well, it would be a cheap way to get a guided tour!!

If you're a Costco member, check rental prices through them. We've been traveling to Hawaii at least twice a year for 15 years and have found them to almost always match or beat Discount Hawaii rates. The real advantage is that Costco does give you the 2nd driver free. Last fall, we booked Avis cars through them in Hilo and Kauai - very inexpensive, easy access, very happy with the experience. The recommendation to only use Dollar in Kona is right - but you need to make your reservation right away, as they have a very limited number of cars at the pier.

Thanks for your advice.

Only a suggestion- a "driving tour" is probably going to include places that are not going to be of interest. With the limited time, it could be a better use of time, taking a look at guide books and figure what is a highlight for you do see. Again, only a suggestion. I'm a frequent Hawaii travelers, at least a month every year, and there are plenty of places that aren't worth my time- based on my likes/dislikes.

Edited by Budget Queen

I just got off the POA and we rented a car in each port. I'll post my observations while it's fresh on my mind.

Is there one company that you prefer over the others? Why?

I have always used "Dollar" as I am an Express member. It seemed that in most ports on this sailing, people booked Enterprise and Alamo as their shuttles were always full and had waits.

Are there certain ports where one company has a better shuttle system?

They all take you to the nearest airport except Dollar/Thrifty has a kiosk/office at the King Kame hotel in Kona across the street from the tender pier.

Our only over-night port is Kauai. If we do a one day rental, is there a certain time cars must be returned or could we keep it later...like 10 pm?

We left Kauai at 2pm on the second day and chose not to keep the car overnight. The last shuttle from "Dollar" was at 8pm but you could return the car up to 11pm but would have to take a cab back to the ship.

If we do a 2-day rental in Kauai where do we park the car overnight? Cost?

There is street parking if you are lucky enough to find it and there is a $20 parking lot that fills up quickly. When we took the 8pm shuttle back to the ship, the lot was almost full and there was no street parking left.

FYI/tips

I originally booked through the "Dollar" site but made changes to some through the "Discount Hawaii" site. My advice is to book now and check back periodically as rental prices flucuate like the stock market.

the following were my prices:

Maui overnight $89 + $16 gas Altima

Hilo $35 + $11 gas Camaro Conv. (free upgrade)

Kona $55 + $6 gas Versa (from King Kame hotel, not airport)

Kauai $31 + $6 gas Chrysler 200

Honolulu $24 + $12 gas Altima

I used my Garmin GPS as I had programed some of the addresses in it. In hindsight, I would just do a "search" of the "attractions category" or use the "spell" function. Addresses on the websites are not always the attractions but the mailing addresses.

Buy the Tri-Park Hawaii National park pass for $25 at your first stop. This pass allows the driver and up to 3 passengers annual access to Haleakala National Park (Maui), Hawaii's Volcano National Park (Hilo), and Pu'uhonua O Honanau national Park (Kona). All 3 are spectacular and different experiences. Get there early and listen to the ranger talks at the visitor centers before heading out to explore. Haleakala at 10,000+ feet is spectacular (DWs favorite) and POH at sea level was my favorite. Next to POH is a public beach for snorkeling and I assume there will be lots of fish to see as we spotted the schools of them from shore through the crystal clear waters. Neither is as crowded as VNP but equally impressive.

Book a whale watching tour in Ma'alaea (Maui) with the non-profit "Pacific Whale Foundation" for only $39 as they said there will be up to 8000+ humpbacks in Hawaii in Feb/Mar. we did manage to see 6 there last week but the early season rate was only $25 online. Ma'alaea is only 20 minutes from the ship by the Maui ocea Center.

We hiked (2+ hours) the spectacular Mahaulepu Heritage Trail (along the cliffs of the Poipu Golf Course) and hung out at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai but I suggest seeing Waimea Canyon if it's your first visit. If you're up to it, maybe do the hike and the canyon.

Edited by lamchops

Thank you for the incredibly helpful information, Lamchops!! This was exactly the type of information I was hoping for!

I have made some car rental reservations already, but other than Maui, you found much LOWER prices. (I will keep checking to see if I can do better!) Were these amounts that you listed the base price or the total with fees & taxes?

We will be staying for four nights in Honolulu post-cruise and we need to decide whether to rent a car for the entire time or not. We are traveling with another couple so at least we can split the cost of the rental and parking fees.

Thanks also for the advice on the national park pass...good to know. VNP and Haleakala are both on our list of things to do, but I hadn't heard of Pu'uhonua O Honanau National Park.

The whale watching tour sounds amazing, but since we will only have one day in Maui (due to our unique cruise itinerary for the POA) we probably won't have time. (I wonder what the chances of seeing whales from the ship would be? :confused:) We were fortunate to have taken a whale watch tour in Alaska last year so seeing other sites on the island will take priority.

Thanks again for the info. Do you plan to do any type of cruise review? Would love to hear about your trip in detail!! :)

Lamchops...hoping you will see this...just one more question!

How did you schedule your car pick-up times compared to the published docking time of the ship? For example in Hilo, the schedule shows the ship will be docked from 8 am to 6 pm. What time did you schedule pick up and drop off? (I know you have to be back onboard at least a half hour earlier in the evening.)

Sorry if this seems like a silly question. :)

The prices I quoted was what I was invoiced for after I returned the car. I had cancelled and rebooked as many as 3 times. When you go to the "Dollar" site, click on the "city specials" tab for some lower rates. I put the gas prices down to give a general idea of total cost.

I scheduled based on 1.5 hours after the ship docked but DW was always running late and we picked up after the reserved time on most days. I scheduled drop-off 1 hour before all aboard. It really didn't seem to matter as the rental is based on 24 hours so price was never affected.

As for renting in Oahu, the parking seems to run another $25 per day if it's available. Pre-booking from the airport for the 4 days may be a similiar cost to booking from a hotel location for 2 days as needed. If your hotel will give/promise you a parking space, I would like the flexibility.

"Google" Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Park to see if it is of interest. I certainly enjoyed the site.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it's easy to sign up for the "Loyalty" membership of any company you book with. You don't need to have used them previously. We were already members with Enterprise, but we found their prices not to be competitive when we were last in the islands. Thrifty had the best prices, so we just signed up. You can always sign up later as well and then just have the membership number added to your booking. This allows you to get into the 'members only' line at the counter and may save you a little time.

On the Big Island, in Hilo, we rented from here. They picked us up and dropped us off at the port.

http://www.harpershawaii.com/

On Kauai, a short walk from the port in Nawiliwili, we walked up and rented from a place next to a snorkel/dive shop. Forgot the name, can dig for my receipt if anyone wants, but it worked for us.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Maui for 11 days in fall 2016 - by checking CC - ports of call, I found this thread and booked a car for the 11 days, saving more than 50% over any other site/direct car site.

Cruise Critic helps in more ways than just cruise info!

Thank you!

We've almost always booked Budget, Thrifty or Dollar on the various islands and sometimes do Enterprise if the location works for a day or two. It is totally YMMV and staffing and location based as to how good a value it is. I've been places where they had one person working a line and waited 30' and good luck where 3 people and less than 5'. The worst was at the airport location where they were waiting for rental returns for the outgoing reservations and was like an hour wait.

Price is one thing, but you can't predict the inventory and how over booked they may be. But I agree with the recommendation, avoid the airport locations if you can!

• 3 weeks later...
On the Big Island, in Hilo, we rented from here. They picked us up and dropped us off at the port.

http://www.harpershawaii.com/

On Kauai, a short walk from the port in Nawiliwili, we walked up and rented from a place next to a snorkel/dive shop. Forgot the name, can dig for my receipt if anyone wants, but it worked for us.

THANK YOU for mentioning Harper ... today we called them and booked a 4WD in Hilo (driving up Mauna Kea!!) and a car in Kona (sold out on other car hire websites!!).

Two happy campers here :D:D

Edited by bluesea777

THANK YOU for mentioning Harper ... today we called them and booked a 4WD in Hilo (driving up Mauna Kea!!) and a car in Kona (sold out on other car hire websites!!).

Hopefully you've done some research about the road to the summit, potential for altitude sickness, and know to check very carefully when you pick up the vehicle from Harper's for existing damage. I've read reports from others who say that Harper's check the underside of the vehicle for damage when you return it (due to the condition of the road to the summit.) There are reviews on Yelp for them.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/visiting-mauna-kea/visiting-the-summit.html

Edited by Susan-M

Glad it worked out for you. Have a great time! We'll be on Maui in March. 👍 excited!

• 1 month later...

hey arymay, i dont have an answer for you as i am in the middle of planning my Hawaiian cruise in april. when do you get back from yours? i was hoping to be able to ask you a few questions when you return.

hey arymay, i dont have an answer for you as i am in the middle of planning my Hawaiian cruise in april. when do you get back from yours? i was hoping to be able to ask you a few questions when you return.

We are spending a few days in Oahu at the end of our cruise and should be home at the beginning of April.

I would be happy to "try" and answer your questions! ;)

I plan on blogging about our trip, but it will happend AFTER we get home.

• 3 months later...
I just got off the POA and we rented a car in each port. I'll post my observations while it's fresh on my mind.

the following were my prices:

Maui overnight $89 + $16 gas Altima

Hilo $35 + $11 gas Camaro Conv. (free upgrade)

Kona $55 + $6 gas Versa (from King Kame hotel, not airport)

Kauai $31 + $6 gas Chrysler 200

Honolulu $24 + $12 gas Altima

KONA - The price at the airport is $32 and at King Kame $82. Is it really worth $50 more to avoid the airport? I'll check prices again as I am aware they fluctuate.

KONA - The price at the airport is $32 and at King Kame $82. Is it really worth $50 more to avoid the airport? I'll check prices again as I am aware they fluctuate.

It was for us, after the hassle of shuttles to and from airport in Maui & Hilo (and, after Kona, in Kauai...).

BUT, we paid 57$ for a compact car, including all insurance + GPS, for a few hours.

It was for us, after the hassle of shuttles to and from airport in Maui & Hilo (and, after Kona, in Kauai...).

BUT, we paid 57$ for a compact car, including all insurance + GPS, for a few hours.

Searched again and got a compact in Kona for $55! Thanks for the heads-up!