CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I called the hotel yesterday about the shuttle to the mall - it's the same shuttle that does the airport runs, and it runs "on demand". They said for the ride from the mall back to the airport, to just call the hotel and it would be there shortly. The mall is literally across the street, but I wouldn't have wanted to walk it alone at night. If I was with someone, it wouldn't have been a problem for me to walk! :)

They tried to sell me the round trip shuttle with the pier to airport option but I declined. The man at the desk asked how I intended to get to the airport and I told him from my experience, there are shared airport shuttles waiting to go to each airport and are easy to get! (Which is true - I've taken them 3 times). I didn't want to get stuck waiting for the hotel one to get to the airport. The transfer ticket says that if you're returning, to proceed through baggage claim and then call the number on the paper and wait for the shuttle (it's a shared one between hotels). That would go for the airport as well as the hotels, but I'm unsure of the logistics of getting to the airport. I imagine it maybe stops at the airport on the way back to the hotels since it's very close.

Great thanks for all the info we will do that too. We were going to do the hotel both ways but if we can easily get one if the shared shuttles at the pier that is fabulous. I think it's been mentioned but do you recall how much pp those shared shuttles are at the pier? And I am assuming one shuttle only goes to one airport right?

Yes last time I was there they had separate shuttles to each airport. I believe it's around $18 or $20pp for the shuttle to EWR - in line with the hotel pricing. I think Carol gave the price a few weeks or so ago (if you backtrack on this thread).

There was a sign for airport shuttles, and they would ask you which airport and assign a shuttle accordingly. It went straight to the airport! Just make sure you're on the right level/right area! They didn't tell me one time that I had to go upstairs to check in for my flight back to Toronto and I had waited in a very long line for help for nothing!

Shuttle from Cape Liberty to EWR is $28.50.

Yikes! I didn't realize it was so much now (especially in comparison to the cost of the hotel's shuttle).

You may be better off buying your shuttle ride direct from the hotel and figuring out the airport thing - assuming you have enough time in case it comes back to the hotels before the airport.

Yikes! I didn't realize it was so much now (especially in comparison to the cost of the hotel's shuttle).

You may be better off buying your shuttle ride direct from the hotel and figuring out the airport thing - assuming you have enough time in case it comes back to the hotels before the airport.

They recently raised the price to match the cost of the cruise line transfer.

I will ask the hotel how exactly their return from the pier works and if they go back to hotel only to have us get on another shuttle or wait again to go to airport. If it is to long then we will do the one at the pier. Now when you say to make sure you are on right level do mean in order to get the shuttle or for check in at airport?

I was looking at possibly doing the New York tour and airport transfer is it worth it? the RCL reviews are split. Its been ages since I have been to the city and thought it would be a good way to kill some time.

It's probably not great, but what's your alternative if you have several hours to kill before a flight? I'm not aware of anyone who does a private tour, and even if they did it would probably be much more expensive.

I am looking for a Marriott or Hilton near the port, can anyone help me please?

Hilton Newark Penn Station is 10 miles from Cape Liberty. We stayed there last May for three pre-cruise nights. Across the street from the Prudential Center and on the edge of Portuguese neighborhood (Ironbound District) with loads of interesting restaurants. Loved the convenience of the covered walkway right into Newark Penn Station to catch the trains into Manhattan. Drive to Cape Liberty was about 25 minutes on a Sunday morning.

Loved the convenience of the covered walkway right into Newark Penn Station to catch the trains into Manhattan.

More than just convenience!! I use PATH trains occasionally to visit my cousin in Jersey. Once we were in Atlantic City and he dropped me off at the same door that I always use. But this time it was 2am and the door was locked. I turned around and he was gone. So I walked alone in the dark to the other side of the terminal. SCARY!!! The covered walkway is very helpful-- and much safer than going outside in the dark.

I have read most of the 1500+ posts on here and many others, and I have to admit that I may be more confused than ever. The transportation system seem a tad overwhelming to a California driver. First the facts:

Cruise departure: Sunday 10/2/16 (Summit - 2 week NE/Canada)

Airport/Flight: undecided

Arrival to NY/NJ: Either Wed 9/28 or Thursday 9/29 (the day will be spent flying and we wouldn't arrive until late afternoon/early evening) So depending on our arrival date, we would have either 2 or 3 full days for touring.

Hotel: prefer IHG since we would like to use points to pay for some/all (Candlewood Suites, Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Indigo, Intercontinental)

Looking at pricing Manhattan is obviously the priciest, then Jersey City, then Secaucus

Price-range:Less than $300 would be nice

Travelers: Hubby and myself (early 50s - no issues walking)

This is our first time in the area!

What we would like to see: 911 Memorial, SOL, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, hubby said something about Yankee stadium..

I'm interested in the HOHO tours and someone mentioned a circle line cruise around the island that sounded interesting. I was a little confused on how the HOHO works, where to get the tickets for each route, it sounded like we needed to go to multiple locations to get tickets. Recommendations please.

My dilemma is for first timers like us, would it be better to stay in Manhattan and save time, or in New Jersey and save money. I've heard posters say the city is better to experience NYC, and other say the opposite.

Could I please get some advise/suggestions

If we pick Manhattan, it sounds like the hassle would be getting from the airport there, then from the hotel to the port.

In Jersey City, would I need a private shuttle to get to the hotel? also if we go with the cheapest choice Secaucus, same question

Also confusing is if we go for two tour days, one would be on Saturday and there was mention of some of the train/buses/horse buggies...not operating on weekends?!?

Ny city pass will have the hoho and the circle line cruise. They offer different amounts of days 1,2,3. Pick up the card at 1 place and it starts your time at that point. We did this in 2012 when we did our ca/ne cruise. We stayed 3 nights prior so we had 2 full days of tour so we got the 2 day pass. Includes all museums, top of the rock, empire, sol, circle cruise and lots of other nyc sites...so worth it and saved us loads of money. You pick up the credit card like pass at 1 place not far from times sq. Also includes a night bus to brooklyn not hoho to see nyc skyline at night.

madridgirl, I posted last evening in response to another poster, but my information may be helpful to you, too. Although the Hilton Newark Penn Station is not one of your preferred IHGs, it is reasonably priced (I recall my online reservation was in the $149 plus tax per night range--quite the deal!) and so easy to get into Manhattan...PATH train goes right into the new World Trade Center station and NJ Transit train into mid-town, close to Times Square. Both these options are easy to figure out, low fares, and as I said in my previous post, can be accessed through the Hilton walkway.

If I weren't going on a cruise out of Cape Liberty at the end of my NYC time, I'd want to stay in Manhattan. But, so much easier to get to the port if you're already on the NJ side.

My opinion about using HOHOs for transportation around Manhattan is DON'T DO IT. They're a nice way to get a visual/sensory feel for a given area (depending on which HOHO route you take), but to use those busses to get from Site A to Site B can be time-wasting and frustrating. Download the NYC Subway app and use that system, hail a cab, or walk.

Regardless of your choices, have a fabulous first visit to NYC and a marvelous cruise!

I have read most of the 1500+ posts on here and many others, and I have to admit that I may be more confused than ever. The transportation system seem a tad overwhelming to a California driver. First the facts:

Cruise departure: Sunday 10/2/16 (Summit - 2 week NE/Canada)

Airport/Flight: undecided

Arrival to NY/NJ: Either Wed 9/28 or Thursday 9/29 (the day will be spent flying and we wouldn't arrive until late afternoon/early evening) So depending on our arrival date, we would have either 2 or 3 full days for touring.

Hotel: prefer IHG since we would like to use points to pay for some/all (Candlewood Suites, Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Indigo, Intercontinental)

Looking at pricing Manhattan is obviously the priciest, then Jersey City, then Secaucus

Price-range:Less than $300 would be nice

Travelers: Hubby and myself (early 50s - no issues walking)

This is our first time in the area!

What we would like to see: 911 Memorial, SOL, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, hubby said something about Yankee stadium..

I'm interested in the HOHO tours and someone mentioned a circle line cruise around the island that sounded interesting. I was a little confused on how the HOHO works, where to get the tickets for each route, it sounded like we needed to go to multiple locations to get tickets. Recommendations please.

My dilemma is for first timers like us, would it be better to stay in Manhattan and save time, or in New Jersey and save money. I've heard posters say the city is better to experience NYC, and other say the opposite.

Could I please get some advise/suggestions

If we pick Manhattan, it sounds like the hassle would be getting from the airport there, then from the hotel to the port.

In Jersey City, would I need a private shuttle to get to the hotel? also if we go with the cheapest choice Secaucus, same question

Also confusing is if we go for two tour days, one would be on Saturday and there was mention of some of the train/buses/horse buggies...not operating on weekends?!?

Your first job is to find a hotel in your price range. Know that September in Manhattan is very expensive. The reason why the transportation system is confusing is that you are going interstate and also needing to cross a river.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I think I will end up booking the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. After entering the address and some of the addresses for some of the sights we want to see on maps, the train/subway routes seem less complicated. You'd think someone used to subways in Madrid would think the NJ/NYC transit would be a breeze.

I think now it's figuring out how to get from ERW to the hotel. I think to get to the port we should be able to manage via light rail and taxi route.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I'm trying to compare shuttle costs from Cape Liberty to EWR on a Saturday morning for two people, always looking for the best deal . . .

Shared shuttle at the port post-cruise - $28.50/person - does anyone know if that include tolls?

Dial 7 - $45/two not incl. tolls

Carmel - $44/two not incl. tolls

What are tolls going to run?

TIA.

Edited by mdepsmom

I'm trying to compare shuttle costs from Cape Liberty to EWR on a Saturday morning for two people, always looking for the best deal . . .

Shared shuttle at the port post-cruise - $28.50/person - does anyone know if that include tolls?

Dial 7 - $45/two not incl. tolls

Carmel - $44/two not incl. tolls

What are tolls going to run?

TIA.

Tolls are included in the shared shuttle price.

You should also add a gratuity for the driver. About $5 for 2 people for the shared shuttle...about $8 or $10 for the car service.

Big advantage for the car service: Not only is it a bit cheaper, but it's your private car, ready to leave when you're ready. You have to wait until the shared shuttle van fills before it leaves for the airport, and you get to ride shoulder-to-shoulder with a lot of people you don't know.

The toll for this trip is very minimal...$1.65.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you guys for the feedback. I think I will end up booking the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. After entering the address and some of the addresses for some of the sights we want to see on maps, the train/subway routes seem less complicated. You'd think someone used to subways in Madrid would think the NJ/NYC transit would be a breeze.

I think now it's figuring out how to get from ERW to the hotel. I think to get to the port we should be able to manage via light rail and taxi route.

I think you made a wise choice. :-).

In 2012 we did the shared shuttle from Country Inn and Suites. The ride over to the old terminal was fine, it just took forever--over an hour. After we'd picked up our luggage and went through Customs, we waited forever for the return shuttle. It finally showed up, we load up and start to leave. All of a sudden, the driver headed back to the terminal for more passengers to fill up the remaining couple of seats. We were not happy. Two years and a new terminal later, we used a private car service (Independent Driver). A much better experience. I'd go with a private car service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings from the Adventure. I think you have a good plan. By flying into EWR and staying in Jersey City you will minimize your transportation costs, have the option to use points, and will have excellent access to NYC. The one place I would consider spending money is to take a taxi from EWR to Candlewood Suites. You can get there from the airport via public transit, but it is multiple transfers. $8.75/pp for the short NJTransit train ride from the Newark Airport Station (accessible us the free Airtrain from your terminal), $2.75/pp for PATH to Exchange Place, and $2.10/pp for the light rail to Candlewood Suites, which is located about 6-7 blocks from Exchange Place. A cab would be in the $65 range including tip.

To go to lower Manhattan you can walk to Exchange Place and take PATH. To go to midtown Manhattan you can walk to Newport and take PATH. If your wandering NYC, you can take the subway back to either 33rd St or World Trade to get PATH back to NJ. Depending on where you are, it can actually be faster to go through World Trade if you have to take the subway anyway.

Hotel to port should be easy from Candlewoid Suites. The light rail is right there by the hotel. Do you have the cab phone numbers?

Greetings from the Adventure. ...

Hotel to port should be easy from Candlewoid Suites. The light rail is right there by the hotel. Do you have the cab phone numbers?

Thank you so much for taking time from your cruise to reply.

I don't have the cab numbers, but can find them...I think I saw them on tomsportguide.

Thanks again everyone for your input. I reserved the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City for 3 nights using points/cash. It would have cost double in Manhattan. Now I need to wait a few months before I can book our flights to use our SW points.

This board has really been invaluable and I really appreciate all the expertise that is shared. I know it has to be time consuming, but boy is it appreciated!!

Thanks again!!