UBER is back in Ft Lauderdale

royalcruz

Hello all; i have been skimming posts but not finding the answer to a question we have. Last Christmas we booked a limo to the airport from our house for 6 people but they refused to take our luggage and refused to cancel the trip so we had to drive there separately and then pay for Ohare parking just to lug the luggage that didn't fit in the trunk of the limo. Then in Florida, my husband had booked a limo with a trailer on it to the hotel and then again to the port which worked out ok but was very expensive...

We are going in end of July, just 5 of us and I'm telling my motherinlaw she can only have 1 suitcase and 1 carryon (she usually brings a lot haha) so maybe total we will have 3 suitcases, 1 garment bag and 1 carryon. We usually stay at DoubleTree in Fort Lauderdale but this time I think we are just going to fly/stay/cruise all out of Miami. Can we fit that kind of luggage in an uberxl?? I thought I heard about shuttles like you use for car rental places in some airports? Hotel shuttle would be the best but I heard complaints about that, but no specifics? Thanks in advance!

UberXL drivers are supposed to have seating for 5 or more. The UberXL I have been in were large suvs with lots of room for luggage.

Once you request a ride, you see the driver and car type. You could always have another person in your party request a car if your first car is too small.

You also have the ability to cancel the ride.

Hi -

Never used Uber before - thinking of trying for our trip from POM to FLL.

The fare estimator appears to be about the same costs as the shared shuttles. (before any first time Uber user coupons)

I noticed they list a pick up charge of $4.50 for FLL. Does anyone know if this is also an additional charge if dropping off at FLL ?

Thanks a bunch

Hi -

Never used Uber before - thinking of trying for our trip from POM to FLL.

The fare estimator appears to be about the same costs as the shared shuttles. (before any first time Uber user coupons)

I noticed they list a pick up charge of $4.50 for FLL. Does anyone know if this is also an additional charge if dropping off at FLL ?

Thanks a bunch

I don't believe so, but they do have an additional charge to pick up from port everglades. I think 2.50.

Hello all; i have been skimming posts but not finding the answer to a question we have. Last Christmas we booked a limo to the airport from our house for 6 people but they refused to take our luggage and refused to cancel the trip so we had to drive there separately and then pay for Ohare parking just to lug the luggage that didn't fit in the trunk of the limo. Then in Florida, my husband had booked a limo with a trailer on it to the hotel and then again to the port which worked out ok but was very expensive...

We are going in end of July, just 5 of us and I'm telling my motherinlaw she can only have 1 suitcase and 1 carryon (she usually brings a lot haha) so maybe total we will have 3 suitcases, 1 garment bag and 1 carryon. We usually stay at DoubleTree in Fort Lauderdale but this time I think we are just going to fly/stay/cruise all out of Miami. Can we fit that kind of luggage in an uberxl?? I thought I heard about shuttles like you use for car rental places in some airports? Hotel shuttle would be the best but I heard complaints about that, but no specifics? Thanks in advance!

At Ft Lauderdale airport we went to the Taxi stand and took the first large SUV in the line. 6 people and cruise luggage. Well under $20. See my post above for link to fare estimator.

UberXL is required to fit 6 people. Right now Miami does not have a separate SUV category, so you could would get a minivan or SUV with 3rd row seats. If everyone packs fairly light it would work. But if everyone brings a big 29" roller and a carry on bag, you may have a pretty tight squeeze.

UberXL is required to fit 6 people. Right now Miami does not have a separate SUV category, so you could would get a minivan or SUV with 3rd row seats. If everyone packs fairly light it would work. But if everyone brings a big 29" roller and a carry on bag, you may have a pretty tight squeeze.

It surprises me that UberXL is required to fit 6 people. We just used it in FLL for 4 of us. And there were only 4 seats avail and our luggage just fit.

I'm sorry, I did not see that. Yes, Uber can pick up and drop off at the Port of Miami, Port Everglades, FLL, and MIA.

All you need is regular Uber. You don't need Uber XL.

Once you use it you'll wonder why you ever even gave it a second thought. It couldn't be easier to use and it is always cheaper than a cab (well, other than NYE).

Thanks, where we live there is no Uber and it just started up in the nearest city to us. If we go there we drive so no need for it. Uber is new to Canada, I think it is more popular in the bigger cities here.

I just tried to use the estimator and it says it cant find fort Lauderdale.

That is the same answer when I tried to do an estimator for Fort Lauderdale.

One more question, do we pay with cash or do they use the credit card on file ? and a tip is extra ? about how much ?

If you put in Miami when it asks for the city, then use the address for the airport and for where you are going, it will give you an estimate. (We're flying into FLL, and then going to the Intercontinental for 2 days pre cruise) For us it said between $35 - $43. My question is, when are the SURGE prices in effect? (we're flying in Sat. 5 pm). Any help is appreciated!

We just got back from our cruise. Used Uber to get from FLL to our hotel, worked flawlessly! The only tip I can add is when you walk out the doors, there are places in between each terminal for "commercial/commuter" transportation.

Our driver told us that is where they are instructed to pick up passengers.

Easy trip, knowledgeable driver, great experience!:)

We just got back from our cruise. Used Uber to get from FLL to our hotel, worked flawlessly! The only tip I can add is when you walk out the doors, there are places in between each terminal for "commercial/commuter" transportation.

Our driver told us that is where they are instructed to pick up passengers.

Easy trip, knowledgeable driver, great experience!:)

Was your hotel in Fort lauderdale or Miami? What was the total fare?

If you put in Miami when it asks for the city, then use the address for the airport and for where you are going, it will give you an estimate. (We're flying into FLL, and then going to the Intercontinental for 2 days pre cruise) For us it said between $35 - $43. My question is, when are the SURGE prices in effect? (we're flying in Sat. 5 pm). Any help is appreciated!

Uber lets you know when a surge is happening. It can be for a few minutes or a couple of hours.

Surge can happen at last call when everyone is trying to get home or for a sporting event.

I redownloaded the uber app and I was able to get an estimate. That time it found Fort Lauderdale. I did not have to put in Miami. It told me 17 - $22 to get to my hotel in Hollywood. I am wondering about the increased rates as well, we will be there this Friday night, I think around 10 p.m. I hope there are drivers in the area then.

That is the same answer when I tried to do an estimator for Fort Lauderdale.

One more question, do we pay with cash or do they use the credit card on file ? and a tip is extra ? about how much ?

When you do the fare estimator, say you are going from MIA to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, you need to put in an actual Fort Lauderdale address. You can't just put in Fort Lauderdale.

You keep a credit or debit card on file. I think mine is actually hooked to my pay pal address.

However since I threw my iphone off the boat the other day, I'm currently without Uber.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know, if Uber taxi have children car seat ? or can I request a car seats from them ? where can I ask ?or request ?:confused:

I was told, child at 2 years old require a car seats, even from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port Ever.

only car seat is not require, when you take big vehicle ( cruise line shuttle ).

Edited by candykwong

We are so glad to hear that we can use Uber in Fort Lauderdale! I'd heard about the disputes they were having. We were planning on taking our hotel's shuttle to the port (NEXT SUNDAY! :):)) but that'd be $10p/p and the Uber fare estimator says $7-$10 total. Yippppeeeee.

I live in the San Francisco bay area so Uber is my friend - use it all the time...happy to have the opportunity to use it in Florida!

Edited by Dare2Believe

Can more than one person use this code? I have seen several codes and are planning to use Uber for the first time in Miami for our Fort Lauderdale Equinox cruise on February 22. I have written a couple down but don't want to get there and find out the code has already been used and is no longer available.