Hyatt Pier 66 for sale

Moonlitherial

We are booked at the Hyatt 66 for the end of this month. Why is everyone concerned about being booked there in the short term????? Wouldn't now be the best time to be booked short term ie prior to June?? Its in their best interest to maintain that place and run it as smooth as possible.

If your selling your car you wash it and fix the little things that are obvious to get the best price. Doesn't that apply to this hotel also? Or am I missing some Real Estate selling technique??

Short term it looks like there is no issue but people booking rooms a few months out should be aware.

Warning - video in the news link.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-hyatt-pier-66-hotel-for-sale-20160203-story.html

Commercial properties of this magnitude take YEARS to sell.

The paperwork alone will easily take 12 months.

Others may disagree, but this is my opinion:

I hope whomever the new owner may be will have the good sense to put the Top of the Pier venue back into service in some capacity and make it available to the public and not just use it as a private function room.

Others may disagree, but this is my opinion:

I hope whomever the new owner may be will have the good sense to put the Top of the Pier venue back into service in some capacity and make it available to the public and not just use it as a private function room.

While that would be lovely, it is too big to keep open all the time. They lose so much money which is why they don't open it to the public.

They used to have Sunday brunch up there and I believe they've discontinued that. People will not pay.

Cruisers will not pay $17 for a glass of wine at the top.

I think the only reason people would need to have a backup in place is if they want their Hyatt points. At some point this year, they are not going to be a Hyatt anymore. But it's not going to close it's doors after it's Hyatt affiliation ends. They will just become something generic like "The Pier 66 Hotel" or something until they are sold and the new owner applies to whatever hotel brand they hope to join (if any).

Similar thing just happened with the former Comfort Suites on Federal Highway and 17th St. The hotel is changing affiliation from Comfort Suites to Four Points by Sheraton and in the meantime, is known as the Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port Inn.

• 3 weeks later...

I've already booked here for next February using points but according to that article their Hyatt affiliation may end in 2016.

Hopefully they don't transfer the reservation to the Hyatt Place. I don't want to waste my free nights on that. Otherwise I will have to drop 40k IHG points on a Holiday Inn Express...No thanks!