NCL Splash Academy-3 year old

brady123

We are going on NCL Pearl this month on a 3 day cruise. Our daughter is 3.5 years old and I'm not sure if she is a "Guppy" or a "Turtle" the difference seeming to be about whether the parents get to stay or not (or maybe I'm wrong). I asked my daughter if she wants to go to the "kids club" where mommy and daddy leave her, and she's just not keen on being left there (not that she's used to being away from us, she goes to daycare at home 5 days a week). I looked at NCL website and it says 0-3 is guppy and 3-5 is turtle. I wouldn't mind going with her to the "guppy" time either, just not sure she's the right age? Any advice? Thank you!!!

Guppies is for under 3, but I doubt you would be kicked out if you took a well behaved 3 year old. She may find the activities (once or twice a day things like story time, songs, art stuff) too young since they are geared toward toddlers, and outside of those short activities it is just a room with toddler toys where little ones can play with their parents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guppies is meant for under three but I think if a three year old is not potty trained and cannot go to Turtles they could go with the Guppies.

We've been on the Pearl three times with our daughter, when she was 22 months, just turned three and just turned four. When she was 22 months we did a few of the activities like painting and playing with toys but she still took a long nap so we missed a lot of activity times.

When she just had turned three was our first time at the club. She was ok with being left but didn't think it was that great because she thought her daycare friends were going to be there so she was disappointed. At 3 1/2 we were on the Star for two weeks in the Panama Canal and that's when she started loving the kids' club. Maybe because it was longer and maybe because there weren't many kids and she got to know everyone, but that's all she wanted to do. Last March we were on the Pearl again and she was really excited to go to the kids' club.

Go the first night and sign her up. If you never go, it doesn't matter. You're not committing to anything. The first time you go, just come back in an hour and she if she still wants to stay. I did that twice the first time and she still wanted to stay. They will give you a pager or phone if you want to and they can contact you if there's a problem. (If they can't go to the bathroom alone, you are required to take one.)

On that first cruise she only went twice but after that it was as many times as she could. If she connects with a counselor or another kid, I think she'll want to go back more easily. However, if you go to the club, no parents are allowed.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work out I think you could always play with them in the toy room. No one really monitors that. Have fun!

Guppies is for under 3, but I doubt you would be kicked out if you took a well behaved 3 year old. She may find the activities (once or twice a day things like story time, songs, art stuff) too young since they are geared toward toddlers, and outside of those short activities it is just a room with toddler toys where little ones can play with their parents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my three year old loves playing with the toddler toys! She did on RCL (they let her in the nursery with us during open hours) and last week on CCL, they let her pick a few toys from the under 2's room (they had all the good toys! the other room was books, puzzles, computers, tv, wii's. NOT what she wanted). She found a little people princess castle and played happily.

I'd sign her up, but if she doesn't want to go, then still take her to play with you for set activities/times. Chances are, since they 'new' toys, she'll play and have fun.

As a former preschool teacher (23 years) of 3 yr. olds, do not ask if she wants to go to the club where "mommy and daddy will leave her". :eek: Just go to the kids club, let her see it and the other kids and what they are doing. Let her meet the counselors and chances are she will want to stay. :)

Thank you for all the helpful replies! I will def take her the first night and see if it looks like fun (and leave out the "mommy and daddy will leave you") which she isn't too keen on. Hopefully she will think it looks great and we can leave her there to play for a bit!

Guppies is meant for under three but I think if a three year old is not potty trained and cannot go to Turtles they could go with the Guppies.

Children do not have to be potty trained to participate in Turtles on NCL. The only rule is that a listed adult must be available on the ship to change diapers/pull-ups if needed.

• 4 months later...
Children do not have to be potty trained to participate in Turtles on NCL. The only rule is that a listed adult must be available on the ship to change diapers/pull-ups if needed.

Love, love, love cruise critic. My great niece turned 3 on Sunday and we will be boarding the Jewel this Sunday. Potty training is going good but not to sure how the change in environment and excitement will affect it. My niece had just asked me if this was going to be a problem. I looked on NCL and couldn't find anything but checked CC and had an answer in no time at all.

Love, love, love cruise critic. My great niece turned 3 on Sunday and we will be boarding the Jewel this Sunday. Potty training is going good but not to sure how the change in environment and excitement will affect it. My niece had just asked me if this was going to be a problem. I looked on NCL and couldn't find anything but checked CC and had an answer in no time at all.

I was having a hard time finding information on this too...I found the answer on their FAQ portion of the kids club website: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs/faq

What if my child is in diapers?

Splash Academy will accept children in diapers who are eligible to participate in the complimentary, drop-off program. However, Norwegian Youth Counselors are not able to change diapers or pull-ups. The parent or primary guardian will be given a beeper or handy phone to alert them when their child needs assistance. Beepers and handy phones do not work ashore. At least one parent or primary guardian will have to stay on board when their children are signed into the Youth Program and the ship is docked in port.