Things to do in Livorno

midwestchick

I did check it out. Thank you.

I have a feeling cc might think you're a travel agent because of the FB thing.

Apologies for not replying earlier ... busy with website :).

NOT a travel agent! Been a Onboard Future Consultant and had enough of booking cruises. Just writing and sharing 20 years of experience at sea, ports, destinations. By the way, just finished and published San Gimignano ... might be of interest to you. Will publish Siena before end of the week, hopefully!

I also think you can have an enjoyable day in Livorno.. The surrounding hill towns in Tuscany are lovely but every once in a while we want a less busy day and find Livorno does have some charm. We agree with the suggestion regarding the market. We have been twice, once shopping with our chef, and I do not recall the walk being more than 10 minutes from where we docked. I also enjoyed just wandering around the little ""canals" looking at the colorful fishing boats.

Edited by Chairsin

I also think you can have an enjoyable day in Livorno.. The surrounding hill towns in Tuscany are lovely but every once in a while we want a less busy day and find Livorno does have some charm. We agree with the suggestion regarding the market. We have been twice, once shopping with our chef, and I do not recall the walk being more than 10 minutes from where we docked. I also enjoyed just wandering around the little ""canals" looking at the colorful fishing boats.

Nice to know there is at least one other cruiser that enjoys walking around Livorno. The "little canals" must be the area known as Quartieri Venezia - it was part of the ideal city. By the way, lovely restaurants there as well ...

Not many go as far as the Teatro Goldoni ... its a great area as well. And the beaches are completely ignored by everyone ... never understood why.

Apologies for not replying earlier ... busy with website :).

NOT a travel agent! Been a Onboard Future Consultant and had enough of booking cruises. Just writing and sharing 20 years of experience at sea, ports, destinations. By the way, just finished and published San Gimignano ... might be of interest to you. Will publish Siena before end of the week, hopefully!

Have you published one of Greve?

Have you published one of Greve?

Greve is on the plans but not for now. It is a wonderful wine town (Chianti) - did a photo reportage when a travel journalist 2 decades ago and on holidays 2008 (?). If you like to drive it is easy to get there from Livorno, otherwise you'll have to go to Florence and then get on a bus.

Greve is on the plans but not for now. It is a wonderful wine town (Chianti) - did a photo reportage when a travel journalist 2 decades ago and on holidays 2008 (?). If you like to drive it is easy to get there from Livorno, otherwise you'll have to go to Florence and then get on a bus.

I have a private tour booked in August. We will be visiting Greve in Chianti and Castellina and 2 more very small villages, which will just be brief stops. Off hand I don't recall the names.

Ok, at the risk of being flamed we will post some personal thoughts about Livorno! The city is OK and yes, there are a few nice places to walk/explore. But port days (unlike lengthy land trips) are all about making tough choices. We have spent a lot of time in this region of Tuscany and Livorno is far down our list of desirable places to spend a day. In fact, we are soon going to be on a long Med cruise and will again have a day in Livorno which happens to be on a Sunday! Our current thinking is to simply rent a car (delivered at the port by Sifracar) and head towards Cinque Terre (probably Riomaggiore) although we may certainly change our mind depending on the weather and our thoughts at the time (which is why we love rental cars). But of all the options (especially on a Sunday) staying in Livorno might be ranked down about #25! IMHO there are just too many better options in the region.

And why we are on the topic of options, we do love the wine road (S222) options booked by midwestchick. That part of Chianti is delightful for wine lovers....and the scenery is very easy on the eye :).

Hank

Ok, at the risk of being flamed we will post some personal thoughts about Livorno! The city is OK and yes, there are a few nice places to walk/explore. But port days (unlike lengthy land trips) are all about making tough choices. We have spent a lot of time in this region of Tuscany and Livorno is far down our list of desirable places to spend a day. In fact, we are soon going to be on a long Med cruise and will again have a day in Livorno which happens to be on a Sunday! Our current thinking is to simply rent a car (delivered at the port by Sifracar) and head towards Cinque Terre (probably Riomaggiore) although we may certainly change our mind depending on the weather and our thoughts at the time (which is why we love rental cars). But of all the options (especially on a Sunday) staying in Livorno might be ranked down about #25! IMHO there are just too many better options in the region.

And why we are on the topic of options, we do love the wine road (S222) options booked by midwestchick. That part of Chianti is delightful for wine lovers....and the scenery is very easy on the eye :).

Hank

Thanks, Hank. Actually, I went back and looked and found the itinerary for the day.

We begin with Badia a Passignano, noted for its abbey built by Vallumbrosan monks in the 11th century, and Montefioralle, a Medieval borgo deemed “one of the most beautiful hamlets in Italy”. These two hamlets will not take much time to visit.

The morning concludes in the capital of the region, Greve in Chianti, with its lovely porticoes and an array of interesting shops and boutiques. History buffs will note the monument to Giovanni da Verrazzano, the explorer of the Atlantic coast of North America who discovered, among other things, the Hudson River.

We will then drive to Castellina where we will have free time before returning to the ship.

Hopefully you will get some time for wine tasting. Our last visit to Greve was not my "finest moment." We parked on the street and I forgot to set the parking disk (on my windshield) that would have entitled us to an hour of free parking. We stopped at a market and walked back to our car just in time to see the Police leaving....having put a parking ticket on our car. Since it was "merely" a parking ticket (for about 90€) we did not bother to pay (they did not go after the rental car company for parking tickets). About 4 months later the local police send me a registered letter (to the USA) which cost them more then $20....demanding I send them a check in "Euros." I hope they are still not waiting for that check :).

Hank

Hopefully you will get some time for wine tasting. Our last visit to Greve was not my "finest moment." We parked on the street and I forgot to set the parking disk (on my windshield) that would have entitled us to an hour of free parking. We stopped at a market and walked back to our car just in time to see the Police leaving....having put a parking ticket on our car. Since it was "merely" a parking ticket (for about 90€) we did not bother to pay (they did not go after the rental car company for parking tickets). About 4 months later the local police send me a registered letter (to the USA) which cost them more then $20....demanding I send them a check in "Euros." I hope they are still not waiting for that check :).

Hank

I'm sure DH will get some wine tasting in. Good thing we are not driving. 😉

He usually buys wine to take home and also usually opens a bottle to drink on the balcony. One thing we love about Azamarz is they do not confiscate your purchases. Personally, I don't drink wine, because it gives me a migraine....but I do like to try the local beers. 😋 A little Peroni in the refrigerator for the balcony is a good thing. ☺️

We took the shuttle into town, free and then wandered around. Went in the churches, market (indoor and outdoor), a few nice shops, sat outside a café and had a nice coffee and just generally chilled.

When we had had enough, we wandered back to the bus stop and caught the shuttle back .

Most places had free Wi-Fi which was nice.

Thanks d-Portman. Loved your link and anxiously awaiting info on Florence. First time med. need lots of info.

Suffice it to say Florence is simply an amazing city whether visiting on a port day, spending a few days as a tourist, living there as a student, etc. Over the years quite a few travel authorities have ranked it among the top 2-3 tourist cities in the world. Having been there many times on port days (on our own) or just when we stay a few days (Hotel David) on our Italy driving trips...we never tire of the city, its architecture, beauty, museums, food, etc. For a Port day it is a matter of making tough choices (you cannot see and do everything in a few hours)...many of which should be based your own personal preferences as opposed to a prescribed itinerary put together by a tour company that has no clue to your own preferences.

When we help folks here on CC, we nearly always suggest that if it is your first time in Livorno, go spend the entire day (which is only a few hours) in Florence.

Hank

Thanks d-Portman. Loved your link and anxiously awaiting info on Florence. First time med. need lots of info.

Million thanks for the compliments. Florence, Lucca and Pisa are coming soon!!!! When are you cruising the med? In the meantime, just published San Gimignano and Siena - the latter is a must! Also published Corfu (Greece). I shouldn't be posting links as I got ears pulled by cc ... oh well. But you can post links, if you find useful info on the site. Safe sailings and all the best.

I have a private tour booked in August. We will be visiting Greve in Chianti and Castellina and 2 more very small villages, which will just be brief stops. Off hand I don't recall the names.

Great plan to tour Tuscany! One of my favorite regions in Europe. Just published San Gimignano and Siena (the latter with my best square in the World). If you don't make it on the cruise try to include Siena on the tour. By the way, the Palio is astonishing - check the video on the overview page. BUT you will have to book pretty soon as it gets very, very crowded. Will be off on Saturday for 2 weeks of cruising but should have the rest of Livorno's destinations done pretty soon. Safe sailings and travels.

Hank

You are absolutely right Hank! When I was a cruise consultant and had to do presentations about Livorno use to say that the highlights are so low these are difficult to find, Naturally, I got a lot heat from my comments ... #25 is being optimistic. BUT as you know not everyone enjoys the same things and Livorno can be pleasant for some. By the way the drive to Cinque Terre is nice but I used to get on the train - and then explore on foot.

Great plan to tour Tuscany! One of my favorite regions in Europe. Just published San Gimignano and Siena (the latter with my best square in the World). If you don't make it on the cruise try to include Siena on the tour. By the way, the Palio is astonishing - check the video on the overview page. BUT you will have to book pretty soon as it gets very, very crowded. Will be off on Saturday for 2 weeks of cruising but should have the rest of Livorno's destinations done pretty soon. Safe sailings and travels.

We've done Siena, San Gimignano and Volterra. It was busy when we were there. Enjoy your cruise.

I'll be waiting for the Corfu publication. We visit there in the future also.

You are absolutely right Hank! When I was a cruise consultant and had to do presentations about Livorno use to say that the highlights are so low these are difficult to find, Naturally, I got a lot heat from my comments ... #25 is being optimistic. BUT as you know not everyone enjoys the same things and Livorno can be pleasant for some. By the way the drive to Cinque Terre is nice but I used to get on the train - and then explore on foot.

Using the train from Livorno to Riomaggiore (for Cinque Terre) does not always work well on a port day because of the schedule. We have not taken a look at the future train schedules and worked out the numbers, but I suspect that Euro-Cruiser might pop in on the thread with the details. Keep in mind that in Livorno you would first have to get to (and later from) the train station which usually costs about 25€ for a taxi...assuming you can find a taxi willing to do the short haul. With a car (delivered to the pier) we can be in Riomaggiore (assuming that is the village where we want to park) by 9am.

Exploring on foot is now not totally possible because the "Lovers Walk" train between Riomaggiore and Manarola is still closed (and will be for the foreseeable future). So getting between those two villages requires using either the train, boat, or a car.

Hank

You right Hank: car rental is a better option. Those taxi drivers are a nuisance: the €25 each way almost pay the rental. Shuttle to Piazza Municipio and then bus to train-station takes almost 1 hour ... cheaper but a lot of time on public transportation. By the time I get there you would be having brunch :). Last time I walked the Lover's Walk was 2011 or 12, from La Spezia - time goes by fast. Have you been in Bagni di Lucca? Visited 20 years ago ... No idea how it looks like now.

We've done Siena, San Gimignano and Volterra. It was busy when we were there. Enjoy your cruise.

I'll be waiting for the Corfu publication. We visit there in the future also.

Ooops. Forgot to tell you: Corfu Port Guide has been published already. Still need to add a couple of photos - Paleokastritsa Monastery and a few beaches but most of it is up.

You right Hank: car rental is a better option. Those taxi drivers are a nuisance: the €25 each way almost pay the rental. Shuttle to Piazza Municipio and then bus to train-station takes almost 1 hour ... cheaper but a lot of time on public transportation. By the time I get there you would be having brunch :). Last time I walked the Lover's Walk was 2011 or 12, from La Spezia - time goes by fast. Have you been in Bagni di Lucca? Visited 20 years ago ... No idea how it looks like now.

Oh NO! Please do not give away these wonderful "secret" places like Bagni di Lucca. We have not been there in about 10 years (and it was still charming) but will be back in Livorno (port day) in April where we have reserved a rental car. DW and I have been debating where to drive (it will be a quiet Sunday outside of the main tourist season) and Bagni di Lucca is one option (we probably would not make the decision until that day..depending on the weather. As far as we know, the large cruise ship tours have yet to descend on this quiet village area :). If we do drive to that village we shall have to do some homework and find the perfect restaurant to enjoy a quiet Sunday lunch.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Oh NO! Please do not give away these wonderful "secret" places like Bagni di Lucca. We have not been there in about 10 years (and it was still charming) but will be back in Livorno (port day) in April where we have reserved a rental car. DW and I have been debating where to drive (it will be a quiet Sunday outside of the main tourist season) and Bagni di Lucca is one option (we probably would not make the decision until that day..depending on the weather. As far as we know, the large cruise ship tours have yet to descend on this quiet village area :). If we do drive to that village we shall have to do some homework and find the perfect restaurant to enjoy a quiet Sunday lunch.

Hank

Shall keep it 'top-secret'. Surely will not publish on my website. But let me know if go there ... May explore it this summer as well, just for my own personal pleasure.

This is something I learned a few years ago while in a small port in the UAE which most ships do not go to.

There is much to see in just about each place you stop. You just have to seek it out.

Often as tourists, we want to run from place to place and we forget to smell the roses.

Yes, there are many places more charming than Livorno. With that said, for those who have been to many of them or just for those who need a break in their cruise (I always warn people not to get burnt out on a Med cruise which is easy to do) there are things to take in at Livorno.

You just have to seek them out.

My biggest piece of advice to people is sometimes just slow down. Whether that is at a restaurant slow down and enjoy each mouthful of food and yes, in Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, etc. some local wine.

But as you walk around an area, slow down. Take time. Talk with the locals. Ask questions. Look carefully at the details of what you are viewing.

There is so much out there.

And this is why i love to return to areas that we have been to before. Yes, there is much to see and to learn but sometimes things are right in front of us. We just need to take the time to look carefully for them.

Keith