Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Thank you, Mariam, for the information.

And of course the churches will be open. And stores in the Christian, Muslim and Armenian Quarters of the Old City. Gonna check about the Museums though. I am pretty sure the Rockefeller Archaeological Museum will be open, and maybe the Israel Museum (limited hours).

The Biblical Zoo is open 10-5, The Israel Museum is open 10-5, The Tower of David Museum is open 10-2, The Bible Lands Museum is open 10-3, and The Botanical Gardens are open 9-5.

We are doing an Israel tour this summer and these are the options they provided to us for our Shabbat (Saturday) in Jerusalem. They also suggested Christian Quarter and Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

Thank you, Marian and Hubofhockey!!! I am building a list of places to visit on Shabbat with your kind help.

You're very welcome. I like Marian's advice about doing Tel Aviv or an excursion based from your cruise port elsewhere on Saturday and then going to Jerusalem on Sunday. Our Israel trip is 11 days and we end in Jerusalem from Thursday to Saturday. If I did a cruise that was docked in Ashdod overnight on Saturday, I'd do something outside of Jerusalem on Saturday and save Sunday for Jerusalem.

Our tour group is using Keshet to be our tour leaders and they are shomer shabbat. Our first Saturday is in Tel Aviv and it's a free day. Since our tour does not include Norther Coastal Med of Israel, we contracted a private guide to take us Caesarea, Baha'i Gardens, Rosh Hanikra Grottos, and Akko. I haven't been to Israel in 23 years and I believed it was a waste to just "rest" on a Saturday (we are Reformed and not shomer shabbat).

Edited by hubofhockey

• 2 weeks later...

We are a couple of guys, in our 40s, have no mobility issues and in the past have always tried to explore the port on our own whenever possible. We are very unsure about Israel. We'll be stopping in Haifa for a full day, and then Ashdod for a 2 full days.

We would love to see:

Jerusalem

Bethlehem

Jaffa

Tel Aviv

Masada

Dead Sea

Is it safe to do it on our own? How difficult is it to go to these places? Public transportation a possibility? Taxis would be too expensive? Hope to get some insight. Thanks in advance.

We are a couple of guys, in our 40s, have no mobility issues and in the past have always tried to explore the port on our own whenever possible. We are very unsure about Israel. We'll be stopping in Haifa for a full day, and then Ashdod for a 2 full days.

We would love to see:

Jerusalem

Bethlehem

Jaffa

Tel Aviv

Masada

Dead Sea

Is it safe to do it on our own? How difficult is it to go to these places? Public transportation a possibility? Taxis would be too expensive? Hope to get some insight. Thanks in advance.

I recommend looking through this thread for ideas and information, if you have not done so already, and asking any further questions you have.

I think, given the relatively short amount of time you have, it would be best to not rely on public transportation, especially if you will be calling at either port on Shabbat or other Jewish holiday. I think using public transportation could involve spending a large percentage of time in-transit as opposed to actual sightseeing. (Although, for me at least, being in-transit is an enjoyable part of the sight-seeing.)

On the bus, can't write too much - Bethlehem, being part of the Palestinian Authority is not a place you can just get on the bus and visit. It can be done, but you will need an arranged tour. More to come when I get to a real computer

While Bethlehem might not be a place Israeli citizens can just get on the bus and visit, I'm fairly certain that you can if you are not an Israeli citizen. (Sorry to dispute you, Marian.)

For example, according to Google Maps and the Israeli Ministry of Transport, there appears to be a bus, 231, that goes from Jaffa Gate (and other places in Jerusalem) to Beit Jala, which is right next to Bethlehem. I'm not recommending this option, I'm just saying it appears to be a possibility.

Also, a quick Google search provides the following Trip Advisor article, which was most recently updated in 2015: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g293983-c177858/Jerusalem:Israel:Bethlehem.Palestine.Authority.Area.html. That article actually states that bus 231 goes all the way into Bethlehem, but I'm not sure whether the article distinguishes between Beit Jala and Bethlehem.

Edited by jlajr

• 2 weeks later...

Shalom,

We are two women on a cruise that docks in Aqaba for 12 hours. We are thinking of going to Eilat for the day. Would it be safe for us to do this? I have been to Israel before, but not Eilat. My friend has never been to Israel. Apparently we would have to take a cab from Aqaba to the border. Then after the border crossing routine, we would take a cab into Eilat. Then do the reverse back to Aqaba. Would this be worth the trip? We would appreciate any input!

Thank you

Ellen

Edited by chloe kitty

Shalom,

We are two women on a cruise that docks in Aqaba for 12 hours. We are thinking of going to Eilat for the day. Would it be safe for us to do this? I have been to Israel before, but not Eilat. My friend has never been to Israel. Apparently we would have to take a cab from Aqaba to the border. Then after the border crossing routine, we would take a cab into Eilat. Then do the reverse back to Aqaba. Would this be worth the trip? We would appreciate any input!

Thank you

Ellen

That sounds about right regarding how to get from the port in Aqaba into Eilat. Or, you could just swim... Just kidding.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth the hassle. There's not much you'd be able to do in or around Eilat in the amount of time you'd have, although Timna Park (aka Solomon's Mines, http://www.parktimna.co.il/en/) might be possible.

For more information about the Israeli (Yitzhak Rabin) border terminal, see http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/borders/yitzhakrabin/Pages/default.aspx. This page refers to a Taba cab station located at the terminal, which doesn't quite make sense to me, as Taba is a different - albeit nearby - border terminal between Israel and Egypt. However, they could mean that there is a taxi station offering transportation from the Yitzhak Rabin terminal (the one you would be going through) to the Taba terminal, which by definition would have to pass through Eilat.

As far as safety is concerned, it's always subjective, but if you're already OK with a cruise that docks in Aqaba, then I don't think crossing the border into/out of Eilat is any more or less safe.

That sounds about right regarding how to get from the port in Aqaba into Eilat. Or, you could just swim... Just kidding.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth the hassle. There's not much you'd be able to do in or around Eilat in the amount of time you'd have, although Timna Park (aka Solomon's Mines, http://www.parktimna.co.il/en/) might be possible.

For more information about the Israeli (Yitzhak Rabin) border terminal, see http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/borders/yitzhakrabin/Pages/default.aspx. This page refers to a Taba cab station located at the terminal, which doesn't quite make sense to me, as Taba is a different - albeit nearby - border terminal between Israel and Egypt. However, they could mean that there is a taxi station offering transportation from the Yitzhak Rabin terminal (the one you would be going through) to the Taba terminal, which by definition would have to pass through Eilat.

As far as safety is concerned, it's always subjective, but if you're already OK with a cruise that docks in Aqaba, then I don't think crossing the border into/out of Eilat is any more or less safe.

Thank you for all the helpful info. I will check the sites you mentioned.

Edited by chloe kitty

Looking like it would be difficult to obtain a Visa for a short trip to Eliat. Apparently they are no longer issuing them at the border., so we will have to stay in Aqaba and do some sightseeing, swimming and shopping.

Being an American citizen you do not need a visa to Israel. As you have 12 hours.. in my view they can be used "better" than just shopping etc.:) Why not use them to visit Petra? Or on the Israeli side - go to the Dead Sea. But then you can also be flexible and wing something on spot.

Miriam

I vote for Petra also, but my traveling companion has some medical issues which prevent us from going there. Her DR. told her that the heat along with the uphill walk on the return would not be good for her, and she should not go. If I was going with my husband, we would go to Petra. As far as the Dead Sea, I have been there on the Israeli side, and loved it. The ship has a tour to the Jordanian side, but it is 4 hours each way, and we would have only 2 to 3 hours at the resort. So, it looks like we have no choice but to stay in Aqaba. Since there are few sights to see, going to the Red Sea, and shopping are our only possibilities.

Thank you for all your help.

Being an American citizen you do not need a visa to Israel. As you have 12 hours.. in my view they can be used "better" than just shopping etc.:) Why not use them to visit Petra? Or on the Israeli side - go to the Dead Sea. But then you can also be flexible and wing something on spot.

Miriam

It's not the Israel Visa, it is the Jordanian Visa. When entering by ship, you must arrive and leave from the same port on the Visa, but crossing over to Israel, from what I understand, we would need another Visa from Jordan.

Edited by chloe kitty

I vote for Petra also, but my traveling companion has some medical issues which prevent us from going there. Her DR. told her that the heat along with the uphill walk on the return would not be good for her, and she should not go. If I was going with my husband, we would go to Petra. As far as the Dead Sea, I have been there on the Israeli side, and loved it. The ship has a tour to the Jordanian side, but it is 4 hours each way, and we would have only 2 to 3 hours at the resort. So, it looks like we have no choice but to stay in Aqaba. Since there are few sights to see, going to the Red Sea, and shopping are our only possibilities.

I understand.. Anyway, whatever you'll choose to do - enjoy your stay in our region. And of course all the rest of your cruise too! :)

Miiriam

Is the heat issue for your companion as relevant for Aqaba, Eilat, and the Dead Sea, as it is for Petra?

I think you should be able to find more than enough interesting things to do in and around Aqaba, especially if you want to go diving. Some ideas: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298101-Activities-Aqaba_Al_Aqabah_Governorate.html.

I find the topography around the Gulf of Eilat/Aqaba so interesting that I would enjoy spending that time sitting at an open outdoor pool with a drink in my hand, even if I never stepped foot off the ship, but, hey, shopping sounds like fun too. :)

Is the heat issue for your companion as relevant for Aqaba, Eilat, and the Dead Sea, as it is for Petra?

I think you should be able to find more than enough interesting things to do in and around Aqaba, especially if you want to go diving. Some ideas: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298101-Activities-Aqaba_Al_Aqabah_Governorate.html.

I find the topography around the Gulf of Eilat/Aqaba so interesting that I would enjoy spending that time sitting at an open outdoor pool with a drink in my hand, even if I never stepped foot off the ship, but, hey, shopping sounds like fun too. :)

Thank you for the info. My companion has a heart problem that doesn't permit her to stay in the sun for long periods, or she could pass out. If she can duck inside every so often, she is fine. So exploring Aqaba, going to the beach at a resort, and shopping all fit the bill.

Edited by chloe kitty

• 4 months later...

We arrive in Ashdod about 1 pm and leave the next day. We have tours lined up for both days and really excited. The 1st day's tour (Wednesday) is Tel Aviv/Jaffa for 6 hours or so with IGT. When we return to the port is there anything to see/do in the evening that we ought to consider that's nearby?

We then port at Haifa for a day (Friday) and have a tour with IGT. The ship doesn't leave until 10pm. though a long day's tour, anything we should consider near the port, maybe for after dinner?

We arrive in Ashdod about 1 pm and leave the next day. We have tours lined up for both days and really excited. The 1st day's tour (Wednesday) is Tel Aviv/Jaffa for 6 hours or so with IGT. When we return to the port is there anything to see/do in the evening that we ought to consider that's nearby?

We then port at Haifa for a day (Friday) and have a tour with IGT. The ship doesn't leave until 10pm. though a long day's tour, anything we should consider near the port, maybe for after dinner?

In Ashdod, you can see if there is anything at the Ashdod Performing Arts Center. I

In Haifa, you can walk up the street that leads to the Baha'i temple. There are lots of restaurants with outside patio seating, colorful lights, and the temple is lit up. Very nice Israeli scene.