Port or Starboard cabin around the Horn?

MJfromCA

We are considering a South American cruise around the Horn in early 2017, either Valparaiso to BA or BA to Val. Is it better to have a Port or Starboard cabin for a given direction, and if so, why? (I know, I know, pick a stern balcony and I won't have to worry!)

Also, I've seen a lot of happy Celebrity reviews on this BB. Do they have advantages over HAL or Princess, or should we pick primarily by port/time?

Thanks for any help. After reading so many of your posts, this looks like an amazing trip!

To clarify: do you need a cabin toward land (i.e. port side from Val to BA) for the best views on sea days with views like the Horn, glaciers, etc? Or will you normally be viewing from the common areas on those days, so it doesn't matter so much?

I would not focus on what side of the ship you are on.

Rather I would place emphasis on where on the deck your room is located.

Since there are times where the sea swells can be strong given the wind if rough seas bother you I would try to select a room that is mid ship.

Keith

We were on the Golden Princess December 2014 (L/A to Rio) and quite frankly we found the best allround viewing area was up on top deck. Being out on deck gives you the flexibility to walk around and see everything on both sides of the ship. Even though going through the Beagle Channel was early in the morning and pretty cold the experience was worth it. Going around The Horn the weather changed 3 or 4 times during the couple of hours from fine sunny weather to light hail storms but still a great experience.:)

Thanks for all the help! We are booked now for Feb 2017 and can't wait!

you will have a great experience. do it right with some days in BsAs , Valpo and Santiago. we booked all our lodgings on air b n b dot com and were very happy

what cabin do you have?

• 4 weeks later...