Brazilian Visa?

jarand

And be aware that each consulate has slightly different requirements, so read that consulate's site thoroughly.

The San Francisco Brazilian Consulate states that processing time is "at least 5 business days".

The number of people applying for visas at any Br. Consulate tends to surge before Carnaval and other big celebrations like a Reveillon.

There is just no logic for what they do. I hope we are not as bad as they are but maybe we are.

Yes, Carnaval can come into play as can the Olympics and the previous World Cup. But sometimes they have a work stoppage/slow down, other times they take it out on Visa Services and other times who knows.

My best advice is to apply right away. The visa is good for 10 years.

Keith

There is just no logic for what they do. I hope we are not as bad as they are but maybe we are.

Yes, Carnaval can come into play as can the Olympics and the previous World Cup. But sometimes they have a work stoppage/slow down, other times they take it out on Visa Services and other times who knows.

Well, Keith, as I have said previously, "we" are hundreds of times worse, as I have had the sad and embarrassing opportunity to witness personally in more than a few cases. I can elaborate in private mail if you wish, but be prepared for a long list of indefensibly rude incidents.

You may see "no logic for what they do", but the fact that the term "dissed" (disrespected) exists in current American vernacular indicates that Brazilians are not the only ones concerned with preserving their pride.

As the old phrase "when in Rome..." indicates, when you travel, you have to be culturally aware. It is part of Brazilian culture to have a yearly work slowdown in order to get a raise. It happens with transportation workers, and even the police (if you can imagine the chaos that can cause!--an armed home invasion for one example I know of, and the only police officer left in the station wouldn't go to the scene).

Full time Brazilian Consulate basic level staff workers in the US, those that you deal with during your visa process, are paid wages so low that they need to hold a second job in order to simply pay rent in a shared student-type living situation in the major cities in which they work.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I am not sure if we are 100 times worse but agree I am sure we give them a hard time.

With that said they have made visiting Brazil by Cruise Ship a lot less appealing not only because of the visa situation but changes to what they make the cruise lines go through and on our most recent visit earlier this year they made the entire crew get visas and they made the shops increase their prices and they added duty for the cruise line to pay them on things like drinks served on board along with some other things. I have read of at least one cruise line no longer sailing there. You would think that they would want to encourage tourism and the way to do that is to make the entire experience positive.

On the positive side they went to the ten year visa and lifted the requirement to enter within 90 days of issuing the visa.

Keith

I am not sure if we are 100 times worse but agree I am sure we give them a hard time.

Do you have personal anecdotes to support that POV?

I do to support mine. For every poster here that complains about cost or inconvenience, I can supply a real horror story from the other side.

You would think that they would want to encourage tourism and the way to do that is to make the entire experience positive.

If a country really is interested in promoting tourism originating from the US, that country might do as the Caymans, Jamaica, Chile and other countries in the area do--advertise on TV in the US.

My take is that most Brazilians are so focused on just getting by day-to-day, so accepting of the status quo, so uninformed about how to bring about effective political change, and so naïve about the outside world, that they are not even aware that there is an issue there that might effect them, let alone one that they could do something about. As for the politicians, those from all sides seem too busy lining their pockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Brazil on a cruise, off in Rio. I submitted my visa info at travisa dot com for WashDC (services Ohio). Lot of reading and filling out the info. But they do walk you through it pretty well. I submitted proof of financial stability (bank statement of my wife), but they notified me I need one for myself as well as not a joint account. I scanned and emailed to them. It will take 11 days from the date they submit it (usually a business day after they have all the documents) to get passport with the visa back from embassy. I guess another 2-3 days to get back to me. I don't go for 2 months, so not worried. But DO NOT wait until a month before you travel. We also got yellow fever shots (no reaction whatsoever) as we stop in Trinidad and Devil's Island and some concern Brazil immigration would stop us if no yellow fever shot.

One thing the cruise lines should do for these slow processing countries is to send out a separate email emphasizing the need to start the visa process at least 6 weeks ahead.

It is just as tricky trying to get a Brazilian visa from Aus. The consulate is a plane flight from here or a two day trip to a city I'm not familiar with. No- we are not the size of a Caribbean island. The thought of posting my passport off doesn't appeal as I would hate for it to get lost in the process and jeopardise the rest of my trip. I also travel frequently so don't want to be without my passport for an extended period of time. So even though it was on my bucket list, Brazil is now off. Lots of other great places to see where it is seems so much simpler to get there. Yes I will still go to Iguazu Falls, but I've decided the Brazilian side for me isn't worth the hassle. YouTube it will be. I'm doing the Round The Horn trip and planned Iguazu Falls post cruise. I'll still have a great trip as there is so much to see and do. I've done the Argentina Reciprocity fee online. That was easy enough, once I found the right site and converted it into English. Europe and the U.S. just seem so much simpler places to travel too. And I love both of them. Next year I think the same itinerary leaves from São Paulo. I'm glad I'm doing the trip this year leaving from Buenos Aires.

It is just as tricky trying to get a Brazilian visa from Aus. The consulate is a plane flight from here or a two day trip to a city I'm not familiar with. No- we are not the size of a Caribbean island. The thought of posting my passport off doesn't appeal as I would hate for it to get lost in the process and jeopardise the rest of my trip. I also travel frequently so don't want to be without my passport for an extended period of time. So even though it was on my bucket list, Brazil is now off. Lots of other great places to see where it is seems so much simpler to get there. Yes I will still go to Iguazu Falls, but I've decided the Brazilian side for me isn't worth the hassle. YouTube it will be. I'm doing the Round The Horn trip and planned Iguazu Falls post cruise. I'll still have a great trip as there is so much to see and do. I've done the Argentina Reciprocity fee online. That was easy enough, once I found the right site and converted it into English. Europe and the U.S. just seem so much simpler places to travel too. And I love both of them. Next year I think the same itinerary leaves from São Paulo. I'm glad I'm doing the trip this year leaving from Buenos Aires.

Simply sounds like a whole lot of rationalizing for all you're going to miss out on......

VidaNaPrai, I totally agree with your comments above. We just applied for our Brazil passport in Australia, travel agent filled the forms in we signed for them, paid and she sent it off, got it back in 2 weeks, absolutely no big deal!!!! Sent and returned by registered signed for mail, so no problems losing it. People will make difficulties if they really DONT want to do things, not the other way round!

VidaNaPrai, I totally agree with your comments above. We just applied for our Brazil passport in Australia, travel agent filled the forms in we signed for them, paid and she sent it off, got it back in 2 weeks, absolutely no big deal!!!! Sent and returned by registered signed for mail, so no problems losing it. People will make difficulties if they really DONT want to do things, not the other way round!

Have a wonderful trip! I hope you end up in love with Brazil, as I am.

I used TDS (Travel Document Systems) to get my Brazil visa through the San Francisco office, since that is my jurisdiction and the drive for me would be 2 hours one way. I sent in initial paperwork in late August, they secured an appointment for November 16, as I was on another cruise out of the country and still needed to have my passport, when I returned I sent the rest of the documents on 11/6 to them, they acknowledged receipt on 11/9, and the appointment was yesterday. I expect to have my visa and passport back by Thanksgiving. We'll see. My cruise to South America doesn't leave until 1/31, so I have some wiggle room in case it's needed.

Lesson - give lots of time ahead. Every consulate office is different.

Probably right- just lazy I guess. Probably same reason I've never bothered to travel to Vietnam. Although I do always book my own trips online. I guess if I really wanted to go I'd make the effort. Maybe another time. I've got two trips to NZ before my Dec 30th trip to SA so I'm keeping my passport with me. Maybe one day I'll get around to visiting Canberra too!

Edited by karoo

The only thing you can control is your attitude toward the process. I've had a worse time getting a new drivers license at the DMV than a visa several times at my local Br. Consulate. If you want to consider it a gauntlet, that's your choice. In that case, you might find any other parts of the Brazilian bureaucracy, for citizens or visitors, that you might encounter to be even more frustrating.

Thank you for your insight, friend. I've dealt with some of the masters of international bullstuff with full-on insouciance, if not bemused admiration. I know a goat rope when I see one, and the multiple requirements, varying by serviced region beyond those which the central government requires, are apparently nothing other than contrived inconvenience. I get the reasons for it. Brazil is slighted by American visa demands. If I was Brazilian, I'd likely agree with my government.

• 2 weeks later...
For others who may be looking at this thread, someone on our roll call booked our cruise then ended up canceling within the 72 hour window since it was impossible to get a Visa in less than 2 months--San Francisco.

Rumors, apparently.

This person got hers in SF in a few days.

See recent post #401 here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1545906-brazil-tourist-visa-questions-answers-merged-27.html#post25809052

• 2 weeks later...

We paid for our visas through Regent and they had us apply through Visa Central. We sent ours 9/23 - received email that they were very backed up. We don't sail until Feb. and I had to show that info. Just received an email today that our visas have shipped overnight. We sail from Buenos Aires and had to pay a reciprocity fee to Argentina. Be aware that they will not let you on the plane without that documentation (reciprocity fee) in hand.

We paid for our visas through Regent and they had us apply through Visa Central. We sent ours 9/23 - received email that they were very backed up. We don't sail until Feb. and I had to show that info. Just received an email today that our visas have shipped overnight. We sail from Buenos Aires and had to pay a reciprocity fee to Argentina. Be aware that they will not let you on the plane without that documentation (reciprocity fee) in hand.

I assume that the "they" that was very backed up is the Visa Central agency.

I see that you are in southern Florida.

According to the site of the Brazilian Consulate in Miami, the consulate has daily morning walk in hours (no appointment) and state a 15 day processing time for tourist visas. (Note that the processing time for visa agencies is stated to be 21 days.) The consulate accepts pre-paid envelopes to return the passport with the visa, so only one visit is necessary.

I checked with Miami - they have walk ins but you still have to leave all your paperwork. They said they were backed up also AND since Regent had prepaid we just did what they wanted us to do.

Well, I'm amazed you were able to get a specific reply. That in itself is a major feat. Usually the consulates in the US do not answer their published phone line. Email responses often take several weeks and tend to be very general. I'm surprised they would be backed up five months before Carnaval, as the usual slow point for the year is closer to the date.

Happy travels. Hope your luck holds for all things connected. :-)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be many experts on the South American visa requirements.

Doing an around the Cape cruise, what will be the cost of the visas for two.

As far as I can tell ....

Brazil ... $160 each $320

Argentina ... $160 each $320

I heard there may be a $100 90 day visa for Argentina (?)

Uruguay (?)

Chile (?)

Any help on Uruguay and Chile would be appreciated.

It seems sort of expensive for Brazil & Argentina just for a few days.

Tom :confused:

...the cost of the visas for two.

As far as I can tell ....

Brazil ... $160 each $320

fees:

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visa_fee_table.xml

read these pages thoroughly:

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/important_information.xml

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/how_to_apply.xml

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/vitur_(tourist_visa).xml

Argentina ... $160 each $320

I heard there may be a $100 90 day visa for Argentina (?)

It's not a visa. It's a reciprocity fee, payable ahead of time online. Print and keep at least one copy of your receipt.

(?) No such tourist visa for US passport holders.

I think this is the official site, beginning page with link to form:

https://reciprocidad.provincianet.com.ar/

Both the Brazilian visa and the Argentine reciprocity fee are good for ten years, not just a few days. Take it as encouragement to plan another longer trip. :-)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

To follow up to my post #21 on this thread, the couple I mentioned really wanted to go on this cruise they had canceled (11/24 Prinsendam Amazon Explorer), so the husband checked the SF consulate website early every morning, watching for an appointment cancellation (appointments are mandatory for SF). Eventually he found openings for 2 that enabled them to apply for and pick up their visas barely in time for the cruise, which they rebooked. They had to apply in person at the consulate, then return to the consulate a few days later to pick up their passports/visas. No visa service could have gotten the visas before January.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48326957&postcount=306

As of today, the first available appointment in SF is February 4th, Visa available 5 working days later, so about 6 weeks for a visa unless you can grab an appointment cancellation. Not sure that the visa services check for cancellations so probably 2 months with them if you have to use SF. YMMV at other consulates with different rules--many allow walk-ins.

If you haven't found the info on Chile yet, they no longer have a reciprocity fee.

• 2 weeks later...

We had to cancel a cruise 5 years ago because of the issues with obtaining a Brazilian visa through the Houston Consolate...At that time they would not accecpt an application by mail...only in person. The application would not be considered unless it was within 60 days of the trip. This was bad as final payment had to be made 75 days out. The Houston Consolate wold only allow in office applications and that had to be on Wednsday between 1 and 2 PM only. Not only that but they only would allow 20 applications per day. It was impossible.

Our cruise mates from Orlando on the other hand had a very easy time dealing with the Consolate in Miami.

We just assumed that somehow Texas had made it very hard for Brazilians to obtain visas and we were facing retaliation. We could have used a service, but they charged $500.00 for Texas residents at that time.

Bottom line....we dont go to Brazil which is a shame.

Doug

Is it still this difficult to obtain a visa in Texas? I live by the San Francisco consulate and used a visa service instead of having to drive 2 hours for the in person appointment. Appointments were being booked about 30 days out from application this past fall. Once the visa service had the appointment I got my passport back with the visa about 7 days later. It was well worth service fee to ensure that things went smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Going to Brazil on a cruise, off in Rio. I submitted my visa info at travisa dot com for WashDC (services Ohio). Lot of reading and filling out the info. But they do walk you through it pretty well. I submitted proof of financial stability (bank statement of my wife), but they notified me I need one for myself as well as not a joint account. I scanned and emailed to them. It will take 11 days from the date they submit it (usually a business day after they have all the documents) to get passport with the visa back from embassy. I guess another 2-3 days to get back to me. I don't go for 2 months, so not worried. But DO NOT wait until a month before you travel. We also got yellow fever shots (no reaction whatsoever) as we stop in Trinidad and Devil's Island and some concern Brazil immigration would stop us if no yellow fever shot.

One thing the cruise lines should do for these slow processing countries is to send out a separate email emphasizing the need to start the visa process at least 6 weeks ahead.

Thank you for mentioning this service. We used them for India and received efficient professional service. A couple on our roll call had their passports lost by the agency the cruise line recommended. I am thinking we should apply as soon as I talk DH into the cruise I want even though we have not yet booked it. Very glad to be serviced by DC consulate from what I'm reading. We went in person to Chinese embassy to get theirs and pay the expedited service only to be told as we entered the door "no expedited service today". Goodbye $$$ for the hotel room, gas, meals, etc.

I understand all these requirements are reciprocal.

I am thinking we should apply as soon as I talk DH into the cruise I want even though we have not yet booked it. Very glad to be serviced by DC consulate from what I'm reading.

Note that the Brazilian Consulate in DC's site states:

"Itinerary

Copy of purchased round-trip ticket or letter from a travel agent under applicant’s name with complete itinerary, flight number and arrival/departure dates and reservation code provided by the airline company."

However, understand that:

With a flight, usually the letter can be one printed out by a travel agent for the departure/return dates for which you indicate you want a reservation (whether or not you eventually pay for and use those exact dates. Naturally, the reservation, if not paid for within a certain number of days, will be cancelled.).

Also, there is a substantial period around the Olympics for which US passport holders do not need a visa, and event tickets do not need to be shown.

Edited by VidaNaPraia