How Much To Ride a Santorini Donkey

gadaboutgal

A couple of years ago it was about 5€. Now, one would suspect it is slightly more. If you want to do this ride we recommend doing it up...rather than down. Going on a downslope on the back of an animal can be somewhat frightening for those not used to riding.

Hank

If you walk, be careful of donkey poop

I am guessing that if we were to walk up first thing of a morning, there would be very little donkey poop, is that right???

Just thought this might be an option to walk up and cable car back down , as I am imagining quite a queue for the cable car early in the morning

TIA Deb

When we were there it was a large queue for the cable car in the afternoon. There were three ships in port and we waited an hour (in the afternoon sun) for the cable car. There are tours that pick people up by bus and then drop them in Fira in the afternoon with a cable car ticket.

I am guessing that if we were to walk up first thing of a morning, there would be very little donkey poop, is that right???

Just thought this might be an option to walk up and cable car back down , as I am imagining quite a queue for the cable car early in the morning

TIA Deb

I'm not sure how often the steps get cleaned. We walked up in the morning, and there was plenty of poo, fresh and "weathered".

I'm not sure how often the steps get cleaned. We walked up in the morning, and there was plenty of poo, fresh and "weathered".

Not sure they ever clean those steps :(. Once saw an elderly lady slip (in poo) on those steps. We suspect everyone kept their distance from her the rest of the day.

Hank

• 1 month later...
If you want to do this ride we recommend doing it up...rather than down....

Eww, and then you smell "like that" for the rest of the day. Disgusting. :(

You don't want to walk there at all! Filthy, slippery and dangerous because you have to quickly get out of the way of donkeys. If you do it, the adventure will ruin a perfectly wonderful trip to Santorini.

We walked down because the wait for the cable car was well over an hour. Yes, poopy stairs but it wasn't that bad. It certainly didn't ruin one of the most perfect days of our lives in Santorini. ;):)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh for goodness sake. You guys are really exaggerating the matter. Seriously do you want to stand in line for a ling time waiting for a cable car when in ten minutes if you exercise a little caution you can walk up or down? Really I think thieves are just excuses for laziness. As I noted on another thread wear shoes with tread and just be aware of the animals and move toward the wall when they walk by. As to the poop - you can't totally avoid it but it is easy to rinse off the bottom of your shoes.

Oh for goodness sake. You guys are really exaggerating the matter. Seriously do you want to stand in line for a ling time waiting for a cable car when in ten minutes if you exercise a little caution you can walk up or down? Really I think thieves are just excuses for laziness. As I noted on another thread wear shoes with tread and just be aware of the animals and move toward the wall when they walk by. As to the poop - you can't totally avoid it but it is easy to rinse off the bottom of your shoes.

Am not lazy. Walk 3 miles every day during sea days. While in port my Garmin usually registers 5-8 miles of walking. Thought it would be a fun walk down the donkey path. It is extremely slippery and wanted to give some good sound advice.:)

I think it's only fair to let people know that there are more than 600 steps, it's normally pretty hot, and there isn't any shade to speak of. If you zoom up the steps in 10 minutes, I think you're going to be pretty sweaty when you get to the top! We made the climb in about 20-25 minutes, with a stop in the middle to have a drink of water and take some photos. And I didn't get any fresh poo on my shoes! (The old stuff doesn't stick!) :p

Edited by lisiamc

Well we are not youngsters but are quite fit and do it in about 10 minutes. But even if it takes you 20 minutes isn't 20 minutes in the sun better than waiting an hour in line for the cable car in the hot sun? Many summer days there are 4000 to 7000 cruisers in port so by the afternoon most are all waiting for the small capacity cable car to take them down to catch their tenders. And yes, the path can be slippery in a few spots which is why I said to make sure you have shoes with some tread. And while the walk may not meet your definition of fun ( I enjoyed getting some great photos enroute ) it certainly is expeditious. I just posted my opinion on the matter because some cruisers might want to know it is a reasonable option. But if they want to wait in line for the cable car that is fine.