Italy Private Excursions

lifetime_learner

I had someone recommend this company in Pisa/Florence. Has anyone had any experience with them. Their website and general info looks great.

I have heard of them- I have booked an transport with them. Sarah is very nice. Rome in Limo referred me to Sarah as Janey did not offer the transport I wanted in Messina. My transport will be in May - but all responses are timely and professional

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is from earlier this year but in case anyone stumbles upon it now looking for what others experienced with them, I wanted to give our experiences. As was mentioned before, Sarah was very timely in her responses.

We booked a tour from Civitavecchia to Rome for 6 people, including 2 elementary school age boys. Our driver was fantastic, very personable and a great source of information about Rome. He even had a recommendation for a fantastic restaurant for lunch that was off the beaten tourist path and was spectacularly delicious. We also had a private tour guide for the Vatican. This really helped us make the most of our time. Without her guidance, we wouldn't have gotten as much from our time. Feel free to message me if you would like more info on our experiences.

Kristi

Kristi, I plan to be in Rome a couple days before my booked cruise. Who do you suggest I contact to get to Civicavecchia. I know there is a bus from airport but is that best or possibly an honest driver?

I'm confused. Are you looking for a transfer from the airport into Rome, or a ride from Rome to Civitavecchia?

From the airport to Rome there are various options -- an express (cheap but unless you are staying near Termini station, you still have to get to your hotel). Train service, either a local train or the express train to Termini (same problem as mentioned above). A fixed rate taxi is 48 euro if your hotel is within the official zone in Rome (most central hotels are). A private driver may cost 50 to 60 euro.

As for getting from Rome to Civitavecchia, you can take the regional train, or a private transfer. There are a lot of threads on this forum on how to take the train.

There are many different private companies that are discussed on these boards frequently. Some offer a private transfer (e.g., just for your party) and some offer a shared shuttle. I suggest the best thing to do is read through reviews of such services here and on other sites to find a reliable service. Perhaps someone on your roll call has already set up a transfer and may be looking for others to share the ride and bring the cost down.

Rome in Limo recommended them to me when they didn't have any more drivers for Livorno to Florence so we booked with them. It was a rainy morning and we waited and waited. We gave up after more than 40 mins. Our driver finally got a hold of us after 90 mins. He was at the wrong ship. I will never use Italy Privat Excursions again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Romeinlimo seem even more expensive than the ship excursion tours. I know that would mean a smaller group but would still be too dear for me. Must check out Papillon. It is Florence/Pisa and Naples/Capri I am most interested in.

We talked to other passengers via meet and greet , if you could get a group of 6 or 8 these tours will so much better than ship tours and same price or cheaper, ( we paid 100 or less per person) it was great doing the private tours, only ship tour we did was Capri.

Private tours sold out really quick on our cruise, Papillion charged 540 for 6 passengers and 600 for 8 passengers for pisa/Florence and a winery stop with free tasting, they picked up the museum tickets for David for us for 20 per person more, half our group went others did not. 9 hour trip. Driver was really good new Mercedes van.

Holy cow, that's a hefty premium you paid for a ticket that only costs €8.

It was worth it to us, no hassle and we skipped the line. WE bought tickets in Venice to skip the line via Venetoinside and they would not honor the skipping the line.

• 6 months later...

We were recommended to use Italy Privat Excursions from Rome in Limo, because they were full. I sent them my requested itinerary for the day we wanted for a private excursion with a group of 4. They ok-ed it. However, in the confirmation they send me, they switched the start time till later then I requested! I missed this, so I recommend you double check it. When we arrived early on the dock, we tried calling to see where our driver was after a 15 minute wait. We didn't get through, but opted to wait and see. Our driver arrived 15 minutes before the time they send me (and 45 minutes later then I had requested). He apologized even though the mix up wasn't his fault.

Piero was very knowledgeable, he brought us to a lot of places we didn't even know the request (off the beaten path) and asked us what kind of lunch we would want. He tailored our tour based on what he saw we liked. I can really recommend him as he was great. If you are looking to get to know the city, don't want to walk far or have mobility issues (he'd managed to park near hot spots in all sorts of ways), I really recommend doing a private tour with them.