Birth certificates?

mizzoufinal4

Thinking about booking a cruise round trip from Galveston. Me, My wife and 2 daughters (7,5) Can we go with just birth certificates or do we have to have passports?I know passports are better but can we get by with just birth certificates? thanks

Yes you can...it's considered a "closed loop" itinerary...leaving from a US port and returning to one. Just make sure those BC's are certified from the state of birth....Enjoy your cruise.

Thinking about booking a cruise round trip from Galveston. Me, My wife and 2 daughters (7,5) Can we go with just birth certificates or do we have to have passports?I know passports are better but can we get by with just birth certificates? thanks

You and your wife will need a government issued photo ID to go with the birth certificates. Of course if something happens and you have to fly back you would need to obtain assistance from the US Embassy/Consulate in order to obtain documentation that would allow you to board an international flight. The risk for most people is very low so you have to determine what your risk level is and how willing you are to accept the risk.

Actually, do you live in Texas? If not, which state? I am asking because at some point this year the "Real ID Act" will take effect. There are 9 states that currently do not comply with the act. When it starts being enforced, if you live in one of those 9 states (Texas does comply), or more precisely, if you have a DL from one of those states you will not be able to fly domestically or, from what I hear, cruise closed loops without a second form of ID. At this time, I do not know what will be an acceptable form of ID. but as I live in SC, which does not comply, I am waiting to hear as my son begins college, possibly in Pennsylvania this fall, and I am not sure how he will be able to fly home with his DL and I would prefer him not take his passport with him.

Actually, do you live in Texas? If not, which state? I am asking because at some point this year the "Real ID Act" will take effect. There are 9 states that currently do not comply with the act. When it starts being enforced, if you live in one of those 9 states (Texas does comply), or more precisely, if you have a DL from one of those states you will not be able to fly domestically or, from what I hear, cruise closed loops without a second form of ID. At this time, I do not know what will be an acceptable form of ID. but as I live in SC, which does not comply, I am waiting to hear as my son begins college, possibly in Pennsylvania this fall, and I am not sure how he will be able to fly home with his DL and I would prefer him not take his passport with him.

Passport card?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passport card?

A passport card is, for all intents and purposes, a plastic passport that can be used for border crossings by car, bus, rail and/or by ship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The passport card is a wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

Passport Cards - Travel State - US Department of State

https://travel.state.gov/.../passport-cards.htmlBureau of Consular Affairs

Related topics

Enhanced licenses combine a regular driver's license with the specifications of the new Federal passport card. Wikipedia

Explore: Enhanced Drivers License

The passport card is formatted according to specifications for credit-card (ID-1) sized travel documents, as described in ICAO Document 9303, Part 3, Volume 1. Wikipedia

Explore: Identity document, Travel document

The Passport Card is government-issued and serves as proof of identity and citizenship. uspasscard.com

Explore: Identity document

Edited by Host Walt

Passport card?

A passport card is, for all intents and purposes, a plastic passport that can be used for border crossings by car, bus, rail and/or by ship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.original

Edited by Host Walt

I believe DHS extended this until January 2018.

Really? That would be great if they did. I read an article about it recently stating that it would be sometime this year, but that may have changed, or been bad info.

There is a lot of misinformation out there unfortunately. The REAL ID act covers not only verifying someone's legal presence before issuing a DL/ID but also has requirements regarding facility security and storage for supplies. Both of these are hot button topics with some states since the latter requires the expenditure of funds and the former is a requirement that some states don't want to implement. In any event, a non-compliant license (and states that are compliant can issue them, as my state does) cannot be used to enter places under Federal jurisdiction- Federal buildings, airports, etc.

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW!!!! NEVER PUT KUR PASSPORT INFORMATION ONLINE!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Delete what? Host Walt posted an Exemplar of a passport card which does not contain real information. It's similar to what you find if you googel passport card and look at the image results.

Hey, Maybe Walt really *is* "Happy Traveler?" Man! I wanted the name Happy Traveler! Guess I'll have to change my name to something else. Princess Consuela Bananahammock, perhaps? :D

Sorry but Princess Consuela Bananahammock is taken and so is Happy Traveler.

How about Princess Consuela Roseanne Roseannadanna?

Edited by Host Walt

• 1 month later...

I live in Texas and will be cruising out of Galveston. My travel agent said birth certificates (originals or high quality copies including a stamp), driver's license, and marriage certificate for myself and hubby. Just a birth certificate for my children will work; they'll be 6 and 10.

If you plan on cruising often, it may be worth it to go ahead and get passports or passport cards. JMO