How get Salt Lake to FLL?

CruisinFinsUp

Hi

Not sure where best to post this so I'm going to try a couple different boards.

Looking for some advice from Utah cruisers please.

Just found out hubby has to goto a business conference right before our cruise.

Wondering if anyone can tell me the best ( - ie short duration, easy stopover, best hub for transfer, best airline, etc ) way to get from

Salt Lake City Utah to Ft. Lauderdale on a Saturday in March.

We'll take Miami, Tampa or Orlando too. He can drive from one of them.

Yes the cruise leaves on Sunday so its not "day of". No he cannot leave Fri nite.

We'll fly down from Toronto, he'll meet us at the hotel in Ft Lauderdale.

Any advice is welcome as I'm not used to booking US flights!

Thanks much!!

My opinion.

Fly into Fort Lauderdale, or Miami if Fort Lauderdale is not available.

I did the closest airport thing, it was from Newark to Tampa at the last minute.

It was a real pita to have a total of five hours to get from the airport, rent a car center, then drive home.

There are so many flights into Fort Lauderdale and Miami that I wouldn't even think about Orlando and Tampa because flying 4+ hours then having to drive 4+ hours is a little on the dangerous side and definitely will be exhausting.

I agree use http://www.ITASoftware.com and search using Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami.

While you cannot book with them, they search every single seat on every airline. From there you can go to the airline's website and book.

Salt Lake City is a major Delta Airlines hub. More than likely there might be one or two nonstops from Salt Lake City to Ft. Lauderdale. Next best option would be to look for a Delta nonstop to Miami from Salt Lake City. Otherwise from Salt Lake City Delta would have connections in either Atlanta, Detroit, or Minneapolis/St. Paul. Hope this info helps.

I looked at Delta's schedule for March 12, SLC-FLL and there are no nonstops. There are multiple one stop options with connections in Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and JFK (New York City). I would try for a connection in Atlanta as it is Delta's main US hub (it allows a little leeway if there is a flight hiccup) and it's easy to get a connection if there is one of those hiccups.

Edited by Eng23

You are all AWESOME!! Thanks so much! I've got lots to look at now!

I'm definitely going to try to get a connection further south rather than north - living in Toronto I'm painfully aware of the risks of flying in March - no sense going all the way back up to Chicago or Detroit or NY if we can avoid it!

Thanks again!

You are all AWESOME!! Thanks so much! I've got lots to look at now!

I'm definitely going to try to get a connection further south rather than north - living in Toronto I'm painfully aware of the risks of flying in March - no sense going all the way back up to Chicago or Detroit or NY if we can avoid it!

Thanks again!

Try for DFW or IAH if you can