Kotor, Montenegro - what to do

HI Everyone,

We did Montenegro as a DIY land trip, but I do have info for cruise travelers

Kotor, is very easy to do on your and honestly you do not need a shorex for Kotor proper

If you would like to travel to Perast and then visit Our Lady of the Rocks church (island). You will need to hire a taxi,driver or shorex

I would highly recommend a visit to Perast.

We have a Sights to See list for Kotor and Perast within our online travel journal.

http://www.ourpassportstamps.com/Trip_Reports.html

Here are the photos for Kotor and Perast

http://www.ourpassportstamps.com/Montenegro_Photos.html

Azamara was offering a hike up the hill, but I would not attempt that unless you are in good health and active. It is very steep!!

The view of the Bay and fjord is fabulous. You can also drive to the top of the mountain. It is steep and winding! but fabulous views!

Our personal (non commercial) website is being remodeled, so please excuse the mess :)

If you have any questions let me know!

Hi-I saw you were on the Quest 11/6/11-I have passengers looking to share a private tour with George in Katakalon-wondered if you were interested? Sorry-I can't find a roll call for this cruise! (I'm their TA-they are a bit older-but well traveled and don't do internet)

Our friends wanted to go to a beach.

Taxi drivers near the pier wanted 80 Euros to take them.

My friends refused and walked to a nearby supermarket where they hired a taxi for 20 Euros.

They went to a nice beach ( don't know name or where it is ) quiet, for a few hours & the taxi returned to collect them.

Cruisingly Yours

We recently returned from a cruise on the Marina. We used a guide named Jovan Vukotic who was excellent. He met us when we docked and gave us a tour starting at Budva and Sveti Stefan. We then drove inland to Cetinje and Njegusi along beautiful mountain roads. Our tour ended in Perast where we took a boat out to the island to see Our Lady of the Rock Church.

Jovan was professional, knowledgeable, and gave us a wonderful tour. His e-mail address is: spring08@t-com.me. I would highly recommend him.

I noticed one of the excursions for Kotor is a hike and open air bowling.... does anyone know what this is? Open air bowling peaked my interest, but I can't find any information on this. Do we get to participate in actual bowling?

Thanks!

We had a great time in Kotor last month. Below is the link to the posting that I did with many details on the ship's tour we did to their historic Montenegro capital, seeing this bay from high in the mountains above Kotor, going to the coastal areas nearby, etc. Below are a few of my sample pictures.

You can see much, much more by going to this thread on these Cruise Critic boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Let me know your reactions, questions, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 24,855 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 47,427 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Our coach driver went up, back and forth, through twenty-five serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor. Here was that great view from this high point!:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

This shows Kotor’s wall fortifications and the mountain areas above the town.:

KotorWallMountains.jpg

This is the walled gate as we entered Kotor to see in various historic buildings, many churches and shops. YES, they have lots of shops, whether needed or not!!:

KotorMainEntrancePalms.jpg

This is a close up of the mountain fortress that overlooks Kotor and the fjord bay.:

KotorTopMntFortressOverlooking.jpg

We went to nearby Budva, a 2,500 year-old-fortress that is now in the heart of a resort area. This walled coastal town projects out into the sea. This is the overview of walled coastal town and how it projects out into the sea. Lots of fancy private ships docked here in their harbor.:

BudvaTownShoreOverview.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

Who did you use for a tour Company??

You have great shot of your cruise!!!!!

Tour guide..when we traveled to Kotor it was from Dubrovnik and by land, so our driver originated from there...

Budva is going to be very Beachy time feel and atmosphere, the historical point you always see in pictures is actually a hotel not a fort or town to visit

if you are really into history and culture you will want to explore Kotor and Perast and take the boat to Our Lady of the Rocks Church.

I would NOT cheap out when it comes to Perast..if you look at my photos in the links I provided above the Church Museum had the most beautiful vestments I have ever seen, just stunning. The visit to Our Lady of the Rocks was very enjoyable!

Have a great time

• 4 years later...

I realize I'm resurrecting a 5 year old thread here but just wanted to thank all of those who posted photos and information here. I just booked an Eastern Mediterranean cruise on NCL for next year (May 2017) and Kotor, Montenegro is one of the ports. This place looks so beautiful and I can't wait to see it in person! I'm really enjoying starting my preliminary research on all the ports we will visit.

I understood that Kotor (in Montenegro) uses Euros & that Kuna is for Croatia (Split, Dubrovnik etc.) - can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Montenegro (which includes Kotor) uses the Euro as its official currency. The Kuna is the unique currency of Croatia, but we also found that many places in Croatia would accept Euros (although not always a very good exchange rate).

Hank

I I just booked an Eastern Mediterranean cruise on NCL for next year (May 2017) and Kotor, Montenegro is one of the ports. This place looks so beautiful and I can't wait to see it in person! I'm really enjoying starting my preliminary research on all the ports we will visit.

This is what we did in Kotor. If you want to climb to the Fortress take a bottle of water with you. I didn't :eek: All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]fUzQl8KA2Uk[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wanting tio visit this part of the world for a while and thought that I had found the perfect itinery.

However it departs very late Sept, going in to October and I am wondering if it will be too cold for us.

Has anyone been at that time of year?

This is what we did in Kotor. If you want to climb to the Fortress take a bottle of water with you. I didn't :eek: All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]fUzQl8KA2Uk[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to get there myself in about 20 months!

October 2017

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app