Shanghai port day

Tara Jane

Hi we are on Queen Mary 2 and will have one day in Shanghai on March 26th.

Is anyone able to tell me where the ship shuttle drops passengers in the city itself. We were going to do one of the ships tours but nothing really "grabs" us so now thinking of doing the city sightseeing hop on hop off bus, but not planning to get off at many stops, and then a ferry ride on the river.

We dock early morning, and dont leave until almost midnight, so time is not an issue. I would be guessing we would plan to leave the ship about 10 am ish and return in time for dinner.

Thank you

Is anyone able to tell me where the ship shuttle drops passengers in the city itself. We were going to do one of the ships tours but nothing really "grabs" us so now thinking of doing the city sightseeing hop on hop off bus, but not planning to get off at many stops, and then a ferry ride on the river.

We dock early morning, and dont leave until almost midnight, so time is not an issue. I would be guessing we would plan to leave the ship about 10 am ish and return in time for dinner.

Thank you

When you do get off the hop on / hop off bus, be sure to get off at Jing'an Temple as well as Jade Buddha Temple. I was there in December and planned my route to start at Jing'an Temple, and then eventually work my way over to The Bund for sunset, just at the time all the buildings across the river were starting to light up. Definitely spend some time in the evening at The Bund; it is a beautiful light show. Go for a cocktail at the rooftop bar at either the Ritz Carlton or the Shangri La - fabulous views, if the sky is clear :)

Don't buy your tickets through the ship. You can buy them at one of the bus stops. They accept credit cards or local currency.

But to answer your question about where the ship shuttle drops off in the city, I cannot answer that. I was staying at a hotel in the Pudong New District and took the metro from near my hotel to the Jing'an Temple stop, t meet the sightseeing bus there.

Edited by brunello22

Cruise ship shuttles generally disembark/embark passengers at the small Huangpu Park, on the north end of The Bund. "Generally"....

From here it's just a few steps to the Hop-On Hop-Off bus, on the same side of the street you are on, across from the landmark Bank of China building. You can't miss it.

This time of year the buildings along The Bund and across the river turn on their exterior lighting at 6:30.

The river cruise boats are kind of at the middle of The Bund, about a ten minute walk south from Huangpu Park. Again you can't miss them, just follow the signs to ticketing. You will also find the cross-river ferry in this area.

Cruise ship shuttles generally disembark/embark passengers at the small Huangpu Park, on the north end of The Bund. "Generally"....

From here it's just a few steps to the Hop-On Hop-Off bus, on the same side of the street you are on, across from the landmark Bank of China building. You can't miss it.

This time of year the buildings along The Bund and across the river turn on their exterior lighting at 6:30.

The river cruise boats are kind of at the middle of The Bund, about a ten minute walk south from Huangpu Park. Again you can't miss them, just follow the signs to ticketing. You will also find the cross-river ferry in this area.

This is correct for our QM2 in 2014. Very close to the Bund.

Chinese Immigration took a long time to clear the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you

Tara Jane did you find out for sure about there being a shuttle into Shanghai? I am leaning towards the hop on hop off bus too. If no shuttle maybe a few of us could share a taxi? Cheers Cindy

Tara Jane did you find out for sure about there being a shuttle into Shanghai? I am leaning towards the hop on hop off bus too. If no shuttle maybe a few of us could share a taxi? Cheers Cindy

No I havent heard back, was hoping someone might have been on QM2 in the recent past and could tell us but even then no guarantees.

I expect the ship will put on a paid shuttle which as last resort we could use or as you say a taxi. We are still very undecided but don't feel like spending a long day in the city. We like the hop on hop off as we usually stay on to get a it of a taste of the place, and get off wherever we want extra time. One positive is that we are there for a very long day so no panic about getting back to the ship by 4pm for sailaway.

No I havent heard back, was hoping someone might have been on QM2 in the recent past and could tell us but even then no guarantees.

I expect the ship will put on a paid shuttle which as last resort we could use or as you say a taxi. We are still very undecided but don't feel like spending a long day in the city. We like the hop on hop off as we usually stay on to get a it of a taste of the place, and get off wherever we want extra time. One positive is that we are there for a very long day so no panic about getting back to the ship by 4pm for sailaway.

Hi rang Cunard and there is a Ships Shuttle. Thank goodness as I want to buy a Silk Duvet so can mix shopping and pleasure .

Tara Jane I rang Cunard yet again and they confirmed there was indeed a shuttle operating from Wusoingho Int Port but he wasnt sure if it would be free or a charge applies. He said we wouldn't know till we were on board but definitely showing a shuttle available. Cheers Cindy....ps spoke to Francis this time.

Thanks for double checking, I spoke to my sister this morning, she didnt take note of the persons name she spoke to so hopefully Anne and Francis are correct.

It is quite a disappointment that a lot of info isnt available until we are on board, ok for some but not those with OCD re planning.

We will either get the shuttle or taxi if no shuttle, as we want to just sit on the hop on hop off bus rather than a ships tour, more flexibility. Happy to share taxis if workable. We are a group of 12, but I know 2 have already booked a ships tour. Some of us have good OBC to use, but none of the ships tours really grab me so think shuttle/hop on hop off and save the OBC for something else.

Not sure what others will be doing. I have heard a night cruise on the river to see the lights in worthwhile but I havent researched that yet.

I think the issue with Shanghai is that it does tend to get cancelled due to weather. When QM2 sails into the River entry it is a 3 hour journey to get to Port and they have to clear the river of other craft. Its a massive exercise. I am an OC planner too but sometimes you just have to sit back and try enjoy the journey. Once you are onboard the OC just slides away.

I think the issue with Shanghai is that it does tend to get cancelled due to weather. When QM2 sails into the River entry it is a 3 hour journey to get to Port and they have to clear the river of other craft. Its a massive exercise. I am an OC planner too but sometimes you just have to sit back and try enjoy the journey. Once you are onboard the OC just slides away.

True - guess I have to accept there is nothing I can do until probably the day before we are due in Shanghai if that.

Guess I am rather hesitant as the "ports" person during her talk on the celebrity century a couple of years ago was telling us that the place for snorking in Lifou (seniors moment cant remember the name) was a very long way from the ships tender location and the only way to see anything of the area was with a ships tour.

Of course through the wonderful cc folk I knew it was barely a 10 minute walk.

I hate it when we are taken for a ride, honesty the best policy.

Edited by Tara Jane

Of course. I totally understand the need for planning. I haven't felt that Cunard did too much of this although the lecturer they had for Kota Kinabalu scared the beejesus out of the older ones by telling them what to do if they were confronted by an orangutan. Having stayed at KK before I knew that most of the areas he was talking about (WWII) were impossible to reach on a port stop. From memory the shuttle in 2014 was free.

QM2's berth at Wusongkou is a big-ship deep-water port in the Yangtze estuary, not far from the massive container port. It would take quite a typhoon to close the port to big-ship traffic.

Anyway, it is far enough from the city center that it's practically unthinkable that there would be no shuttles provided, leaving passengers with no option to ship tours but taxis.

QM2's berth at Wusongkou is a big-ship deep-water port in the Yangtze estuary, not far from the massive container port. It would take quite a typhoon to close the port to big-ship traffic.

Anyway, it is far enough from the city center that it's practically unthinkable that there would be no shuttles provided, leaving passengers with no option to ship tours but taxis.

Fog closes it

6789b663b758843fe0d214a27b889f69.jpg

Pushka we have a port stop in KK too. Any hints of what to do there?

Sounds like you are doing exactly the same itinerary as we did.

Its a tricky port. People seemed to enjoy the cruise ship's water village tour. Theres the zoo - grab a taxi once you get to the road - will need ringgits.

There are local markets along the seawalk. You could also try a day room at a sea resort for a meal and swim.

We wanted to visit the Orang utan sanctuary at Rasa Ria resort where we'd stayed earlier but its just a bit too far away.

Are you cruising up to the top end of Australia through the GBR? We loved those days. Hot. Calm and beautiful blue water. You will also cross the equator which they have a fun event.

Edited by Pushka

As it would any port, but I don't see reason why to single out Shanghai. Shanghai isn't prone to thick fog to such an extent that one need worry about a call being cancelled.

In another thread about Shanghai posters on other cruise lines reported the same.

This thread is about Shanghai. I am reporting my experiences and readings in this forum.

You mentioned typhoons. I experienced fog.

Edited by Pushka

Hi Pushka,

We board in Brisbane, have stops in Yorkey's Knob, KK, Shanghai and leave the ship in Hong Kong. 16 nights with not many ports at all, but we are telling ourselves we are going for the Cunard experience.

Yes hoping to get to enjoy the view around the top end.

Last cruise we did from Sydney to Singapore on Rhapsody the interesting cruising was during the night unfortunately.