Which Restaurant/Rocky Point Tampa

mrsfuzzmo

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point one night pre-cruise in April. Looking for fun atmosphere, decent food, good prices. I see there are a number of places nearby. Can anyone comment or recommend Bahama Breeze, Rusty Pelican or Whiskey Joes? We will not have a car, and don't really want to get a taxi for a short ride.

Is Whiskey Joe's walkable? It looks like it might be the most....up our alley, but if Bahama Breeze is similar, we may just go there for drinks and to get the vacation started!!

I live in Tampa and I would pick Whisky Joes. More fun and better atmosphere. Very busy street to get to from your hotel. I would take a taxi. Bahama Breeze sub par food to me but it is walking distance. Have a great cruise!!!

Edited by psouthcomb

I live in Tampa and I would pick Whisky Joes. More fun and better atmosphere. Very busy street to get to from your hotel. I would take a taxi. Bahama Breeze sub par food to me but it is walking distance. Have a great cruise!!!

Thanks!! Exactly what I wanted to hear. We may have local friends there with a car, so I think Whiskey Joe's look like it's on our radar!!

Bahama Breeze is a chain -- we always try to eat local when travelling. If I want Bahama Breeze there is one 15 minutes from my house.

We recently went to a local Tampa restaurant called Columbia and enjoyed it very much. I guess some might call it a chain, but it started in the Tampa area (Ybor City) and has a few Florida locations. Extensive menu and the food was excellent.

We recently went to a local Tampa restaurant called Columbia and enjoyed it very much. I guess some might call it a chain, but it started in the Tampa area (Ybor City) and has a few Florida locations. Extensive menu and the food was excellent.

I don't think I'd call Columbia a chain. Each one is run by a different family member or was and the Ybor City location has been there over 100 years.

That said, it's one of my top favorite restaurants in the US.

To the OP, while it is worth the drive, to answer your question I would absolutely go with Whiskey Joes. LOVE that place.

I did recommend it to the poster who now lives in Tampa and they happened to go on a heavy metal concert night. I would check their entertainment calendar and make sure you aren't going when they've got something going on.

Their outside beach is a blast. If it is too much, the dining room is much calmer. Personally, I love hanging out on their beach.

I'm a local and if you want to walk to Whisky Joe's, it is doable BUT in my personal opinion, I wouldn't do it. The main reason is crossing a busy 6 lane Road. Rocky Point is set up like the letter H, Hampton and Bahama Breeze is located in one side of the H and Whisky Joe's and Rusty Pelican plus The Chart House on the other. Where you need to cross would be in the middle, and it's a busy intersection. I read where you said that you didn't want to take a taxi but at the least....maybe consider that or Uber for the short ride back......especially if it's late or dark. There's also a fun Beach bar/restaurant at the Bay Harbor Hotel, which is on the same side as WJ and Rusty Pelican.

The Bahama Breeze is on the other side of the parking lot from the Hampton. They have an outside deck that has live entertainment. I've always found the food to be good and the atmosphere WAY more serene and relaxed then Whisky Joe's.....plus you can't beat the waterfront view.

It all depends on what you are looking for......just be careful if you decide to do the walk over to WJ.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Completely agree with the previous poster. One of larger work locations is in this area and the Bahama Breeze is decent enough food, but would definitely look to something local. Ditto on the Uber idea after-dark, we walked back to the Doubletree from The Chart House and it was definitely more of a challenge than the 8AM walk to the office across the same highway.

-Brian

Thanks everyone! Didn't know Bahama Breeze was a chain. Not up here in the wintery mid-west at least!

I think Whiskey Joes' sounds right up our alley (we like noise, liveliness, lots of music...especially on vaca) and we will head the warnings about walking.

Thanks everyone!