Flying out of Southampton

ADBark

Hi - need some advice. We dock at 5am on Wednesday 6/1/15 and I believe we are the only ship that day in Southampton. We are considering a quick flight from Southampton Airport to Paris CDG, but it leaves at 10:20 am.

We are able to disembark on our own and carry our own luggage, so that wouldn't be an issue. As I understand, the airport is about 30 minutes away (45 mins if there's traffic), so I would think we would be okay. However, I've never been to this port or to this airport. I've also never flown FlyBE airline but understand that they are extremely picky about the weight of our luggage so we will be careful.

Can anyone provide some advice - will we have enough time? We haven't bought the tix yet - there is a mid-afternoon flight to Orly but I prefer the earlier flight to CDG. Thanks in advance!

First walk off is usually about 7am. There is normally no customs or immigration to do, so you could hopefully get to the airport after grabbing a cab about 8am. Might be better to grab breakfast after checking in at the airport rather than on the ship...just guessing! FlyBE is a budget airline, so they do have extra charges for baggage. As long as you are aware of these and budget for them, there should be no surprises. Do a dummy run on their website and see what the cost comes out like.

Simon

PS Just looked on the Southampton Airport website and check in time for international flights is 1 1/2 hrs, so as long as you are there by about 8.45am (which you should easily do), there shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by sddsddean

For Flybe, Simon, check-in for international flights closes just 45 minutes before flight time.

It's a small one-terminal / two coffee-shop airport, with no long lines for passport control or security, and no long walk to the departure lounges. And much more sensibly-priced breakfasts than the big airports. :)

For getting to the airport it's commuter time of day, so allow 45 minutes.

In theory an early disembarkation slot (7.30 to 8am) should give you ample time, but unassisted disembarkation (usually from around 7am) will avoid any delays in finding your bags, passing through the formalities, or getting a cab from the rank at the cruise terminal.

Cab fare about £20, more like £15 if you pre-book eg http://www.westquaycars.com

As Simon suggests, do a dummy booking to see the final total.

And usually the further out you book, the better the price.

If you're returning to Southampton, there's a left-luggage facility which will be cheaper & easier than taking all your luggage to Paris.

JB :)

Don't dismiss Orly out of hand. It's much smaller and more user friendly than the vast acres (I should say hectares I suppose) of CDG. Depending where in Paris you are going, travel times are pretty similar.

Thank you all for your replies. I feel better about timing issues now, and will definitely re-consider Orly.

So great to have people in-the-know to ask these kinds of questions on CruiseCritic!

-Alison

ps does anyone else regard John Bull as a celebrity like I do? :cool:

LOL! I am staying out of this one!

Actually, I run across JB, Simon, and Bob's comments everywhere! So glad you guys are all willing to share with those less experienced cruisers like me.:confused::D

No worries, I can handle that young whippersnapper. ;)

Simon's a trucker.

And he knows that coach drivers don't like being called bus drivers. :rolleyes:

Open the throttle wide, Simon, and push your truck up to its 54 miles per hour limit. :p

No worries, I can handle that young whippersnapper. ;)

Simon's a trucker.

And he knows that coach drivers don't like being called bus drivers. :rolleyes:

Open the throttle wide, Simon, and push your truck up to its 54 miles per hour limit. :p

First time anyone has called me 'young' in years! Thanks JB

Simon

PS My limiter is set at 90kph...thats the heady heights of 56mph!!:D

Simon

First time anyone has called me 'young' in years! Thanks JB

Simon

PS My limiter is set at 90kph...thats the heady heights of 56mph!!:D

Simon

Unless you work for Tesco - in which case it's stuck on 50.

I am an ex lorry driver (Truckers are from the other side of the pond). It was a great way to see this wonderful country of ours, and get paid for it too. No boring six hour layovers either.

Edited by Bob++

Unless you work for Tesco - in which case it's stuck on 50.

I am an ex lorry driver (Truckers are from the other side of the pond). It was a great way to see this wonderful country of ours, and get paid for it too. No boring six hour layovers either.

That brings back memories, Bob.

Yes, Tesco trucks/lorries/whatever were easy meat, sounds like they still are :)

Edited by John Bull

Why is it though, that you always catch them up just as the dual carriageway ends?:rolleyes: A mate of mine used to do agency for Tesco and apparently they are so time conscious and like watching the trackers, that when he stopped for a pee, he got a phone call asking why he'd stopped. Big Brother or what!?

Simon