Large Group Pre-Cruise Dinner Recommendations

Cindy

Hi all!

I'm looking for a restaurant for a roll call pre-cruise dinner. I just threw this out there on my roll call yesterday and I'm already at 20 people:eek: so I need to get busy!

I'd like to find a place within a reasonable (mile or so) walk of the Embassy Suites that will take reservations for a large group on a Sunday night (March 13th). I looked on Trip Advisor, and found the following:

*Southport Raw Bar

*Boatyard (Used to be Bimini) - Is it me or have they really jacked up their prices since they reopened?:confused:

*15th Street Fisheries

*Duffy's

*Quarterdeck

*Giuliano's

Out of those, I know Boatyard will take a reservation, but since this is a roll call dinner I'm a little concerned about their new prices. I've eaten at Duffy's before and thought it was fine, but we were walk-ins and I don't know if they do reservations or not. We've had a large group pre-cruise dinner at Kelly's Landing and I'd prefer something different. I thought Kelly's Landing was just too cramped and even though we had a reservation they really weren't ready for our group.

So...anything I should cross off the list before I start making phone calls? Add to the list? Thanks in advance for your help!:D

Hi all!

I'm looking for a restaurant for a roll call pre-cruise dinner. I just threw this out there on my roll call yesterday and I'm already at 20 people:eek: so I need to get busy!

I'd like to find a place within a reasonable (mile or so) walk of the Embassy Suites that will take reservations for a large group on a Sunday night (March 13th). I looked on Trip Advisor, and found the following:

*Southport Raw Bar

*Boatyard (Used to be Bimini) - Is it me or have they really jacked up their prices since they reopened?:confused:

*15th Street Fisheries

*Duffy's

*Quarterdeck

*Giuliano's

Out of those, I know Boatyard will take a reservation, but since this is a roll call dinner I'm a little concerned about their new prices. I've eaten at Duffy's before and thought it was fine, but we were walk-ins and I don't know if they do reservations or not. We've had a large group pre-cruise dinner at Kelly's Landing and I'd prefer something different. I thought Kelly's Landing was just too cramped and even though we had a reservation they really weren't ready for our group.

So...anything I should cross off the list before I start making phone calls? Add to the list? Thanks in advance for your help!:D

*Southport Raw Bar Probably too small. They may be able to seat you outside for a group that size and it could be fun.

*Boatyard (Used to be Bimini) - Is it me or have they really jacked up their prices since they reopened?:confused:Yes, they've really jacked up their prices. It's good but expensive.

*15th Street FisheriesYes, probably fun if they can seat you outside.

*Duffy'sGreat choice

*QuarterdeckAnther great choice but I'm pretty sure all their tables are stationary so they may not be able to seat you all together

*Giuliano'sI'm not sure they could fit 20 people in the restaurant. I think it is pretty small.

You are all over the board with your price ranges. Everything from a $10 pizza to a $45 steak (Bimini). It would help if you could give me a price range?

Do you have to be within walking distance? It isn't walking distance but I'm going to throw LuLus out there because it is oceanfront, they have fishbowl drinks, and I think your group would have a blast there.

Of your above choices, I would got with Quarterdeck, Duffys, or if you can be seated outside Southport or 15th Street.

*Southport Raw Bar Probably too small. They may be able to seat you outside for a group that size and it could be fun.

*Boatyard (Used to be Bimini) - Is it me or have they really jacked up their prices since they reopened?:confused:Yes, they've really jacked up their prices. It's good but expensive.

*15th Street FisheriesYes, probably fun if they can seat you outside.

*Duffy'sGreat choice

*QuarterdeckAnther great choice but I'm pretty sure all their tables are stationary so they may not be able to seat you all together

*Giuliano'sI'm not sure they could fit 20 people in the restaurant. I think it is pretty small.

You are all over the board with your price ranges. Everything from a $10 pizza to a $45 steak (Bimini). It would help if you could give me a price range?

Do you have to be within walking distance? It isn't walking distance but I'm going to throw LuLus out there because it is oceanfront, they have fishbowl drinks, and I think your group would have a blast there.

Of your above choices, I would got with Quarterdeck, Duffys, or if you can be seated outside Southport or 15th Street.

I'm going to say walking distance is a must, and I would prefer to keep it in the mid-range for price. To me, that means there are entrée choices (besides just a chicken breast!:rolleyes:) in the $20ish range. If it was just me I would say I'll consider everything, but since I'm planning this for a roll call I want to be respectful of the fact people have different budgets and different tolerances when paying for a meal in a restaurant.

I'll definitely call all four above and see what they have to say. Do you know if Duffy's will take a reservation? I know that doesn't have the ambience of the others, but it certainly hits the mark as far as location, price, and menu variety.

Edited by Cindy

Based on your requirements, I'd go with Duffys.

Not sure if they take reservations. As long as no major football game or basketball game is going on, you should be fine.

Edited to add that Duffys does have outdoor seating, see if you can get that. Also, if you can't get reservations, go early, like 5PM and you will not have a problem.

Duffys has happy hour all day long.

Edited by BlueHerons

Based on your requirements, I'd go with Duffys.

Not sure if they take reservations. As long as no major football game or basketball game is going on, you should be fine.

Edited to add that Duffys does have outdoor seating, see if you can get that. Also, if you can't get reservations, go early, like 5PM and you will not have a problem.

Duffys has happy hour all day long.

Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what they say as soon as I have a definite count. I think it's a pretty quiet sports day...it's Selection Sunday for the NCAA Tournament, but there isn't anything that should draw a big crowd.

If we can't get reservations we may just have to pick a time and take our chances. I think 5:00 would be too early since lots of people are flying in that afternoon.

Green Bar & Kitchen has an outdoor patio and the tables can be grouped together. The food is great and it's very moderately priced.

http://greenbarkitchen.com/

It might not be everyone's taste, but it's an option.

Duffy's as mentioned would probably provide something for every taste.

Edited by brunello22

Green Bar & Kitchen has an outdoor patio and the tables can be grouped together. The food is great and it's very moderately priced.

http://greenbarkitchen.com/

It might not be everyone's taste, but it's an option.

Duffy's as mentioned would probably provide something for every taste, and it's fun.

Thanks again Blue Herons and Brunello22 for the advice. Southport has space for our group and was willing to take the reservation, so we're all set!:) I like that it's local, and very close to the Embassy Suites where most of the group is staying. I'm sure it helped tremendously that I was looking for a Sunday night instead of a Friday or Saturday night.

I talked to Duffy's, and they were pretty non-committal. A manager was supposed to call me back within an hour. That was yesterday and my phone hasn't rung. I thought the person I talked to at Boatyard was a bit snippy, but that's OK...we probably weren't going to end up there anyway. I liked them when it was Bimini, but I think their prices look high now. I never spoke with the person I needed to at 15th Street or Quarterdeck, but now I don't need to. It looks like Southport is perfect for what we need, and I can stop spending time on this!

Edited by Cindy