MITSUGIRLY lets the BREEZE flow through her hair-Spring Break Review/Pictorial

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:32 PM.
Canada
459 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by TheTravelista
You're one of my favorite reviewers on CC! NCL, CCL, doesn't matter. I read them all! Sakari is an absolute doll. That Little Mermaid video made my week!!

I've been saying that there are serious issues with food availability for a while now. Its a real problem. The 24 hour pizza is great in theory, but there needs to be more. The lines are always unbearable because its the only option so obviously theres a demand for late night food. NCL has O'Sheehan's, RCI has The Park Cafe/Cafe Promenade and Carnival has...? There absolutely needs to be a 24 hour diner/cafe style restaurant in addition to the pizza. Buffets need to be open at least an hour later during dinner hours, and during port days, the buffets should be open up until an hour after the ship has left the dock. Coming back from an excursion to little to no variety of food is so annoying.

Its funny because John Heald brings this topic up quite often on his FB page (more late night food options, Guys and/or Blue Iguana being open later, a mini breakfast buffet in the early am hours) and his...followers constantly tell him we don't need more food, there's more than enough food on the ship. It pains me every time.

The drink options are ridiculous as well. There used to be fruit punch back in the day but it was taken away with some stupid excuse about staining carpets. They could at least add Vitality's new flavored waters.

I'll probably make a separate thread about this lol, but yes I definitely feel your pain.
I agree Kim is the best reviewer and she stays up late while writing them therefore I don't get much sleep

I started sailing with Carnival many years ago and I am one to always be starving late nights so the options on Carnival are room service only or pizza which I don't do. I then went on Royal for quite a few sailings and when I look at the next cruise options for me the Promenade Café is one of the items that keeps pulling me back to Royal. I absolutely love those little mini croissant sandwiches in the Promenade Café.

I am going to cave one of these days to go back to Carnival and to try a NCL cruise. I really think that NCL would be my preferred line based on Kim's reviews (as well as Yorkvillian, Suitecruiser and Doug's they all rank pretty high)..I need to bite the bullet and go on a longer sailing. The longest I have been on is 5 nights and I am chewing at the bit to get off at the end so I am leery of trying a 7 night sailing (I know most people would think I have lost my marbles).. Perhaps it is as much as Royal has great things on their ships I think the entertainment staff lack and I am getting a little bored with the same old, same old. Going a longer sailing with a different line may be just what I need to not chew at the bit to get off after 5 nights.

Hopefully Carnival will expand the food options for late night diners.

Kim this is a great review. Sakari is amazing in many ways but man does she have that Mermaid thing perfected! Way to go Kim for letting her be a free spirit within limits, she is so well rounded for such a young girl and one with many talents I must add.

Thanks for sharing.
Eastern Shore of Maryland
254 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Man Kim - I am just loving your review !! ( in fact I love ALL your reviews!!)
Thank you so much for taking the enormous amount of time it must take !
I was just on Face Book and saw an ad for MERMAID SOCKS !!! - of course, I immediately thought of Sakari !
Not sure if they have kids size - but worth a look
Living proof dot com
When I did the questionnaire that Carnival sent me after our last cruise I told them it was ridiculous to have about 10+ options for lunch , and such a few in the evening
Looking forward to the rest of your review !!
Jane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Converse, Texas a sub of San Antonio
1,751 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by mitsugirly
Ok, I'm going to stop here. Time to get ready for work. I have a short day today and will be back soon. But, I still need to gather my pictures from this day and get them downloaded. But I will be back some time today to continue.
I am just being curious and wondering what type of work you do? Are you a Nurse or MD?

I used to work as a Home Health nurse and loved it because I had flexible work hours. I would set up my schedule with my patients each day . It was great for about 20 yrs then I got tired of all the driving. I work as an intake nurse in an office sertting now and love it.

I look so forward to reading your review. Everyday during my lunch break I am tuned into Cruise Critic and your review! Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Magic 05-13-17,Carnival Breeze 10/23/16,Carnival Breeze 05/22/16,
Carnival Magic 10/18/15, Carnival Magic 05/17/15, Carnival Triumph 12/15/14,Carnival Magic 05/18/14, Triumph 09/2013, Magic 05/2013, Triumph 07/2012, Magic 05/2012, Conquest 05/2011, Ecstacy 09/2010, Conquest 05/2010, Liberty 04/2009, Voyager of the Seas 04/2008, Conquest 04/2007 & 04/2006, Rhapsody of the Seas 04/2004 & 04/2005, Celebration 09/2004 & 05/2003 & 02/2002, Jubilee 08/2003

Some of it's magic, some it's tragic, but I've had a good life along the way. Jimmy Buffett

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on. Jimmy Buffett
MD+ FL
10,637 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
This is going to be an unusual question, but I have been reading all of your reviews and have enjoyed seeing all of your family having fun on all of your different cruises. You name all of the kids and grandkids that sail, but you always refer to your husband as hubby or Daddy. I am so curious to actually know what his name is

I have been to Puerto Rico many times and when Sakari gets older you should take her to the forts to learn about the history of San Juan. There actually are free hop on hop off buses that stop right by the cruise ships and do a loop around San Juan. It is also interesting to walk around Old Town and see the different Churches, Shops and Buildings. Of course this is something for the future because your little mermaid wouldn't appreciate this yet. San Juan is right on the Atlantic and the water is usually pretty wavy. The place you found is probably the best deal in the close in area because you would have to travel much farther to find the better beaches. The Condado beach area is another close in area with nicer looking sand, but it is still the rough water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
cool:Carol KC
Charter Member MFPPP - 2006
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

NCL Leeward to Canada,RCL Song of America to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Eastern Caribbean,HAL Statendam to Southern Carribbean,NCL Norweigan Crown to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Western Caribbean,NCL Wind to Alaska,Orient Lines Orient Crown to Mediterranean,NCL Sky to Alaska,Celebrity Zenith to Caribbean,HAL Noordam to Exotic Caribbean,Celebrity Galaxy B2B Baltimore to Galveston, Sun Princess to Caribbean Oct 29,05, RCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic Apr.30,06, Carnival Liberty Mediterranean Oct, 06RCL Radiance of the Seas Circle Hawaii Sept 28,2007, Mustard of the Seas F2F Chicago July 25,2008,Monarch of the Seas, LA to Mex. Sept. 8, 2008, Celebrity Constellation, Repo NJ to FL Oct 30, 2008,
RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Colon Panama to Ft. Lauderdale, April 19, 2009Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 14th, 2009
Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, Feb.12, 2010
Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean, Oct. 29, 2010
Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 12, 2011, bahamas
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, Oct.2013
Celebrity Century to the Caribbean, 2/15/14-2/23/14]Carnival Dream Jan. 14, 2016- Jan.24. CaribbeanNavigator of the Seas Jan. 29, 2017 Caribbean
British Columbia, Canada
54 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by mitsugirly
It was about 10am when we started coming in.

I "gots prime viewing" from my loud, smelly balcony.

Sakari really wanted to know how these men got there...I told her when they didn't see any sharks around, they went for it, jumped and swam over.

These men were screaming and yelling at Celebrity. Like one of them was super mad about something. He would throw his hands up in the air, scream, do the "about-face" walk and then turn back to repeat.

I can only assume that these ropes some how got stuck somewhere because they would be pulling and not getting anywhere with them.

The guy finally threw his hands up one last time, slammed the rope down and walked over to our ship and tied us up instead. HA! I guess we'll be docking earlier than expected and Celebrity will have to wait to dock at 10:30 "due to the waves and wind". We were docked by 10:15am.

They look like miniature people like the romans and cowboys in "Night At The Museum" movies...lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Here's the rest of the group still trying to get checked and pay and then assigned a bus.

We were assigned the bright orange bus. The other group pulled out ahead of us and waited.

We started our quick "tour"

We all sat outside in the "bus" of course and the driver sat inside with a loud speaker and microphone to talk to us.

This caught my eye...and no I'm not talking about my hubby...the KFC.

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

National Museum

This guy was raising up the lobster and flashing them at us, pointing and trying to get our attention. What did he want us to do? Stop the bus and run over to buy one and run back?

I sheltered Sakari's eyes and pointed in the other direction to reduce the possibility of being scared the rest of her life.

The Circus Today Basseterre's French heritage is not nearly so prominent as its British colonial past. The centerpiece of the city's evocative Georgian architecture is its Circus, a diminutive roundabout modeled in proper Victorian patriotism after Piccadilly, in London. In the middle of the Circus stands the bright green bronze of the Berkeley Memorial Clock, an ornate, cast iron tower with four clock faces and more than a little architectural decoration.

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Independence Sq-the site of the slave market.

These days independence Square is a very pleasant grassed park located centrally within Basseterre. There's a fountain in the centre (though not working), and eight paths radiating out in a Union Jack formation. The Square was originally known as "Pall Mall" when it was built in 1790 to hold slave auctions and council meetings.

This is the fountain in the middle...and I seriously hate that the picture didn't turn out well, but you can look it up online and see what it really looks like.

The Basseterre Co-Cathedral of Immaculate Conception. This was build around the 1700's I believe.

I can't believe I managed to get a shot of the stained glass window, located INSIDE the church, while moving AND zoomed in. Weird. Not completely clear, but you get the picture.

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Of course I always have to take pictures of the houses around the area along the way.

The local hardware and appliance store. Good to know if I ever move here I can by a fiberglass one piece pool. These things rock. We bought one back when my 3 oldest kids were little and had it installed and it was the best purchase I had ever made. We spent every minute we could in the pool during the summer, so many pool and birthday partys, lots of games we made up (me and the kids) and these types of pool are hands down the EASIEST thing to keep clean. Prior to getting one, we had an above ground and it was always turning green and I was changing the liner once a year. Never again. Man I miss my pool.

Our "other half" following us.

I think they might have said this was the local hospital? I'm really not sure but can't think of another reason I would randomly take a picture of something that wasn't just a house or something that wasn't of interest to me.

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
The "Go Green" Solar Farm located in Frigate Bay area. The electric company has responsibility to operate and maintain. The goal is by 2020, 100% of the island will have electric produced by renewable energy.

Yea, um...I'll take this one.

You see all those houses on the hills?

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
This is the Marriott located in Frigate Bay area and it is the biggest and most expensive place on the island he said.

The street lights in Frigate Bay area has wind and solar lights.

The street lamp is capable of producing up to 380 W of power if the sun was shining and the wind were blowing, and the street lamps save excess energy generated in a battery that powers their high efficiency LEDs through the night.

Just so you know, I have managed to look up most of this information online myself because our guide didn't mention some of this.

Mississippi
944 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I believe I asked you this a while ago but I can't for the life of me remember what you said...what is the name of the font that you use for your name on the pics? I love unusual fonts and I don't think I've seen this one anywhere else.

I'm really enjoying your review since we did this same itinerary a couple of years ago on the Freedom and we're booked to sail on the Breeze later this year (different itinerary, though). It's always fun to cruise vicariously through these wonderful reviews! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up Next!

RCCL Liberty of the Seas 9/17/17 Cozumel, Costa Maya & Roatan (Friends' Fall 2017 Cruise)

Sailed!

Carnival Breeze 9/25/16 Belize, Roatan, & Cozumel (Fall 2016 Cruise)
Carnival Dream 11/8/15 Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel (Friends' First Cruise & Birthday Cruise)
Carnival Freedom 8/24/14 St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk (26th Anniversary Cruise)
Carnival Conquest 8/25/13 Montego Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel (25th Anniversary Cruise)
Carnival Triumph 09/10 Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel (Week-Long Field Trip)
Carnival Fantasy 06/09 Key West, Nassau & Freeport, Bahamas (Graduation Celebration/Family Vacation)
Carnival Fantasy 08/08 Progreso & Cozumel (20th Anniversary Cruise)
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I had no idea what "benching" meant, but would soon find out. This was about to be a fingernail biting, gut twisting, head pounding ride ahead of us.

We slowed down and the driver slammed the bus into first gear and we all had neck whiplash. From here on out, we would climb Mt Tim in first gear, sounding as if we were clanging on a roller coaster, going up the chains to the top in an ever so slow fashion. Even Thomas the train thought he could faster than this I'm sure. We were all looking at each other like "Is that all this thing has?" "Are we going to make it?" "Will we need to call for help because this guy is going to blow first gear?" I have never, in my life, ever, positively ever hear anyone run a vehicle in first gear the way this guy did. Seriously. It was almost scary.

The beach area at the Marriott:

I had no idea just how far we had to go in order to get to Cockleshell but this hill was crazy! People were going around us and giving us the stink eye. Like seriously ...EVERYONE passed us. We must have been going 5 mph if a gust of wind caught our back side.

The roads twisted and turned and I could see my life flash before my eyes. Then I started getting the stink eye from the hubby and I knew exactly what it was for wth.did.you.get.us.into?¿?

I couldn't wait to make it to the top of Timothy Hill and get out, take some pictures, and gather my throat out of my stomach.

It was pretty along the way...just scary.

Then we get this...our other bus passing us and laughing at us. I mean they passed and took off and was out of site before long.

Construction was everywhere. Some roads were closed. Other "parts" (1 lane traffic going around a huge curve going straight down) would be blocked and plenty of construction crew in the middle of the road. You never knew what was going to be coming at you at any given moment.

^^You see that orange smiley face in the mirror? I can guarantee it was the only one smiling on this trip.

Very beautiful but I don't wanna!

St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): Large boulders block the original road over the top of Timothy Hill as the cliff above is cut back and stabilized in the first phase of a project to tackle the problem of heavy rock falls in the area. Phase One is to do benching: cut it back, and then Phase Two is to install a tunnel.
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I really wish I would have taken the time to put my camera on the miniature setting more during this drive. I really like the way they come out...but then again, I was hanging on for dear life and it was the last thought on my mind.

Notice the little sign ahead that signifies there is road work ahead...as in right around that corner and the road is partially blocked with traffic from that side of the road coming at you? Eeekkkkk!!! Gasp

Even this guy in a little truck pulling a load is passing us!

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
A house on the hill with a view

Now I don't remember at what point in my pictures did we come to the top of Timothy Hill, but as you can see, these were all taken from the bus as we were moving along. Why you ask? BECAUSE OUR DRIVER DID NOT STOP THAT'S WHY!!! We got up to the top of Timothy Hill and we passed the other bus driver that went around us and disappeared out of site and they waved to us as we flew by them. Um seriously? You put someone like me, who strives off getting the best pictures possible of the places I visit, and you don't stop??? Unacceptable! At that point I was a little ticked. Others on the bus said "I guess our driver didn't get the memo about the 10 minute stop!" I was hoping for the best and thinking maybe he was going to stop on the way back or something.

We came to this marina that was loaded with some HUGE yachts.

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

We finally seen a sign that said Reggae Beach. I was so relieved. At least we had made it and would get to enjoy the day there...even if it was the last thing we got to do.

OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Then there was another turn off...well, I thought we must be getting close.

FINALLY...we arrived. This was the parking lot.

According to my time stamp and watch, it was a 38 minute drive...in 1st gear.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC studio SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination
BAHAMAS: Great Stirrup Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Freeport: Paradise Cove
BARBADOS: Boatyard
BELIZE: Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Island Shark Ray Alley Goffs
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Bay Snorkel Park Tobacco Bay St Catherines Beach Achilles Bay Jet Ski & boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Bay Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue Kay
COZUMEL: Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion IslandPalancar
GRAND CAYMAN: Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK: BOHIO Governors
HALF MOON CAY
JAMAICA: Sunset Hilton Rose
ROATAN: Little French Key LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS: Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN: Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS: Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by FirstAlto
Man Kim - I am just loving your review !! ( in fact I love ALL your reviews!!)
Thank you so much for taking the enormous amount of time it must take !
I was just on Face Book and saw an ad for MERMAID SOCKS !!! - of course, I immediately thought of Sakari !
Not sure if they have kids size - but worth a look
Living proof dot com
When I did the questionnaire that Carnival sent me after our last cruise I told them it was ridiculous to have about 10+ options for lunch , and such a few in the evening
Looking forward to the rest of your review !!
Jane

Oh Jane, you are just so kind. Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Mermaid socks??? Say what? I will have to look!

Originally posted by Riley's Mom
I am just being curious and wondering what type of work you do? Are you a Nurse or MD?

I used to work as a Home Health nurse and loved it because I had flexible work hours. I would set up my schedule with my patients each day . It was great for about 20 yrs then I got tired of all the driving. I work as an intake nurse in an office sertting now and love it.

I look so forward to reading your review. Everyday during my lunch break I am tuned into Cruise Critic and your review! Thank you.
I'm a nurse. I'm a Private Home Health Nurse and absolutely love it. After working 30+ years in the hospital and the ER (not as a nurse all those years), I could never picture my life doing anything else. Then I got this job and 4 months after having it, quit working for the hospital. You honestly can't beat it. I work 2-3 hours a day, do my charting from home, pick my own patients, have everyone within a 5 mile radius of each other (and me) and make about 3x the amount those at the hospital do (at least in my area). There's no standing on my feet for 12 hour shifts, no one supervising me and I get to know my wonderful patients and they become a part of my life (as I do theirs). I can't imagine it any other way now. It's an amazing job (if only it wasn't for the company I subcontract off of, I would have the perfect job). But...another great factor, since I'm my own employer...I can vacation ANY time I want to. Mitsugirly=winning!
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by CAC104
This is going to be an unusual question, but I have been reading all of your reviews and have enjoyed seeing all of your family having fun on all of your different cruises. You name all of the kids and grandkids that sail, but you always refer to your husband as hubby or Daddy. I am so curious to actually know what his name is

I have been to Puerto Rico many times and when Sakari gets older you should take her to the forts to learn about the history of San Juan. There actually are free hop on hop off buses that stop right by the cruise ships and do a loop around San Juan. It is also interesting to walk around Old Town and see the different Churches, Shops and Buildings. Of course this is something for the future because your little mermaid wouldn't appreciate this yet. San Juan is right on the Atlantic and the water is usually pretty wavy. The place you found is probably the best deal in the close in area because you would have to travel much farther to find the better beaches. The Condado beach area is another close in area with nicer looking sand, but it is still the rough water.
Haha, that's funny. When I say something to the "hubby" he's like "I like it when you call me daddy...or big daddy is fine". LOL So I just always refer to him as that. Not always in real life of course, but you get it.

I was thinking once I mentioned his name, or maybe even gave a hint. Carnival does Dr Seuss and on our Pride cruise I went all out with the door decorations and making things...along with making Sakari her Thing 1 outfit complete with blue hair. I had the shirt too saying "Mom of thing 1" and I was desperately looking for a "Sam I Am" shirt for the hubby...because he is Sam and says "Sam I Am" all the time. Sakari has even picked up on it and calls him that during her Dr Seuss week at school telling all her classmates her dad is actually Sam I Am. I guess if she can be a real mermaid then daddy can be the real Sam.

Just my thought on the forts. I'm sure you are very aware that we are beach people. Not just Sakari, but all of us. We have never done tours or site seeing because it's just not something we would enjoy. I have the absolute least amount of interest in anything that has to do with history or buildings (unless they are a great picture opportunity...but only when passing by quickly) and if I have to walk around and stand out in the hot sun while someone tells me info about what this use to be or does, I am completely bored. Sakari is the same way, unless it involves animals. If there comes a day that Sakari says she would rather do something other than the beach or wants to do things like a tour, forts or even the Mayan ruins, then we'll do it. But until then...it's beaches or action adventure for us.

Originally posted by WanttoCruise2015
They look like miniature people like the romans and cowboys in "Night At The Museum" movies...lol
LOL yea
OH
24,060 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Working 2 cruise again
We took a cruise with some friends a few years back. My hubby and I spent the days out on the beach, in the sun and in the water. They spent the days even off the ship going to the casinos. We came back from the cruise with tans in November, they came back with sinus issues from the smoke. I like the casino but I love the sun and water so much more.

I guess I will never understand that. You can do casino's any other time. Why go to the Caribbean or anywhere to do more. I can't imagine. LOL But to each their own. I would have to leave them behind and head for the beach like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #55worktoplay
I agree Kim is the best reviewer and she stays up late while writing them therefore I don't get much sleep

I started sailing with Carnival many years ago and I am one to always be starving late nights so the options on Carnival are room service only or pizza which I don't do. I then went on Royal for quite a few sailings and when I look at the next cruise options for me the Promenade Café is one of the items that keeps pulling me back to Royal. I absolutely love those little mini croissant sandwiches in the Promenade Café.

I am going to cave one of these days to go back to Carnival and to try a NCL cruise. I really think that NCL would be my preferred line based on Kim's reviews (as well as Yorkvillian, Suitecruiser and Doug's they all rank pretty high)..I need to bite the bullet and go on a longer sailing. The longest I have been on is 5 nights and I am chewing at the bit to get off at the end so I am leery of trying a 7 night sailing (I know most people would think I have lost my marbles).. Perhaps it is as much as Royal has great things on their ships I think the entertainment staff lack and I am getting a little bored with the same old, same old. Going a longer sailing with a different line may be just what I need to not chew at the bit to get off after 5 nights.

Hopefully Carnival will expand the food options for late night diners.

Kim this is a great review. Sakari is amazing in many ways but man does she have that Mermaid thing perfected! Way to go Kim for letting her be a free spirit within limits, she is so well rounded for such a young girl and one with many talents I must add.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much. I seriously appreciate the wonderful comments. She definitely does have the mermaid thing perfected.