Snorkeling

huaberry

For off the beach snorkeling the easiest choice is Brewers and you will enjoy your day there. Just $8pp each way via safari taxi and Nicole's serves good drinks and food and has restrooms.

With your longer port time I'd suggest considering a cat sail to the Indians and Norman Island with One of the excellent operators like Aristocat, Kuralu, or patouche. Take a look at their sites to see if they interest you. Dive BVI is another option for those interested in diving.

Edited by blue_water

We were in Brewer's a couple of weeks ago, off the Summit. We went because we wanted to snorkel and heard good things about this beach. The day we went, the water was rough and you couldn't snorkel at all. The area to the left where the supposed good snorkeling is was getting pounded by waves and you would've taken you life in your hands to venture there. We did swim in the more central area which was fine but because of the wave action the water was murky so not good for snorkeling there either. There were chair rentals there, although they are limited and they ran out around 11am at which point people just put their towels on the sand. Also, Nicole's did have one restroom but the door didn't latch properly so you need to go with someone who can hold the door for you. Hopefully they've fixed that by now!

Obviously conditions can change day to day, depending on the weather so be prepared that you may not be able to snorkel here but still a nice beach to hang out at!

The sea and weather dictate beach and water conditions obviously and both Brewers and Smuggler's Cove are affected by sea swells and wind. Taking a daysail as mentioned can remove some of that concern but you won't have the beach to enjoy.

For off the beach snorkeling the easiest choice is Brewers and you will enjoy your day there. Just $8pp each way via safari taxi and Nicole's serves good drinks and food and has restrooms.

With your longer port time I'd suggest considering a cat sail to the Indians and Norman Island with One of the excellent operators like Aristocat, Kuralu, or patouche. Take a look at their sites to see if they interest you. Dive BVI is another option for those interested in diving.

We were in Tortola last month. Because the ship was only in port from 7am-1pm, we took the ship-sponsored Norman Island Snorkel excursion. The main spot they took us to was the Indians, and we enjoyed snorkeling off the boat there very much. Interesting coral and fish. And it must be a pretty popular place; we got there about 8:30am and there were already a handful of other boats on site.

They took us to Norman Island after that for a brief stop at the beach; the snorkeling there was not as good (but is was nice to be in the water).

Big%20silver%20fish%202%201024x807_zpshyhljlpj.jpg

Fish%20Fight%202%201024x592_zpsggzzkpak.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We went to Brewers so we could snorkel unfortunately it was rough and pouring with rain but had a lovely swim instead. Be aware the toilets (restrooms) when we were there were disgusting and that was to just get changed after swimming. A friend with us walked in and straight out, he didn't want to put his bag on the floor!! Hopefully it was a bad week and they are usually better....

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks!

I have my own equipment.

I would never use - used..;)

While staying on Tortola and spending the day at Smuggler's Cove we saw Nigel renting snorkel gear. One gal who rented gear from him while we were there came back and showed him a big wad of chewing gum on the mouthpiece - not sanitized as well as he'd said I guess... :p:eek::rolleyes:

We went to Brewers so we could snorkel unfortunately it was rough and pouring with rain but had a lovely swim instead. Be aware the toilets (restrooms) when we were there were disgusting and that was to just get changed after swimming. A friend with us walked in and straight out, he didn't want to put his bag on the floor!! Hopefully it was a bad week and they are usually better....

I totally agree about the toilet (was only one in Feb for everyone)..the door wouldn't latch shut so you had to have someone else there with you to hold it. It was filthy and there wasn't any soap in sight, nor toilet tissue.

The day we went the seas were rough and you couldn't snorkel here...one person got pushed up against the rocks by the waves and where it wasn't too wavy the sand was clouding up the water. I'd definitely go back on another trip and hope for calmer seas as I've heard so many good things about the snorkeling...hopefully the washroom situation will be improved by then:eek:

Our cabbie was good about returning at the agreed upon time and the trip there and back was uneventful.

Smugler's Cove has 1 portapotty in the parking lot but it's such a gorgeous beach...

Many people go to CGB to be assured of better facilities as it can be a bit rustic in the less touristy areas. But the snorkeling there is not great...

So Brewers has been the preferred beach for snorkeling with some amenities.

• 1 month later...