RC Legend - Question about Athens to Venice route

TargetsMom

Hello, everyone. We are booked on Royal Carib Legend of the Seas from Dubai to Venice in May 2017. Our last port of call is Piraeus (Athens). Looking at the map, I am wondering if the ship will sail west through the Gulf of Corinth and through the Corinthian Canal on its way to Venice OR if it will sail south and go the long way all around Greece before heading north toward Venice.

Has anyone who has sailed from Athens to Venice share their experiences re: the preferred route? Thanks!

kathy

Hi Kathy,

It'd be fun to watch Legend of the Seas trying to get through the Corinth Canal.

But it'd be the captain's last cruise - and probably Legend's last, too. :D

Check out the Corinth Canal's dimensions, & photos on googleimages & you'll see why ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

John:

One of my traveling companions asked if we would be sailing through this canal, which she claims she sailed through on a previous cruise. It is possible she was on a very small ship OR that she took a tour through the canal on a small tour boat and is just confused. :)

kathy

John:

One of my traveling companions asked if we would be sailing through this canal, which she claims she sailed through on a previous cruise. It is possible she was on a very small ship OR that she took a tour through the canal on a small tour boat and is just confused. :)

kathy

Could be either, Kathy.

Or mebbe it was the bourbon :D

Small cruise ships (at a guess up to about 20,000 tonnes, but the important figures are the beam & the draught) can squeeze through, as per some of the photos on googleimages.

Legend is about 70,000 tonnes & significantly wider than the canal.

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...

I sailed through the canal three times on Seabourn's little 200 PAX ( about 10,000 ton) ship and I can tell you we were absolutely at the max. I went into my suite and opened the French balcony doors and could almost touch the side dirt/rock walls of the canal.

I sailed through the canal three times on Seabourn's little 200 PAX ( about 10,000 ton) ship and I can tell you we were absolutely at the max. I went into my suite and opened the French balcony doors and could almost touch the side dirt/rock walls of the canal.

That sounds really cool! :)

kathy