Ladies: ? Re: Wearing Capris (AK in May)

mlbcruiser

There are hoodies and jackets available at reasonable prices in all Alaska ports, and they make a good souvenir. If you go out on deck most of the time you will need a sweater or jacket. I was comfortable on the ship with capris, tshirt and sandals during the day.

Don't know when you are coming to Alaska, but right now in Anchorage it is 36 degrees....I have fleece on....

We will be there in 2 weeks... While we are in shorts and capris here already, I'm packing jeans, leggings, fleece and warm sweaters for Alaska! Brrrr...36 sounds so cold.

Just 36? Yikes! I live in a definite 4 seasons place and we are in shorts one day and long pants w/jackets the next right now.

rotchill, sure you wore capris, t-shirts and sandals, coming from Ontario! Not exactly the Deep South, lol!'

I've done the looking at photo thing before, too. Often on Tripadvisor's reviewers' photos. Sometimes shore excursion sites have photos, too. Seems every one I've seen for AK shows people with a jacket, long pants and jogging type shoes or hiking boots. Sometimes they are wearing rain ponchos, too. (Just got our's today. Progress!) Can't say the photos are encouraging with regard to weather, for the most part. I'm still going to hope for the best, though!

KathShe, sounds like we have a similar wardrobe - right down to the "couple of skirts" you never wear. I almost feel like a last min. "5 Day Forecast" for each port of call will help determine my dilemma about capris - which affects the tops I bring, how many and which sweaters, etc. A nice, cozy, sweatshirt jacket I got in Vail last yr. will get packed. However, I have an even warmer, hooded one from the Grand Canyon that I am undecided about. The room these things will take up and the weight - compared to tropical and European summer cruises - is freaking me out! (Have I mentioned [only for the 5 millionth time] how much I HATE packing? :( )

Thanks for starting this thread! We just decided to rebook our cruise next year for 2016 instead. Luckily I have 4 months to pull together clothes.

I'm also from Florida with almost all capris in the closet so I think I'd better shop for some jeans. Our itinerary goes all the way to Kodiak in September and I'm not counting on warm, sunny days.

I remember from an Alaska cruise 30 years ago that layers are a good idea, so thanks for that reminder. My base layer may be cotton turtlenecks, though, instead of tees.

I'm only 3wks out. Also coming from Florida. Been hitting the clearance racks for sweaters fleece etc. Never have more than a couple of outfits for home. Real winter never makes it this far south. I've looked at the forecast for all ports highest seems to be 70's for Seattle. Deb

Cruised Alaska last time in August and going again this August so hope I can figure out the right clothes. Alaska is a challenge but I agree with what nearly everyone has said about the weather. Last time we went out of Seattle and it was 80F when we left port. By the time we were eating dinner the fog rolled in and the temperature plummeted by, I swear, 20 degrees at least. It was never much warmer than 60F after that and it rained nearly every day. Be sure you take something for rain! We had a couple of those cheap plastic poncho thingys and we were soaked right through on the one tour where there was a lot of walking and it poured.

Prepare for worse hope for the best. Have been to Ketchikan twice, the wettest city in the US and in august it was 75 degrees and sunny (store keepers were complaining it was too hot) then the following year in May. 60 and sunny. Go figure. Even the glacier i was just wraring a light sweater.

• 1 month later...

What do you wear to dinner in the main dining room on the regular nights? What about hubby? We are on Holland...I assume we can wear jeans everywhere else but not sure for the main dining room. I am use to vacationing in the Caribbean where I wear my summer dresses and he wears shorts/polos. Thanks!

What do you wear to dinner in the main dining room on the regular nights? What about hubby? We are on Holland...I assume we can wear jeans everywhere else but not sure for the main dining room. I am use to vacationing in the Caribbean where I wear my summer dresses and he wears shorts/polos. Thanks!

I haven't been on HAL yet, but I have been reading about it for my upcoming cruise. I know that shorts are not permitted in the dining rooms in the evening, but nice jeans are okay. You can still wear summer dresses if you want. It is summer, and you will be indoors. You might want a light cardigan, but people have said here that they often need one in the Caribbean too, since the dining rooms are kept cool. Your husband should be fine with jeans/dockers and a polo or other collared shirt.