Labadee - Quiet - Amiga Island?

SeaStar86

I think it would be fine. I never felt as if my kids were unwelcome. And folks can walk all around the island with beautiful beach everywhere, so if anyone wanted to get away from your children, they would be able to.

I would recommend bringing some inflatable floats for them. The waves were very gentle, but there was a bit of a drop off at the main beach; so it got deep pretty quick.

I just wanted to thank those that posted pics and reviews of Amiga....my mind is also made up. DH didn't want a cabana (price hikes in case you guys haven't heard, PLUS reduction in what you get) and wanted to still spend time at Labadee.

We've been there before, but he wants time to check out the shops. neither of us cares about the food, we're just as likely to go back on the ship and eat. We did that last time but the combo of sun/water and then a full belly knocked me out until about 3pm and then I didn't want to 'swim upstream' so to speak to get back out there just to browse the shops.

So, I will book Amiga and we will shop and hopefully beat the rush back to the ship.

Two Questions for you guys:

Did you think the time of day that you went to Amiga affected your enjoyment? IOW, was it too hot in the afternoon? Or did you miss the buffet by going in the morning? Things like that.

Second, for those of us who need reprieve from the Caribbean sun, I just want to be sure that there's the option of setting up shop under some shade. I don't mind laying on a towel or the sand, but I'd really like to be able to get in some shade if need be.

TIA!!

-Nikki

I just wanted to thank those that posted pics and reviews of Amiga....my mind is also made up. DH didn't want a cabana (price hikes in case you guys haven't heard, PLUS reduction in what you get) and wanted to still spend time at Labadee.

We've been there before, but he wants time to check out the shops. neither of us cares about the food, we're just as likely to go back on the ship and eat. We did that last time but the combo of sun/water and then a full belly knocked me out until about 3pm and then I didn't want to 'swim upstream' so to speak to get back out there just to browse the shops.

So, I will book Amiga and we will shop and hopefully beat the rush back to the ship.

Two Questions for you guys:

Did you think the time of day that you went to Amiga affected your enjoyment? IOW, was it too hot in the afternoon? Or did you miss the buffet by going in the morning? Things like that.

Second, for those of us who need reprieve from the Caribbean sun, I just want to be sure that there's the option of setting up shop under some shade. I don't mind laying on a towel or the sand, but I'd really like to be able to get in some shade if need be.

TIA!!

-Nikki

Hi Nikki,

You are very welcome for the reviews. When I planned our trip, there was very little information regarding Amiga Island and I combed the internet for anything I could find!

Our excursion was supposed to be from 10-1. We were notified on day 1 of our cruise that the time had been changed to 8:30-11:30; we were told that the times can vary based on other excursions. So be aware that the time may change. I had been concerned about missing lunch with the later time, so the change worked well for us. Although I agree with what you said, the lunch on Labadee is nothing special and we would skip next time to eat on the ship.

We were on the island for two hours (roughly 9-11). Yes, it was strange to be drinking our complimentary rum punch that early (but in a good way:cool:). We were lucky to have a nice sunny day with fluffy clouds, so it was warm and sunny while we where there. There is ample shade on the island. All the hammocks and adirondak chairs were set up in the shade along the beach. The island consists of a beautiful narrow beach that is boardered by palm trees and other vegetation. There were also woven beach mats that you could relocate where you wanted. Only downside to the excursion was those two hours flew by!

Look carefully at my posted pic with the folks getting off the boat. It was a bit tricky getting on and off as you exit into the water while the boat is moving with the waves. We had no trouble, but are active folks. Just giving a heads up to anyone who may have mobility issues.

Edited by disneynan
typo

Now I'm doubly sure that I'm booking Amiga as our excursion!!

Thanks again for the additional info!

And thanks (even though it doesn't currently apply to us- we're relatively young and fairly active) for reminding people about exiting the boat out in the water. For those with mobility issues, or even balance issues, this is a very important thing to take note of.

I read that the island is surrounded by coral reefs and we do plan to snorkel. Would you recommend water shoes?

Our excursion is from 10-1 and we will be missing out on the buffet at Labadee (confirmed this with RCCL). I would recommend taking the later option so you can grab lunch first. But, I have not been yet, so that is just my uninformed opinion.:D

Water shoes are a good idea. Not needed for the beach but if you are walking around the island or in the water .

I did bring water shoes, but ended up doing fine with flip flops and bare feet; just need to be careful of rocks in the water.

We regretted bringing snorkel gear as well. The excursion was just too short to bother. Ended up just hanging out in the water and walking around the island.

Hi Nikki,

You are very welcome for the reviews. When I planned our trip, there was very little information regarding Amiga Island and I combed the internet for anything I could find!

Our excursion was supposed to be from 10-1. We were notified on day 1 of our cruise that the time had been changed to 8:30-11:30; we were told that the times can vary based on other excursions. So be aware that the time may change. I had been concerned about missing lunch with the later time, so the change worked well for us. Although I agree with what you said, the lunch on Labadee is nothing special and we would skip next time to eat on the ship.

We were on the island for two hours (roughly 9-11). Yes, it was strange to be drinking our complimentary rum punch that early (but in a good way:cool:). We were lucky to have a nice sunny day with fluffy clouds, so it was warm and sunny while we where there. There is ample shade on the island. All the hammocks and adirondak chairs were set up in the shade along the beach. The island consists of a beautiful narrow beach that is boardered by palm trees and other vegetation. There were also woven beach mats that you could relocate where you wanted. Only downside to the excursion was those two hours flew by!

Look carefully at my posted pic with the folks getting off the boat. It was a bit tricky getting on and off as you exit into the water while the boat is moving with the waves. We had no trouble, but are active folks. Just giving a heads up to anyone who may have mobility issues.

Disneynan,

Your answers have been invaluable as you are right there was very little information out there about Amiga Island. However, it looks like the word is out because my sailing (which is about 2 weeks out) has the excursion listed as sold out / unavailable for booking now for both AM and PM. I have been to Labadee several times and was one of those who booked cabanas all the time ( at least on my last three (3) visits). However the crazy cabana price increase completely took us out of that market ( ..No thanks I will keep $495 in my pocket !!)

Thanks again for the feedback and pics as I would've certainly missed out on this newer excursion. I too will post pics upon my return of our time on the island.

Edited by beachdiamonds

Disneynan,

Your answers have been invaluable as you are right there was very little information out there about Amiga Island. However, it looks like the word is out because my sailing (which is about 2 weeks out) has the excursion listed as sold out / unavailable for booking now for both AM and PM. I have been to Labadee several times and was one of those who booked cabanas all the time ( at least on my last three (3) visits). However the crazy cabana price increase completely took us out of that market ( ..No thanks I will keep $495 in my pocket !!)

Thanks again for the feedback and pics as I would've certainly missed out on this newer excursion. I too will post pics upon my return of our time on the island.

Beach diamonds, I hope you are as happy with Amiga Island as we were. I thought the price was really good, much cheaper than the cabanas. And Labadee can't compare!

Have a wonderful trip!

Took this excursion when on Allure OTS in early April. Best excursion of our cruise. We took the early trip, as I find weather conditions to be more pleasant in the mornings. The crew was friendly and professional. Drinks were cheap and tasty, especially the rum punch (had several of those). The beach was perfect and the water (at least on our day) was clear and warm. I'd rebook this excursion in a heartbeat. I attached some pics.

12977260_10156799095905402_8088050856320984609_o.jpg.67d76669eedce79f919ff941b33526c8.jpg

12983297_10156799096225402_1795010941308412627_o.jpg.ca740d459b6f6a3eb2fc4ee764e9330d.jpg

Took this excursion when on Allure OTS in early April. Best excursion of our cruise. We took the early trip, as I find weather conditions to be more pleasant in the mornings. The crew was friendly and professional. Drinks were cheap and tasty, especially the rum punch (had several of those). The beach was perfect and the water (at least on our day) was clear and warm. I'd rebook this excursion in a heartbeat. I attached some pics.

Mattykarma,

Those pics are amazing!!! You guys are killing me with the pics!!! Man the secret is out! The water in the pics is absolutely 1000% clearer than what is on Labadee. Wish that I could go there now!!

I originally had the AM excursion booked but changed it to PM to accommodate the Coastal cruise excursion in the morning. From what I read that excursion gets awesome reviews as well. It does go around Amiga Island as well as some of the villages and the Citadel so I guess I will get to SEE Amiga in the AM with a 2.5 hour break around lunch before going back out in the PM to actually experience Amiga. I have been to Labadee so many times that I wanted to mix it up some since by beloved cabanas now cost almost as much as the fare for 1-person on the cruise:rolleyes:. Again can not wait to go there and will take pictures from both excursions in the AM and PM.

• 1 month later...

We took the boat shown from the dock at Labbadee; was about 20min out. They played 80s hits set to reggae. We did have to wade onto shore which was fine for us, but might be difficult if you have mobility issues. The water was cooler than expected, but not as bad as the Atlantic we usually swim in LOL. The sand was so soft and the water so clear and beautiful blue. There were about 35 of us on the excursion. There was one other family on the island not from our excursion. At one point, several men came in boats and took out the boats that were on the island when we arrived. They had hammocks and adirondak chairs. Bathroom was a pit toilet. We walked all around the island, such a beautiful, continuous beach. Lots of shells and sand dollars to be found. Everyone got a complimentary rum punch or fruit punch. The only negative aspect was that we had 2 hours on the island......didn't feel like enough time! They were building a pavilion, so I don't think it is going to remain as untouched as it is now. I would highly recommend this excursion.

Can you bring back a few sand dollars & shells? Could you bring them on the ship?

• 1 month later...

Very easy to get to the washroom. It is only 30 feet or so from the bar. There was a woman and her elderly mother on our excursion and both seemed to have enjoyed the tour immensely.

I understand that it is a "pit toilet," but can anyone please elaborate on the facilities? Are there toilet seats? Does anyone know if there are plans to build a restroom/shower building? We are thinking of bringing young children with us, so we want to have as much as information as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

This Amiga Island tour has me a bit confused. Last year we booked the adult sandbar getaway. We had great weather, but never stopped at a sandbar. We did go to this beautiful Island, had to be Amiga Island. Did we go on the wrong excursion. It left at 1:00 and we did spend a little less than 2 hours there, no children. Do they combine Amiga Island with the sandbar tour or did we get on the wrong boat. It was a great trip!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

like others said above, I found very little information on Amiga Island until I found this post. Thanks for all of the great information... I just booked it for my February 2017 sailing. A little nervous that it'll be chilly, but that's why I get for booking a winter cruise lol