Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Thoughts....

• You want a "daypass" from the Canada Line ticket machine. The $9.75 day pass does not have any zone limitations. It is included.
    http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx
  • Depending on what time you decide to step off the ship, clear customs.... you may be too early for Aberdeen. If Dim Sum is of interest.... you might want to call ahead to ensure they are open. I think Fisherman's terrace opens at 10am and the mall stores open around 11am (including the food court).
  • Love lychee's, but not sure if they are available in May. Canned versions will be available. The Vancouver Chinatown will have a few grocery type stores.... otherwise Richmond has Chinese Supermarkets like TnT.
  • "eat street"? Or are you referring to Alexandria "food street". Lots of restaurants, don't think there's any grocery stores. Warning "food street" restaurants have limited English staff and English menu's. They also don't really open up until noon.
  • You mentioned "Vancouver Chinatown"... I know the Floata is open at 7:30am til around 1:30pm for Dim Sum. If you have sent your luggage to the airport.... this free's you up to Vancouver's Chinatown for breakfast and looking at the shops (including grocery stores).
    http://www.floata.com/locations.html
  • Use Google Maps to get an idea of how long it takes to go between cruise terminal, Vancouver Chinatown, Aberdeen and airport on public transit. BTW.... the Canada Line daypass is also good with public transit.
  • besides Aberdeen, grocery stores and food.... do you have any interest with the local attractions that we can suggest an itinerary for your day? Examples include: Capilano, Grouse, Stanley Park, Gastown, Granville Island. You mentioned mobility being an issue, but these attractions are the highlights for a visitor.

[YOUTUBE]Bp23NjEILyc[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]FUb6c-zjDFQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Here's one possible idea...

• 8:30am walk off ship
  • 9:15am walk over to Waterfront station to get a "daypass". Board Canada Line with luggage
  • 9:45am drop off luggage at CDS at airport international arrivals locations
  • 10:00am return to Canada Line to go to Bridgeport station
  • 10:10am switch to "Richmond" train for Aberdeen station
  • 10:15am arrive at Aberdeen station to explore the malls. Perhaps Dim Sum if you are hungry. Otherwise explore the malls and have Dim Sum later when you are hungry.

I'm going to budget 2 hours to eat and explore the area. But as mentioned... other than Dim Sum.... nothing will be open until 11am. By noon, you will still have 4 hours to wander around before returning to the airport. Ride the train into Vancouver downtown for attractions? Visit Chinatown?

Alternative plan....

• 8:30am walk off ship
  • 9am collect luggage and drop off at CDS luggage for delivery to airport (need to double check with CDS when the luggage will be available at airport)
  • 9:30am catch the free shuttle to Capilano to check out the attraction as it opens early
  • 11:30am return to cruise terminal on free shuttle
  • 12pm walk over to Waterfront station to get day pass for bus and subway
  • 12:15pm catch a bus to Chinatown
  • 12:30pm Dim Sum in Vancouver Chinatown and/or explore the grocery stores
  • 1:30pm return downtown for subway to Aberdeen
  • 2:30pm explore the Aberdeen mall, shops and nearby stores
  • 3:15pm start making your way to the airport to retrieve luggage
  • 4pm arrive at airport to check-in. They suggest being at airport 3 hours before flight
  • 7pm wheels up

Another variation is to skip Chinatown and Aberdeen for the Hop on shuttles for other attractions before your flight.

Hi xoxl, wow! Thank you thank you very much for your suggestions.

They sound excellent and so detailed.

I also want to thank all of you having me great suggestions.

I really appreciate for your time research and to write these steps to help stranger. You are good people.

I am so impressed and pleased. Thanks again.

I am sure we will enjoy our short time in Vancouver.

Answers in red.

Thank you for all answers. I am very greaful.

You're welcome

Ok, So idea of dropping off bags ourselves to airport sound good. The take train to Aberdeen center where 'eat street'..We only want to check out some restaurants from that area, get some fresh fruit, pastries and dimsa. We are not interested on shopping or wondering around those malls. We may spend around 2 hrs there.

This is Alexandra Road, as xlxo guessed - I've heard it referred to as both 'Eat Street' and 'Restaurant Row' by native Richmond folks from years back; Food Street seems to be what the fancier folks like Richmond Tourism started referring to it as in the last decade, I think just because it sounds a bit less like broken rhyming English, so classier in some way?

TnT have a branch downtown - plenty of fruit options there, whatever is in season fresh (and always frozen Durian if that floats your boat). NB: any fruit you buy needs to be eaten before boarding your flight, you will not be allowed to bring it into the US!!!

Any suggestions what we can do after and get back to airport for our 7pm flight to US?

Personally I would do downtown first - as noted, neither restaurants nor stores in the mall will be open until nearer lunchtime, so I'd be inclined to stick to the luggage transfer service to save having to go out and back twice. I believe you said you'd visited Vancouver before - what didn't you see last time? You have ample time to see any one thing in the morning, or two smaller attractions like FlyOverCanada or the smaller museums.

Hop on hop off bus that that us to aiport? Husband is not a walker and adventure as I am.

HOHOs all stick to downtown - none to airport. You could do a regular 'city tour with airport drop' that would have you there by around 1:30pm, allowing plenty of time to head back into Richmond for lunch and a little shopping.

What type of pass should we get to cover two of us from cruise port to airport, from airport to Richmond -birdhouse station and bach to cruiset or airport?

I read from Canada line website, it mentions about zones fare.

5/16 is a Monday, so yes zones apply. But depending what you're doing, a Daypass is not always the best value - even if you go out, drop bags and come back downtown that's just one 2 Zone $4 ticket (you have 90mins to board your last vehicle from time you buy ticket, more than enough). Going from YVR to Aberdeen or vice versa is in the same Zone, so a single zone $2.75 ticket is enough. So unless you need to go to Richmond, and back downtown, and back to Richmond AND somewhere else on transit, you'll save money just paying for each ticket (even 2 separate 2 zone tix is only $8pp total).

One more question please. What kind of imported tropical fresh fruits (like mangosteen, longan, rambutan,lychees )are available in May and are they available at Vancouver Chinatown stores?

Anything in season you'll find in Chinatown downtown - and more of the same out in Richmond. They won't have more varieties, just greater volume of stores. I'd expect to see at least Jackfruit, Papaya, StarFruit, Lychee, and maybe Rambutan - it's usually here before the end of May, but I haven't seen any so far this year. Longan and Mangosteen we don't usually see until the end of summer.

Thank you very much

Your welcome... I get around....

Enjoy your visit and feel free to send more questions our way.

Just want to make sure you visit is rewarding. Aberdeen is more for those on multi-day visits in Vancouver, rather than a highlight.

Hi martincath, thank you very much for your wealth information. We were in Vancouver just for day and we did city tour, had lunch at gas town and dinner at someplace in Chinatown.

Thanks again to all your answers. I printed them out to bring with us.

We will be on a July 31 cruise and visiting Vancouver with another couple prior to the cruise and by ourselves (DH and I) after the cruise. We will be arriving July 28 via the Cascades train from Seattle at around noon on the 28th. From July 28 – 31 we are staying at the Westin Grand and the other couple is staying at L’Hermitage. Others will be flying in to join us very late on the 29th. I hope to be able to get some information/options/assistance about a few things.

1. Are there taxi’s readily available at the train station (feel there must be!) and are they flat rated as from the airport?

2. On the 29th, we have booked a tour to Victoria encompassing all day so planning for that day is done.

3. Looking for logistical information for getting to the port on the 31st. Probably would like to arrive there between 11:00 – 11:30 am. If by taxi, is that flat rate?

4. Any logistical or safety issues of which we should be aware in our area of town? What about taxiing around town while there? Do you have Uber?

5. Would love some restaurant recommendations while in town. Cannot have Mexican or Thai food due to allergy to cilantro. I know salmon is a specialty and all the others would like it; however, it is one of about three fish that I detest. So, while we could go to a restaurant that features salmon, another option must be available as well. DH would love a good Chinese restaurant recommendation. If there are any great places that the locals love near to either hotel, that is a plus. Usually those have better food per dollar!

6. This is a the first time in Vancouver for all but one person, and that person visited decades ago. What other sites (besides the suspension bridge) would you consider must see? Although spectacular looking, that bridge looks to be too daunting for a height-challenged sightseer.

7. After the cruise on Sunday, the two of us will be staying until Wednesday. We cannot decide exactly where to stay for those days or whether or not to rent a car and venture farther out.

Thanks for any and all information!

Dang Quote function is misbehaving again for me today... anyhoo, my answers follow each Q in red.

1. Are there taxi’s readily available at the train station (feel there must be!) and are they flat rated as from the airport?

Yes, there are plenty to meet each train; no, they are not flat rate. The only flat rates cabs are incoming FROM the airport, not even TO it. Expect to pay only $10 or less to the WG.

3. Looking for logistical information for getting to the port on the 31st. Probably would like to arrive there between 11:00 – 11:30 am. If by taxi, is that flat rate?

Depending on bags, you could be able to walk quite feasibly - it's under a mile. Cab will cost more on the fixed chunk getting in than the distance part of the fare - and then may add more again waiting in the queue of vehicles entering Canada Place! At 11ish, $10 is reasonable for the meter - but you should seriously consider arriving MUCH later or an hour earlier unless you really enjoy unnecessarily long queues!

4. Any logistical or safety issues of which we should be aware in our area of town? What about taxiing around town while there? Do you have Uber?

No Uber, Lyft, ride-shares (well no relevant ones, there is a single pilot ride-share for UBC students but it doesn't operate in downtown where you will be). Cabs or limos only - and the latter have legal minimum fares of $75 except on the airport route, so no use for practical around town travel. WG is pretty safe - I lived directly opposite it for a year, and aside from the hockey riots which passed by the only concern we had was noise from the Pride Parade afterparty on the outdoor pool deck!

5. Would love some restaurant recommendations while in town. Cannot have Mexican or Thai food due to allergy to cilantro. I know salmon is a specialty and all the others would like it; however, it is one of about three fish that I detest. So, while we could go to a restaurant that features salmon, another option must be available as well. DH would love a good Chinese restaurant recommendation. If there are any great places that the locals love near to either hotel, that is a plus. Usually those have better food per dollar!

The best brekky/brunch spot in town is on the ground floor of L'Hermitage - Medina.

Fish-wise, almost anywhere with Salmon will also have Halibut and/or Cod. If you like simple preparations, like classic fish & chips, simply grilled or baked, then it's hard not to recommend the Fish Shack on Granville St. For fancier fare, including sushi/sashimi for those who want it, Blue Water is on the other end of the spectrum. If everyone likes sushi, try Shuraku at Granville & Robson.

Good Chinese requires further subdivision - fancy or not? Cantonese/Szechuan/other regional or not fussy? Old school or modern?

Hons (cheap, Cantonese) have two branches that could be convenient, on Robson and in Chinatown. ChongQing (cheap, Szechuan) also has a Robson branch - have the Ginger Beef, a Canadian dish (Albertan actually). Kirin is old school, high end, mostly Cantonese, with great Dim Sum. Bambudda (Cantonese) and Bao Bei (Taiwan/Shanghai style) are both very modern, tapas-esque, cocktail-focused places (I'd give the edge in quality to the latter, but in service to the former). Maybe $20 by cab to the most award-winningest downtown-ish Chinese - Dynasty on Broadway, who have been racking up local awards for best dim sum and seafood the last few years. Similar location for Peaceful, a Northern place that's more cheap & cheerful. Don't confuse Dynasty with Dinesty - a Dumpling House with a popular Robson location.

Oh, and be careful if you have Dumplings - cilantro is quite popular in some types so best to avoid these unless you get some informed staff with good English (not likely in the cheaper spots).

6. This is a the first time in Vancouver for all but one person, and that person visited decades ago. What other sites (besides the suspension bridge) would you consider must see? Although spectacular looking, that bridge looks to be too daunting for a height-challenged sightseer.

I've never regarded Cap as a must-see personally; too many people have issues with bouncy bridges but feel obliged to waste significant coin visiting because 'everyone says they have to!' - plus there's a less busy, less touristy FREE alternative which since you have a lot of time is easily reached. Stanley Park and the Seawall are THE definitively Vancouver-y experiences. Other things you can do here that are (almost) impossible to do anywhere else:

• FlyOverCanada - barring Disney, the best flying ride around (and the longest in the world at almost 8min air time)
  • Queen Elizabeth Park - free unless you go into the Bloedel conservatory, two quarry gardens (similar ilk to Butchart, smaller scale), best views in Vancouver as at the highest point. Seasons in the Park is a good brunch option on a sunny day - book in advance though!

• Dr Sun Yat-Sen scholar's garden - most authentic in the world outside Suzhou, China. Best urban garden in the world (Nat Geo). Many other awards. A peaceful oasis in the heart of the city - and if you're not sure it's your bag, the park next door is free and shares the same pond and carp! If you like the park (made with cheaper inauthentic materials but still very Chinese in style), the garden is probably worth the <$13pp
  • Some of our Museums are outstanding - particular highlights being the MoA, Maritime, and MoV (neon sign display is second only to the 'graveyard' in Vegas)
  • If heights are tolerable without the bounciness of a suspension bridge, the Harbour Centre Lookout gives good views around the city (HOHOs will sell you discounted tickets too)

7. After the cruise on Sunday, the two of us will be staying until Wednesday. We cannot decide exactly where to stay for those days or whether or not to rent a car and venture farther out.

I would urge you to at least consider dropping your point 2 in favour of extending your trip on the Island - it really is worth more time than a one day tour. Car and ferry will cost much less than your tour and give you much more flexibility and time to spend where and when you want to, as well as opening up spectacular sites like Cathedral Grove to you which are not included on the day trips. You might even be able to fly out of YYJ instead of YVR - or Clipper back to Seattle if you plan to return there. Hotels on the island offer some bargains compared to Vancouver too, or splurge on a Victoria harbour location like the Empress for a night.

Other good out-of-town trips are up to Whistler - the Sea to Sky highway is spectacular, and there are things en route like waterfalls, gondola rides, and the superb Britannia Mine Museum which are much easier to do with a rental car. Closer to home there's Steveston in Richmond - a twee little fishing village, as seen on Once Upon a Time as Storybrooke, with another great museum, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery.

Whatever you choose to do, you're making a very wise decision to actually spend plenty of time around this neck of the woods rather than just in and out for a cruise!

Edited by martincath
missed FoC link

We will be on a July 31 cruise and visiting Vancouver with another couple prior to the cruise and by ourselves (DH and I) after the cruise. We will be arriving July 28 via the Cascades train from Seattle at around noon on the 28th. From July 28 – 31 we are staying at the Westin Grand and the other couple is staying at L’Hermitage. Others will be flying in to join us very late on the 29th. I hope to be able to get some information/options/assistance about a few things.

Some thoughts...

• be prepared for high congestion for the days leading up to your cruise. It's a long weekend. Plan your dinner reservations on July 30th evening.... there's a massive fireworks competition and Disney is bringing in the big guns! Downtown will be high congestion.
    http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/
  • The suspension bridge has greatly changed from "decades ago" and may be worth a return.... especially for those not height challenged and first timers. In addition to the main bridge, there are mini bridges on the other side and metal/glass bridge (cliff walk) experience (please don't jump up and down).
  • the area just North of the Amtrak station is low-income. This may be disturbing for some to walk through.
  • hailing cabs is super easy with the eCab app. Otherwise, I recommend having dispatch on your speed dial 604-681-1111.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

I just made a reservation for the Tsawwassen Ferry to Duke Point for the 12:45pm on 5/20 after we disembark (note we also have a reservation for the 3:15pm (why? because I'm a fanatical planner).

Considering there are three ships disembarking Canada Place that day, and the long weekend, what are the odds we would be able to get through immigration, get a cab, get to YVR for the rental, and to Tsawwassen in time for the 12:45? We plan on grabbing the first disembarkation time available to us.

Thanks to all who have answer my questions lately and I hope all have smooth seas in your future travels :)

I just made a reservation for the Tsawwassen Ferry to Duke Point for the 12:45pm on 5/20 after we disembark (note we also have a reservation for the 3:15pm (why? because I'm a fanatical planner).

Considering there are three ships disembarking Canada Place that day, and the long weekend, what are the odds we would be able to get through immigration, get a cab, get to YVR for the rental, and to Tsawwassen in time for the 12:45? We plan on grabbing the first disembarkation time available to us.

Thanks to all who have answer my questions lately and I hope all have smooth seas in your future travels :)

You have to be at the ferry 30 min before the sailiing time, so by 12:15. If the stars align you should make it but i myself wouldnt risk it. You do know that reservations are non refundable as well i hope.

You have to be at the ferry 30 min before the sailiing time, so by 12:15. If the stars align you should make it but i myself wouldnt risk it. You do know that reservations are non refundable as well i hope.

I do know the reservation price is nonrefundable so if we do not make it, it is what it is. However, if we do make it, it's worth it. If not, we'll be on the 3:15. Such are the joys of island life :D

Thoughts....

• you do know going from Vancouver Downtown to Nanaimo... Horseshoe Bay is a closer terminal.
  • you can fly there if the ferries don't work out.
  • I recommend being the first walkoffs at 7:30am..... I hear there was a 3 hour cab line in the morning in recent days.
  • If you see a 3 hour cab line.... research how to walk to the Pacific Rim or the Harbourside hotel. For a cab wait that long.... walking three blocks is worth it for that shorter line.
  • Also research subway to public transit options.
  • I would make reservations when bringing a rental car.... not so for a ferry walk-on.

Thoughts....

• you do know going from Vancouver Downtown to Nanaimo... Horseshoe Bay is a closer terminal.
  • you can fly there if the ferries don't work out.
  • I recommend being the first walkoffs at 7:30am..... I hear there was a 3 hour cab line in the morning in recent days.
  • If you see a 3 hour cab line.... research how to walk to the Pacific Rim or the Harbourside hotel. For a cab wait that long.... walking three blocks is worth it for that shorter line.
  • Also research subway to public transit options.
  • I would make reservations when bringing a rental car.... not so for a ferry walk-on.

I always seem to make things more complicated without even trying sometimes!

Since we have to pick up a rental at YVR, the Horseshoe Bay ferry becomes kind of counterproductive (especially since we will be flying back from YVR to SFO). In looking at prices to rent at the Pan Pacific or thereabouts vs. YVR (plus my discount code for a particular YVR rental company), it just made economical sense to do it this convoluted way. Otherwise, I whole heartedly agree about Horseshoe Bay.

I'm thinking more and more that lugging the luggage a few blocks may have to be option one with three ships in port. If I have to wait 3 hours for a taxi, the results would be tragic ;)

As a Vancouverite, you may not know the answer to this, as you're already there. But...

I want to bring a case of wine on board my upcoming cruise departing Vancouver in late June. I'm not (too) concerned about getting the wine aboard the ship. Worst case, I'll pay corkage.

What I'm worried about is whether I'll be socked with duty, VAT, confiscation or other mayhem when I try to clear customs at YVR with a case of wine.

Do you (or any other dear readers) know???

--Marne

Edited by marne-c

Got a different one for you. I have tickets to a concert post cruise at the Pacific Colesium . Is there easy transport there by bus/skytrain? Where is a good place to stay near there or transport back to town. Cab fare???

Hotels would include the Atrium. I keep thinking that there is a Holiday Inn and a BW nearby but can't find it on the WWW. There is no SkyTrain nearby so its the #35 bus or about $20/$25 cab fare to and from downtown.

http://www.atriuminn.ca/

As a Vancouverite, you may not know the answer to this, as you're already there. But...

I want to bring a case of wine on board my upcoming cruise departing Vancouver in late June. I'm not (too) concerned about getting the wine aboard the ship. Worst case, I'll pay corkage.

What I'm worried about is whether I'll be socked with duty, VAT, confiscation or other mayhem when I try to clear customs at YVR with a case of wine.

--Marne

Each adult over the age of 19 may bring into BC two .750 litre bottles of wine duty free. Beyond that CBSA may levy duty and taxes which could make the importation of the wine prohibitive. Whether they will do so is at the discretion of the CBSA officer but the safe answer is .... don't bring a case.

Each adult over the age of 19 may bring into BC two .750 litre bottles of wine duty free. Beyond that CBSA may levy duty and taxes which could make the importation of the wine prohibitive. Whether they will do so is at the discretion of the CBSA officer but the safe answer is .... don't bring a case.

That's sad...

-Marne

I have been reading up and wanted some input on my plan. My wife and I embark on Radiance of the Seas in June for a 7 night northbound. We are the only cruise ship at Canada Place that day so thats good news. We arrive in Vancouver on Thursday via Amtrak Cascades from Seattle. This first day, or half day really, I was planning to take the hoho and explore Stanley Park via bike rental (aquarium if bad weather) and maybe a good restaurant, pub, or seafood place near our hotel Blue Horizon for the night. Next morning, embarkation day, ship leaves at 430pm, take the Vancouver foodie tour on Granville island beginning at 10:30. Tour is approximately 2 hours, afterwards, back to hotel to retrieve luggage, and then on to Canada place to hopefully sail right through embarkation process and be on the ship later than most but quicker also. Any suggestions on mode of transportation this day. I am open to cabbing it for all trips if i need to for times sake. Any thoughts or advice on my plans. I feel like we could see so much more in Vancouver but I don't want to over do it after the long cross country flights to Seattle ect..

P.S. Thanks for the time and info you all have put into this wonderful thread and I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions

--Marne

There's a calculation that compares cost, alcohol content, and type of alcohol and applies the appropriate duty rate. As long as you pay, you won't have it confiscated. If you choose NOT to pay though, the forms required for destruction of the goods are longer and more complicated than the ones for paying the duty, as we learned to our cost back in the day!

This online calculator is one of many that figures out your Duty (put in BC as your 'residence'). Ballpark, expect to pay the same as the price of the wine or a little more for anything under US$20.

Personally I find that unless a wine is totally unavailable in Canada, and/or worth US$50+ a bottle, it's poor value to bring any in over your allowance of 2 bottles. Once the cost per bottle goes over about US$20, the % charged plummets making all the booze after the $20 mark much better value than the first $20!

As to whether you can risk exceeding your limits and being just waved in, it's not something I've done for years personally but my boozeaholic buddies consistently find that bringing in up to but no more than double your allowance is more likely to be ignored than not - i.e. if you declare 4 bottles of wine there's a decent chance you will just be waved on.

If you hit 3 times the limit, it seems to be always worth the paperwork so they make you pay (half a case of wine), but for a couple of bottles over it's ignored around 4 or 5 times out of six - enough that even the times they do have to pay makes the overall pricing well worth the risk to them (NB: this is about a dozen people, 3-6 times a year each over the last five years, and does include minorities, US & other citizens with residency of various ages - this doesn't seem to be an issue where there is targeting of any particular group BUT it's hardly a statistically significant sample size!)