What are the best excisions in Juneau for families?

mickeychief@live.com

You may want to also post on the Family Cruising forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Best? There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You need to consider your kids' abilities first -- how long before they get bored or tired, what will happen IF they are bored and/or tired, can they walk the distances needed, or will you carry them -- and then see which excursions might match up with their attention span, need for entertainment, food, naps, etc.

Alternatively, think about taking public transit to the beach at Douglas (easy to do) and let them play in the sand.

Start with your interests. At 3, if you include your children, you'll be very limited in choices. You might need to consider babysitting, which is also spendy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be in Juneau via the Holland America Westerdam. I am looking at excursions and for a family of 4 they seem to be pretty spendy. Which ones are the best and worth the money? Are 2 kids are 3.

Mendenhall Glacier via bus is not spendy. :D

Thanks you runner15km I will look into that.

I am not concerned about babysitters since both grandparents will be on the cruise. I was more curious what family excursions people enjoyed and which ones were worth the money. My kids have cruise before and travel with us all the time so they travel well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those no children on cruise types. It limits you because some tours, like Harv and Marv's whale watching require children to be 13.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My question is - how much does the kids opinion matter in your shore excursion decision?

For example - I have seen toddlers on whale watching trips. Some enjoyed it while others just played with some toys in the boat while the parents whale watched (while watching the kids).

So maybe whale watching (many companies will take kids, not all) and Mendenhall glacier.

I am guessing in Ketchikan you booked the lumberjack show - the kids should love that.

What's worth the money is very subjective. I might think nothing of spending $500 on an excursion you wouldn't even consider going on if they paid you and vice versa. If you give us an idea of the types of things you enjoy doing as a family and favorite excursions that your family has previously done then we'll have a better idea of the types of things to suggest.

My daughter was six years old (I realize there are huge differences between three and six) the first time we went on an Alaska cruise and we went on the train in Skagway--my daughter got a little restless because it's very slow paced, but she loved the stop at Liarsville where we panned for gold. Another option in Skagway would be to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake if your kids travel well in the car. You can visit the sled dogs (I think that's in Carcross) and they have goats there, too.

We did a float trip down the Mendenhall in Juneau which was gentle and we really enjoyed, but there were a couple rapids so I suspect your children would be too young for that.

If you go to your cruise line's website and look at their excursions, they usually have age ranges they're good for. That would give you a good idea of what's available for families.

Maybe something the kids would like. They take you out to the hatchery and fish from the dock. Very easy. The hatchery is right there so you could walk up to see the fish in the big holding pens. There was a seal cruising right at the dock, too. Their dog comes along. Nice family.

http://www.chumfun.com

Edited by Suzanne123

Thanks for the suggestions! I understand it is all subjective. We like experiencing pretty much everything, except long hikes with toddlers. We learned that lesson trying to hike one of the seven wonders of Oregon :) It is not huge to me that the kids thoroughly enjoy themselves but would like something that is geared towards family in general. Some of the tours would be $2k for us to do and I just can't imagine a couple ours in Alaska being worth that. We did a helicopter tour in Hawaii with the 4 of us for $500 and that was worth it to see Kauai. I was just more or less trying to find out what people with families have done in Juneau and what they recommend. I have emailed the Ketchickan Lumberjack show and have that on the list! Thanks again.

Have you looked thru trip reports to find some tried and true activities? There aren't many family reports with children as young as yours, but this one is from alohagirl in 2014 ... travelling with a 2 1/2 and 9 yr old.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076940

In Juneau, rent a car ... drive out to Mendenhall, walk to the falls and spend a couple of hours then drive to the coast. The kids could play on the beach while you look for eagles and whales, visit Shrine of St Therese. Explore Douglass Island.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/juneau_area_map.php

Look at each town's web site. I know the Juneau site has suggested itineraries.

Maybe borrow an Alaska travel book from your library to find some diy activities.

I have been going to Juneau for some 50 years and I honestly can't think of any tour that is going to hold the attention of 2 and 3 year old children for more than a few minutes. As a grandparent I really think that what is important is whatever you do, you are doing it together, the children are not going to have any memory of what they saw or did.

I didn't read everyone else's answers but want to share what we decided. We are on going on Disney wonder with 3 yr old and 17 month old. For Juneau we will do "best of Juneau" with whale watching, salmon bake, and glacier visit. Since we haven't actually gone yet - I can't say how it worked out but based on our situation this is what we think will work best.

Thanks you runner15km I will look into that.

I am not concerned about babysitters since both grandparents will be on the cruise. I was more curious what family excursions people enjoyed and which ones were worth the money. My kids have cruise before and travel with us all the time so they travel well.

If you have 6 people in your group - you can easily charter a boat for whale watching (you can add Mendenhall with that). Even Harv and Marv will book you if you charter the boat (no extra cost considering your size of group, and your kids ages are fine since you are chartering the whole boat).

Regardless, have a great family vacation. I think it is great you are exposing your kids to travel at such a young age. They will be seasoned travels by the ripe age of 5!

Edited by Coral

I didn't read everyone else's answers but want to share what we decided. We are on going on Disney wonder with 3 yr old and 17 month old. For Juneau we will do "best of Juneau" with whale watching, salmon bake, and glacier visit. Since we haven't actually gone yet - I can't say how it worked out but based on our situation this is what we think will work best.

I have been whale watching with young children. Mine were 2, 5, and 8 on their first whale watching trip. The only one remotely interested was the 8 year old, and only because he was obsessed with whales. The 2 year old just wanted to be held, and the 5 year old just wanted to run around and play on the boat. I don't regret doing it, since the oldest enjoyed it so much, but I kind of wish we'd left the little ones in the kids club.

If you do this excursion, be fully prepared to spend all your time tending to your kids with little time for taking photos or really enjoying the experience. Don't expect them to "get it" at all, and they definitely won't remember it when they are older.

I am also on the Disney Wonder this August, and travelling with a 4 year old and a 6 year old. I find with young children, it is easiest NOT to take an organized tour, so that there is flexibility with eating times, bathrooms, change of plans for tantrums/crankiness etc.

We have rented a car through Juneau Car Rental ($65, car seats are free), and we will drive to Mendenhall Glacier and let the kids walk/run around there. We will then drive to the Gold Creek Salmon Bake for lunch. There is an outdoor area so the kids can run around, and there is a campfire with roasting marshmallows. Much easier than a sit-down restaurant. then we will drive to the Macaulay Hatchery to watch the salmon running up the ladder. they have touch tanks there. My kids are interested in fish/sea life so I think they will enjoy that. If we have time after that, we will try to find a playground somewhere in Juneau and let them just play.

I have been whale watching with young children. Mine were 2, 5, and 8 on their first whale watching trip. The only one remotely interested was the 8 year old, and only because he was obsessed with whales. The 2 year old just wanted to be held, and the 5 year old just wanted to run around and play on the boat. I don't regret doing it, since the oldest enjoyed it so much, but I kind of wish we'd left the little ones in the kids club.

If you do this excursion, be fully prepared to spend all your time tending to your kids with little time for taking photos or really enjoying the experience. Don't expect them to "get it" at all, and they definitely won't remember it when they are older.

I think you raise some good points to raise awareness for others who haven't traveled a lot. And it highlights how each family and experience is so different from one another. I think that AAAG's post says something similar. She/he knows what works for them and goes with that. I absolutely know families that probably shouldn't be on that type of boat excursion...

We're pretty sure the 3 year old will love it. She will get what she can at her age. 15 month old is there because he's 15 months old. He just comes along because he's family. We travel a lot together. My daughter was 16 months old when we did 13 day cruise in the Baltics. It was great and we did something in every port. I've never believed that we have to stop traveling because we have kids. It might change what we're able to do but traveling time is family time for us and they will always get something from that and being exposed to different experiences.

My husband and I usually ensure that each other has the time we need to enjoy whatever we're doing - meaning that one of us will take the kids for a bit and then switch. Again- this really depends on different family dynamics - which is so personal. I just want to be with my kids and see what I can during the excursion. I like the point the other poster mentioned about just being together as a family and doing the excursions.

I've never believed that we have to stop traveling because we have kids. It might change what we're able to do but traveling time is family time for us and they will always get something from that and being exposed to different experiences.

I totally agree. I've traveled regularly with my daughter since she was 8 months old; she'll be 21 next month. She's been all over the world and is an excellent traveler. When her father and I divorced several years ago, I began traveling more (he was a bit of a home-body) and always took her with me until about 18 months ago (not I'll do at least one solo vacation a year). She has the perspective of someone who's seen different cultures, and that's something that is important to me. She appreciates the cultural differences in people. I think it's a wonderful gift to give to your children.

The current thread on the first page here about dog cart/sled rides mentions a neat sounding dog-cart experience. A full description with photos is in post number 8. I think you would get to the dog mushers camp by van, and then some kind of all terrain vehicle.

They did this thru their cruise ship.

If you don't see this offered on your sailing, perhaps you can find the vendor and book directly.

I never meant to imply that you shouldn't travel with your kids or take them on excursions, I just wanted to point out the reality of taking such little kids on this particular excursion, since I have experience. We were on the cruise with my in-laws for their 40th wedding anniversary. If we had waited until the kids were "old enough" to enjoy it, it would have been too late, since my FIL passed before they made it to their 50th Anniversary.

BTW, my "2 year old" just turned 17, and confirms that she has absolutely no recollection of that whale watching trip. My "5 year old", now 20, vaguely remembers "being on a boat." ;) The oldest, now 23, has very fond memories of that day, which makes it all worthwhile.

I am also on the Disney Wonder this August, and travelling with a 4 year old and a 6 year old. I find with young children, it is easiest NOT to take an organized tour, so that there is flexibility with eating times, bathrooms, change of plans for tantrums/crankiness etc.

We have rented a car through Juneau Car Rental ($65, car seats are free), and we will drive to Mendenhall Glacier and let the kids walk/run around there. We will then drive to the Gold Creek Salmon Bake for lunch. There is an outdoor area so the kids can run around, and there is a campfire with roasting marshmallows. Much easier than a sit-down restaurant. then we will drive to the Macaulay Hatchery to watch the salmon running up the ladder. they have touch tanks there. My kids are interested in fish/sea life so I think they will enjoy that. If we have time after that, we will try to find a playground somewhere in Juneau and let them just play.

If you go to the fish Hatchery, there is a great playground across the highway at twin lakes. Swings, slides, a pretend boat, and gold train area, plus a huge castle area with slides.

Also the new Alaska Museum (SLAM) which is supposed to open this month - has an area for kids. My boys loved the old state museums kids area we made many trips there during our vacations. The new museum will also have a kids area so it may be a great family excursion - kids can play and adults can look around the museum.