New York or New Jersey

luvsvacations

I am looking at a Bermuda cruise out of either of these locations. The Summit in New Jersey and the Breakaway out of New York. My question is I am driving and totally unfamiliar with either area. Driving from Michigan - is there much difference in either port in regard to the easiest. The thoughts of big city driving - does not thrill me but not sure if I have to get into any of that anyway. Any suggestions?? Thanks

They are close to each other. I would base my decision on the ship. Even in NJ you will be driving in an urban area. I assume you will need a hotel the night before. Parking at the pier in NY is $40 a day, I think $20'a day in NJ.

If you're driving, it's easier to get to NJ and park in NJ than in NYC. Cape Liberty is right off of the Turnpike, so you don't have to hassle with bridges or tunnels. NJ parking at the Cape Liberty is 20 a day. Parking in NYC at the cruise port is 40 a night. With multiple lines going out of NYC, it's also more crowded.

One caveat: there's construction happening on the NJ Turnpike at the Bayonne exit. If you check in with us right before you leave, I will let you know what to expect. They sometimes reroute the exit a bit but Bayonne is linear so it's easy to find the port. GPS gets confused at times because it doesn't know about the temporary closures of certain turns.

I am looking at a Bermuda cruise out of either of these locations. The Summit in New Jersey and the Breakaway out of New York. My question is I am driving and totally unfamiliar with either area. Driving from Michigan - is there much difference in either port in regard to the easiest. The thoughts of big city driving - does not thrill me but not sure if I have to get into any of that anyway. Any suggestions?? Thanks

There is a HUGE difference in the two ships and the vibe of the two ships. So only deciding between NY or NJ should be your last concern. If you go the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel you will be right at 12th avenue and you only have to drive blocks in Manhattan.

Anyways, Are you bringing kids with you? if YES then the Breakaway wins hands down. I'll give you the reasons if you need them.

Thanks -

This is for next May. There will be 4 of us - myself, mom, sister and niece. My sister has always wanted to try a big flashie ship. Myself, I do not really care. I have read the Breakaway feels crowded sometimes - would this apply in May? Thanks

Pick the ship and come back for advice.

For Manhattan you can do a park/cruise at the Hilton Garden in Ridgefield, NJ where you get a hotel room, parking for the cruise and round trip transportation to the port.

There are similar options for Cape Liberty.

Absolutely no need to drive in Manhattan or to Cape Liberty if you don't want to.

Thanks -

This is for next May. There will be 4 of us - myself, mom, sister and niece. My sister has always wanted to try a big flashie ship. Myself, I do not really care. I have read the Breakaway feels crowded sometimes - would this apply in May? Thanks

I haven't sailed the Breakaway myself. I have sailed the Summit. I do know that schools don't let out until mid June here in NY/NJ. So if you book before Memorial Day weekend, it might be crowded but not crowded with little kids, and there won't be four people per cabin even if they can fit in.

The reason I said Breakaway if you have kids is because the pool situation on the Summit is set up for adults. There are three pools, an indoor solarium pool -- no kids allowed (I think 16 is the age they allow); then there are two deck pools. One is deeper -- no kids allowed. And they enforce it. Imagine all the young teens and preteens and little kids all crowded into one ship.

Meantime next door on the Breakaway they have the big awesome slide thing into the pool.

Just my thoughts on choosing - we've sailed the BA twice & will be on her in 3 weeks doing Bermuda this time instead, not everyone is in love with Breakaway's huge size & layout and flow of people, there's plenty of excellent review: won't comment - please do a bit of reading. BA cut short its time on last day in port, sailing at 3 PM instead of 5 PM (Summit sail at 4:30 PM) so many are hanging out in Dockyard - changes in transportation passes with the ferries (best/faster/easier way to get around) & buses being changed this year (yes, it can get very crowded with 2 big ships in town) Dedicated pool for children on BA considered small by many, again and even adult pool is crowded as we've witnessed it (escape is to book & pay extra for Haven's exclusive space, with more $$$ for the suite life w. butler & concierge) As for the water slide, hours are limited as posted, not open at all times & closed while at sea when conditions are not suitable ... but those that've done it wrote that it's not much of a wait.

Bermuda is our favorite getaway port & plenty of do/see as DIY, easy public transport overall & very safe, unless Nassau the "dump" - as for driving, agreed that it's often best to park the car & get into the city via mass transit if you plan to do any sightseeing, and hotel packages in NJ are generally better buy for the money, dollar for dollar. Each driving trip into NYC is $15 for cash toll (collected one-way only coming in & not leaving NY)

Will probably do a shorter photo review of our Bermuda sailing on the BA & not a lengthy one after we get back over Memorial Day weekend on the NCL forum.

Compare the ships based on preference & "must do's" and also prices & see what's better. Happy planning !

We're doing the Breakaway, driving in from Ohio. We decided to do the park, Ride and Cruise deal at Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park NJ. I called and they give vouchers for transportation to and from Manhattan cruise port. Cost is about $315 with tax. But you also get breakfast in the morning. I think it's the Embassy offers the same near the NJ cruise port. I hear Celebrity really caters to adults, and not as kid friendly. My kids are excited for all the fun things the Breakaway offers. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks. A lot to think about. What I like about NCL is casual and a variety of dining. What I like about Celebrity is almost $400 a cabin cheaper and we need two cabins. We are 4 adults so not interested in the kid stuff. I will keep both of those hotels in mind.

Thanks. A lot to think about. What I like about NCL is casual and a variety of dining. What I like about Celebrity is almost $400 a cabin cheaper and we need two cabins. We are 4 adults so not interested in the kid stuff. I will keep both of those hotels in mind.

One more thing. See if any are giving a drink package as an incentive. Last year Celebrity was offering that.

Well things change - now we thinking about the Breakaway. Can you tell me how far in advance you need to book the Hilton. I would think a package like this would book fast. Thanks

This is a relatively new offering. Folks have booked it, but there hasn't been an overwhelming interest. Many folks don't even consider staying in NJ because they don't understand the overall logistics of NJ vs NYC.

I'd call the hotel directly midday during the week to see what they say. The offer is for 2 people, so you need to find out what it would cost for a party of 4.

Breakaway sails on a Sunday, which is the lowest traffic morning of the week. It costs $280 to park at the port. You might want to consider coming in I80 and getting a less expensive hotel in the Parsippany NJ area the night before and just driving to the pier on Sunday morning. This would get you off the road earlier on Sat in a nicer more suburban area about 45 min from the port.

Well things change - now we thinking about the Breakaway. Can you tell me how far in advance you need to book the Hilton. I would think a package like this would book fast. Thanks

While you are still thinking of the BA & haven't booked - I'm sure you've checked & compared, on the slim chance you didn't - with 4 adults, if sharing just 1 "cabin" - the average staterooms are going to feel small & cozy ... compared to the Summit (and, ships on other lines) ... With 2 in a stateroom, even insides are fine, IMO.

We've booked & stayed with Insides & Balcony on the BA since it's just DW & I - going again in 2 weeks. There are tons of reviews, many are recent & some just written up on this year's Bermuda run - this is ours from 2015, just take a look at the linked pictures & skim the details. The day sofa convert to a single bed so 3 is fine in a balcony - 4th person would be on a pullman from the wall/ceiling that drop down. Family Oceanviews are the bigger cabins & comparable to the mini-suites - with more space/room - bathrooms are relatively "big" with very good storage.

I just checked our sailing of 5/22 - still got plenty of cabin availability & last minute pricing just kicking in, we booked it again at dirt cheap discounted pricing so an Upsell will be tempting, LOL.

Thanks - I will look at your review. We will be getting two cabins. I like to book early so we can get connecting - then keep an eye on prices. Sounds like you did great.

138east - how would the driving be to do that ? I am not a city driver - so trying to keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Wouldnt the cost be about the same when you have to pay for parking and a hotel??

Thanks - I will look at your review. We will be getting two cabins. I like to book early so we can get connecting - then keep an eye on prices. Sounds like you did great.

138east - how would the driving be to do that ? I am not a city driver - so trying to keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Wouldnt the cost be about the same when you have to pay for parking and a hotel??

You can drive straight in I80 to the GW Bridge ($11-15 toll). Follow the signs to the upper level and get in the far right hand lane. If you end up on the lower bridge, you get in the far left hand lane. You get off at the very first exit at the end of the bridge and follow the signs to the Henry Hudson Parkway South, which ends right at the Manhattan Cruise terminal. There is virtually no driving on local streets in Manhattan. On a Sunday this should be an easy uncomplicated drive before 11 am.

We have done 2 cruises out of NY with a third coming up in June, all ships left NY Sunday.. We live west of Cleveland, OH and drive. The first one we left Ohio late so we stayed in Hazelton, PA and drove the last two hours Sunday morning arriving around 10am. The second cruise we stayed near the Lincoln Tunnel in North Bergen. For our upcoming cruise we are staying near the Meadowlands and coming in a couple of days early to see the Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.

The first cruise we parked at the port, for the second we used Park Right and are going to use it again for the upcoming cruise. Driving in NYC on a Sunday morning is no problem, we went down to the World Trade Center area down to Battery Park then we drove down Park Ave then over to 5th Ave along Central Park. All with virtually no traffic.

I live in upstate CT and am not a city driver either. Hartford CT fine, Boston if very desperate, but NY is not going to happen!. That said, I will drive to Bayonne without too much anxiety. Hope this helps.