2 questions regarding NOLA

MsMistiS

My fiance and I will be arriving in NOLA on September 14th for our wedding then cruising on the Carnival Dream the 18th. We are staying in the French Quarter and our hotels parking options are very pricey and they do not allow parking for the cruise. We would prefer to just park the car in a single location for the whole trip.

1st question is do you have any suggestions on the best parking for this? We plan to leave our cruise luggage in the car while in town and our wedding items while we are on the cruise so it will need to be a very secure location.

Secondly is there an ideal time to arrive at the port on cruise day? This is only our second cruise so we were not sure if it varies by port.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I can't help with the parking, but Carnival is doing staggered boarding for New Orleans. In other words, unless you have purchased the Faster to fun (FTTF) package, you choose an arrival time when you check in online and print your boarding passes and luggage tags. I recall that the earliest window is 10-10:30. You cannot go earlier than your window, but you can arrive later.

For example, we had 11-11:30 for our cruise in March. We got to the port at 11:30 and were able to walk right in after dropping our luggage with the porter. Folks who had 2pm time we're just waiting around and were not allowed to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't help with the parking, but Carnival is doing staggered boarding for New Orleans. In other words, unless you have purchased the Faster to fun (FTTF) package, you choose an arrival time when you check in online and print your boarding passes and luggage tags. I recall that the earliest window is 10-10:30. You cannot go earlier than your window, but you can arrive later.

For example, we had 11-11:30 for our cruise in March. We got to the port at 11:30 and were able to walk right in after dropping our luggage with the porter. Folks who had 2pm time we're just waiting around and were not allowed to go in.

Thanks for the info! This sounds much better then what we did in Tampa. When you say "go in" is that on to the boat or in to the waiting area before entering the boat?

Thanks for the info! This sounds much better then what we did in Tampa. When you say "go in" is that on to the boat or in to the waiting area before entering the boat?

I had a noon check-in on my last cruise. I walked into the port. Upstairs and past the picture taking people with no line. There was a 5 min wait at security. Once through there I went directly to the check-in counter and I was on the ship within 5 minutes. That whole process took at least an hour on my previous cruises from the same port. staggered check-in was great!

Edited by Saint Greg

I mean go into the terminal building. We arrived at the port at 11:30, and were on lido by 12:30 (there were 5 of us to check in, so it took a few minutes per person and there was a line that moved very well).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
My fiance and I will be arriving in NOLA on September 14th for our wedding then cruising on the Carnival Dream the 18th. We are staying in the French Quarter and our hotels parking options are very pricey and they do not allow parking for the cruise. We would prefer to just park the car in a single location for the whole trip.

1st question is do you have any suggestions on the best parking for this? We plan to leave our cruise luggage in the car while in town and our wedding items while we are on the cruise so it will need to be a very secure location.

Secondly is there an ideal time to arrive at the port on cruise day? This is only our second cruise so we were not sure if it varies by port.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Congrats on your wedding! We cruised from NOLA a couple of years ago and there is a parking garage at the port. I believe one of the street car routes goes right by it. http://www.portno.com/parking

"Parking for Julia St. Cruise Terminal

• Once entering Port of New Orleans Place, proceed past the Erato Street Terminal to Julia Street.
  • You will be directed to the Julia St Terminal drop-off area where SeaCaps will assist you with your luggage.
  • You will then be directed to the parking lot located next to the cruise terminal.
  • Parking costs $18 per day. The parking lot is a within a block of the terminal, but shuttle service is provided if needed. Parking lot is secured, lighted and patrolled. "

We parked at the Fulton Street Garage last year, only a few blocks away, and it was just over $80 for the Sunday to Sunday cruise. It is a covered parking deck, and they have a shuttle service that drops you off and picks you up (and your luggage) right at the port. You should be able to park there the entire cruise and extra days, but I do not know that for sure. It was pretty quick in and out and we were pleased, especially not having to fight the traffic right there at the port.

Congratulations on your wedding and I know you will have a great honeymoon!! :)