Kushiro - what to do?

sansterre

For nature lovers, taking excursions to the Crane Nature Park, the Marshland or Lake Akan would work. We just stayed and explored the city on our own which was easy to do. A visit to Washo Market would satisfy your taste buds if you are seafood lovers. Some photos here.

Yesterday I was in the middle of drafting a response to sansterre's post when we had an electrical outage. Today when I logged on to continue, I was pleased to see ROCruiser's response and photos.

We were on the same cruise and and did much the same thing - even saw the same rowers and local ladies in kimonos, assisting passengers to dress up in kimonos and traditional Japanese clothes at the 'Egg' Pavillion. They also conducted a free Tea Ceremony for tourists.

So if you don't want to do the 'nature' thing, just wander around the streets for a few hours.

Thank you ROCruiser for sharing very similar memories of Kushiro.

Yesterday I was in the middle of drafting a response to sansterre's post when we had an electrical outage. Today when I logged on to continue, I was pleased to see ROCruiser's response and photos.

We were on the same cruise and and did much the same thing - even saw the same rowers and local ladies in kimonos, assisting passengers to dress up in kimonos and traditional Japanese clothes at the 'Egg' Pavillion. They also conducted a free Tea Ceremony for tourists.

So if you don't want to do the 'nature' thing, just wander around the streets for a few hours.

Thank you ROCruiser for sharing very similar memories of Kushiro.

My pleasure! It's fun posting and sharing travel information. Wasn't that an amazing cruise?! I actually wanted to do another Japan cruise this year but DH rejected the idea. :oI would go back in a heart beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much. I enjoyed your blog and photos and I hope the shuttle will transport us into town too. Was the market and costume area far away from the shuttle? I can walk a few blocks, but not able to do long distances very well. So I'm wondering if we would need a taxi to see much and if so, would we get the taxi at the ship or after the shuttle brings us to town.

Thanks so much. I enjoyed your blog and photos and I hope the shuttle will transport us into town too. Was the market and costume area far away from the shuttle? I can walk a few blocks, but not able to do long distances very well. So I'm wondering if we would need a taxi to see much and if so, would we get the taxi at the ship or after the shuttle brings us to town.

You are most welcome and thank you for reading. The shuttle will drop you off right at the door of the MOO market and the costume area. You just need to go inside the building. The bridge is just right next to MOO so you shouldn't have a problem walking across. If you plan to taking a taxi around in town, I'd say take it after you get off the shuttle since that's right in town. There is nothing much around the port area. We only walked as far as the train station and Washo Market and then back to MOO. Then picked up the shuttle back to the ship.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you ROCruiser & Sansterre. We're on the Diamond Princess in Sept (& can't wait), so this has helped us also. We usually like to do our own thing (except in the Russian port) so it was good to hear you were able to do this quite easily.

Thank you ROCruiser & Sansterre. We're on the Diamond Princess in Sept (& can't wait), so this has helped us also. We usually like to do our own thing (except in the Russian port) so it was good to hear you were able to do this quite easily.

You are welcome! Have a wonderful trip!:)