Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I am in the same situation now planning the cash for our Reflection cruise.

some cash for toilets (sometimes there is a charge of NOK 5 or 10), coffee, tips, lunch. I like to pay in cash for those.

You can charge 95% of your purchases on your card. But, will you not get a transaction fee/exchange fee for every time you use it?

What we do when we travel (on our upcoming cruise) is to take cash. We calculate to use Euro 50 or Euro 100 per port. In some ports we spend less and in some more.

We never get souvenirs or anything like that. We are not into shopping that much when we are travelling.

We will spend money on coffees, lunches, private tours, transfer etc..all in cash.

Its funny really; when we travel we use cash at home I cant remember the last time I had cash in the wallet as we always use cards.

There are several American credit cards with no foreign transaction fees - and there are even a few that are chip and optional pin to use in Europe.

For anyone visiting Geiranger, we did the bus ride up to Mt. Dalsnibba yesterday and it was absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it, even better than the Flam Railway which we did today, and which is great too.

Can you please tell me how to take the bus ride to Mt. Dasnibba? The CitySightseeing bus or the local bus?

I believe the local bus does not go all the way there because the last bit is on a private road but we got tickets at the dock from the tourist info centre.

Can you please tell me how to take the bus ride to Mt. Dasnibba? The CitySightseeing bus or the local bus?

As mentioned in previous post the local bus does not go all the way up.

The sightseeing bus does go all the way up to the mountain plateau.

You can book the r/t tour online.

There are so many pages in this thread and I have read lots of them. Very useful. How did I find the link to the bus tours in Geiranger, especially the bus ride up to Mt. Dalsnibba? Do you need to get tickets in advance?

Edited by sheept

There are so many pages in this thread and I have read lots of them. Very useful. How did I find the link to the bus tours in Geiranger, especially the bus ride up to Mt. Dalsnibba? Do you need to get tickets in advance?

This has become a huge thread hasn't it:D

Here is the link:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-tour-to-mt-dalsnibba

I would suggest to get tickets online as some departures/dates are sold out already.

Yes, a lot of the tours are sold out. However, if we were to do one of the many hikes in Geiranger, would we be able to see any of the Fjords? Is a bus or boat trip the only way?

Yes, a lot of the tours are sold out. However, if we were to do one of the many hikes in Geiranger, would we be able to see any of the Fjords? Is a bus or boat trip the only way?

No, you can do it by helicopter too:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/helikopter-sightseeing-2

But on almost all the hikes you will be able to see the fjord.

I don't know, found maps online. If you have a suggestion, that would be nice.

Usually I never really suggest hikes due to the fact that most people visiting are not known in the area.

As beautiful as the scenery is as dangerous it can be....

One of the safest hikes and with a stunning view is the hike from the farm of Westerås to either Storseterfossen (approx 45-60 minutes one way from the farm of Westerås) or to Løsta for the perfect views. (approx. 10 minute walk on a dirt track. Then uphill to Løsta.

Who did you book this hike through? I guess there are advantages to a guided hike though I never been on one.

Hiking Westeras is one of the excursions run by P&O, who we are sailing with, 3 1/2 hours, 12:30 to 16:00, high activity. Runs from the Geirangerfjord stop. I am also thinking of doing another trip they are running, Mount Dalsnibba, as that goes 08:30 to 11:30. As they are both run by P&O there would be no worries of missing the ship. :)

I'm posting a weather forecast for our particular cruise which goes this coming Saturday later this evening.

Keith (Southend)

I'm taking the Norse Legends cruise with stops in Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen. I'd really like to do kayaking at one of those stops so I'm wondering which location would be best for kayaking. It seems like Geiranger but the problem is I'd really like to do the Dalsnibba lookout as well. I don't think theres enough time to do both. How is the kayaking in Alesund and Eidfjord in comparison?

I'm taking the Norse Legends cruise with stops in Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, and Bergen. I'd really like to do kayaking at one of those stops so I'm wondering which location would be best for kayaking. It seems like Geiranger but the problem is I'd really like to do the Dalsnibba lookout as well. I don't think theres enough time to do both. How is the kayaking in Alesund and Eidfjord in comparison?

The kayaking in Eidsfjord is far more spectacular because of the nature.

Ålesund is Stunning but not by kayak imo.

Thank you, I-Cruiser, for your wonderful thread and information. We just returned last last from our Norway cruise and want to thank you for saving your fabulous weather for us!! I will be writing a review in a few days. Truly loved your beautiful Alesund!! pat

The kayaking in Eidsfjord is far more spectacular because of the nature.

Ålesund is Stunning but not by kayak imo.

Thanks, I guess if so I miss out on Voringfossen. Hopefully the waterfalls in the other locations are just as stunning.

Hi,

I'm wondering how accurate the weather forecasts are. We're due to be in Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen from 15-17 June and the weather forecast seems to be sunny and hot all the way. We'll be headed up Mount Dalsnibba as well, and using e-bikes around Geiranger. Any advice of what clothes we would need?

Oh my I'm just seeing this!!! I want!!!! I got a feeling I'm going to be shipping one home as won't have room for the size I want. lol. 10 more days and we leave!! This is in reference to the photo of the troll you posted!!

Linda

Edited by linderbelle