Full day to spend... Hamptons or Jersey Shore?

Tammyd549

Tried searching but couldn't find a similar question. We are sailing out of Manhatten aug 14th on the Breakaway and will be flying into NY on Friday evening (can fly into JFK or Newark) planning to rent a car and drive to either the Hamptons or Jersey Shore to spend Saturday at the beach.

Never been to NY, travelling with my 19 yr old daughter. Moderate hotel budget 2-300/night. Was hoping to return car to airport Saturday evening and stay at a hotel airport for easy commute to cruise terminal Sunday but open to other suggestions.

tia!

You'll be hard-pressed to get a good hotel near the water at that rate in either location. Hotels near the airports can go either way depending upon demand. Many of the Jersey shore towns have summer rentals and not a lot of hotels. They have older motels built in the 50s, and they rent for a premium in the summer. Back to school in this area is after Labor Day so rates are still high.

The Jersey shore, depending upon the town, will have more kid and teen things to do. Many towns have a boardwalk. Some have amusement parks, like Keansburg, Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights. Beaches charge a beach fee daily, weekly or seasonally. It's different for every town. Figure about 10 a person.

Edited by baileymouse

Sorry to answer a question with other questions, but does it have to be only those two choices? Are you just looking for a beach? Driving to the Hamptons on a Friday night or Saturday morning will take forever. I'm not sure what the public beach access is like there, but at least there are villages to visit. Another option, if you're just looking for an ocean beach, would be to check out Jones Beach or Robert Moses State Parks. They will both be crowded on a Saturday (unless it rains ;)) but they're both easy drives, all on parkways (don't rent a truck). You'll have concession stands, but that's about it.

Another option out of JFK is to just take the short train ride to Long Beach, walk a couple of blocks, and you're on the beach. I guess luggage would be a problem with that idea, though.

For any of these options, you're going to need to find a place to stay. I have a feeling New Jersey will have more/better options. I don't really know the Jersey Shore, so I'll leave that to someone else, but as baileymouse mentioned, the Jersey Shore seems to have more towns and villages. That may be something to consider in case of bad weather.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I would choose flying into EWR and going to the Jersey Shore simply because you don't want to stay at a JFK area hotel. Many of the hotels there...even those with nationaly-known brand names, have contracts with NY City to provide housing for the temporarily homeless. As a result the hotels can be noisey, with children wandering through the hallways. While the EWR area is hardly a vacation paradise, you won't have situations similar to those at JFK area hotels.

Also, the Jersey Shore is extremely popular with your daughter's age group, so she will likely feel very comfortable there.

It's very easy to get from EWR to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. You can take the airport express bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, which is about a mile from the cruise terminal. It's a short taxi ride, or if you can handle your luggage you can even walk from the bus terminal. Alternatively you can take a New Jersey Transit train from the Newark Airport station to New York Penn Station and then take a taxi to the cruise terminal, which is about 1 1/2 miles away.

Edited by njhorseman

Rent a car at JFK stay at a hotel in Rockville Centre, Long Island. It is 15 minutes to Long Beach, NY. It is 15 minutes from JFK. There are restaurants, shops in Long Beach, plus a boardwalk.

Edited by Got2Cruise

Rent a car at JFK stay at a hotel in Rockville Centre, Long Island. It is 15 minutes to Long Beach, NY. It is 15 minutes from JFK. There are restaurants, shops in Long Beach, plus a boardwalk.

Having lived on Long Island for many years, I also concur with your recommendation.

Keith

If you want a NJ shore experience, fly into Newark, rent a car, drive an hour south to Point Pleasant, where they s boardwalk with games and rides, drive back to the airport and return your car, stay at a hotel, and head into the city the next morning.

Friday rush hour traffic is bad, as is shore traffic, so you want to head out early.

Just want to add, have you priced a one day car rental from either JFK or EWR? Astronomical compared to other places. Also I'm not sure why your daughter wants a beach when she's leaving for Bermuda the next day. Anyways maybe use the money from the rental car and instead get a room in Manhattan and hang out at Central Park or some other New York thing.

Also I'm not sure why your daughter wants a beach when she's leaving for Bermuda the next day. Anyways maybe use the money from the rental car and instead get a room in Manhattan and hang out at Central Park or some other New York thing.

Excellent points, especially since the OP says she's never been to NY. Why deal with crazy summer weekend beach traffic (or beach craziness, even if you don't drive there) -- why not spend the day seeing some of the highlights of NY?

I live in Brooklyn without a car. We use the Long Island Rail Road's "Deals & Getaways" for discounted Railroad transportation and the Long Beach beach fee. It is a short walk from the Long Beach Station (terminal of the branch). LIRR does have packages to Jones Beach and other beaches

The website has yet to get post this year's offerings.

Just another option...

http://web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/

Having lived on Long Island for many years, I also concur with your recommendation.

Keith

If you stay at a hotel near JFK (do not believe all the urban myths about them all being welfare recipient drug dens) you could easily get to either Long Beach, or, better still, go a bit further to Jones Beach or Robert Moses State Park for really fine, uncrowded, easy access ocean beaches. The Hamptons means a long drive - and beaches on the Jersey Shore are generally pretty crowded or restricted access to residents.

If you stay at a hotel near JFK (do not believe all the urban myths about them all being welfare recipient drug dens) you could easily get to either Long Beach, or, better still, go a bit further to Jones Beach or Robert Moses State Park for really fine, uncrowded, easy access ocean beaches. The Hamptons means a long drive - and beaches on the Jersey Shore are generally pretty crowded or restricted access to residents.

The emergency housing thing is not an urban myth. Nobody is saying its a drug den. Some of us have jobs that allow us to know information perhaps the general public does not have privy to. Nuff said.

It's not an urban myth about the hotels near JFK, and that was recently confirmed by one of our posters, who, if I recall correctly said her husband was a law enforcement officer who confirmed it from first hand experience. Edit...I see that the person I was referring to is Got2Cruise.

You're incorrect about access to many beaches in NJ being restricted to residents. While many municipalities charge a fee for beach access, and that fee may be waived or greatly reduced for residents of the municipality, access to beaches for everyone including non-residents is not only generally permitted, it's mandated under what is known as the public trust doctrine, which says that waterfront property is held in common trust for the public. While the precise interpretation of that doctrine has varied depending on who is in power in Trenton and the latest court ruling, the basic premise is that the public does have rights to access beaches.

Edited by njhorseman

It's not an urban myth about the hotels near JFK, and that was recently confirmed by one of our posters, who, if I recall correctly said her husband was a law enforcement officer who confirmed it from first hand experience. Edit...I see that the person I was referring to is Got2Cruise.

You're incorrect about access to many beaches in NJ being restricted to residents. While many municipalities charge a fee for beach access, and that fee may be waived or greatly reduced for residents of the municipality, access to beaches for everyone including non-residents is not only generally permitted, it's mandated under what is known as the public trust doctrine, which says that waterfront property is held in common trust for the public. While the precise interpretation of that doctrine has varied depending on who is in power in Trenton and the latest court ruling, the basic premise is that the public does have rights to access beaches.

I will repeat: do not believe the urban myth about them ALL being welfare shelters - yes, SOME are, but not ALL. In any event how far from JFK are you talking about ? The Rockville Center suggestion from a poster is near JFK - or are you writing off all of Long Island? While access to New Jersey municipal beaches is possible, access fees and parking is often prohibitively expensive for non-residents.

I will repeat: do not believe the urban myth about them ALL being welfare shelters - yes, SOME are, but not ALL. In any event how far from JFK are you talking about ? The Rockville Center suggestion from a poster is near JFK - or are you writing off all of Long Island? While access to New Jersey municipal beaches is possible, access fees and parking is often prohibitively expensive for non-residents.

I'm talking about JFK airport hotels, which are used by the city for homeless housing and are found within a short distance of the airport. Rockville Center is in Nassau County, about 10 miles from JFK, not in NY City. I guess you didn't notice that the person who recommended staying in Rockville Center, Got2Cruise, is the same person who confirmed the problem with the JFK airport hotels.

Access fees and expensive parking is not what you said...you said "restricted access to residents". I'm the one who addressed the access fees, so thanks for admitting you're wrong and confirming what I said. :rolleyes:

Edited by njhorseman

I would choose flying into EWR and going to the Jersey Shore simply because you don't want to stay at a JFK area hotel. Many of the hotels there...even those with nationaly-known brand names, have contracts with NY City to provide housing for the temporarily homeless. As a result the hotels can be noisey, with children wandering through the hallways. While the EWR area is hardly a vacation paradise, you won't have situations similar to those at JFK area hotels.

Also, the Jersey Shore is extremely popular with your daughter's age group, so she will likely feel very comfortable there.

Given your user name I can understand your being a cheerleader for EWR - whose motels, I suppose, are only frequented by the gentry. Still, not all JFK motels - yes some, possibly even many -but not all are homeless housing sites.

But to address OP's question, why stay near EWR , which is an hour or more away from Jersey Shore's beaches while Long Beach, Jones Beach and Robert Moses are all well under an hour from JFK - and where access is easy and inexpensive?

Given the evening arrival time of OP into JFK or EWR - and, with summertime weekend traffic heading out to LI or Jersey (don't forget to add EZ-Pass expenses - it is the fastest way to get around @ various tolled roads, even if not driving into NYC) - not necessary a wise move or good use of vacation dollars, as an extension to the Bermuda cruise on the BA. Quite possibly looking at Comfort Inns & alike for that moderate motel budget - with a 2 nights minimum (although, it's back-to-college for some by mid-August.)

Driving a rental car in & around NYC is not fun or relaxing, especially for those unfamiliar with the roads - use mass transit to get around or leave the driving to the pro's (car service, taxi & bus drivers, etc.)

Going somewhat OT, on JFK - given the current state of homeless policies in NYC and the city's mayoral administration, suffice to say, most of the airports near JFK airport will NOT be on my recommended list for out-of-town tourists and friends on our list - aside from the "convenience" of the free AirTrain from terminals to Jamaica & Howard Beach for transit connections, and Federal Circles for hotel & rental car shuttles. It's in the middle of nowhere, unless you know exactly what you are getting into & where it is situated, overlooking the service road off the Belt Parkway.

Virtually all of the major international brand hotels @JFK & its immediate vicinity have had problems over the years, and NOT just with long-term and transitional ("short-term") homeless families staying there, under contracts to NYC-DSS. There are no 7-11's nearby nor decent choice of dining, and, on-site parking at the hotels are extra fees.

Here's a story on the Hampton Inns @ JFK - daughter & mom visiting NYC, victims of armed robbery & mom almost lost her life, 2 career criminals arrested with trial pending http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2016/5/hamptonupdate_2016_01_29_q.html

This same Hampton Inn was the scene of a DEA shooting - http://nypost.com/2015/11/03/dea-agents-gun-fires-in-hotel-parking-lot-during-struggle-with-drug-suspect/

Two of our nephews work at JFK - their airlines would put stranded travelers NOT at JFK, but shuttle them further away - sometimes at the Holiday Inn in Lawrence, about 5 miles away from the airport in Nassau County. Airline crews flying long haul stay in downtown Flushing - more than 10 miles away (closer to LGA) - during their layover, for similar reasons.

My thoughts for OP, given your budget - might be able to book a downtown Wall Street/financial district or Jersey City 4 stars for that price (or, spend a little more) with an indoor pool & fitness center - save money on car rental, parking & tolls, and relax for 36 hours ?? with an evening arrival, and enjoy the city - where mass transit can get you around easily, for landmarks & attractions that aren't in easy walking distance - as lower Manhattan's hotel rates tend to be lower in August. Plus, there are beaches here in NYC - Coney Island - a subway ride away ;)

Given your user name I can understand your being a cheerleader for EWR - whose motels, I suppose, are only frequented by the gentry. Still, not all JFK motels - yes some, possibly even many -but not all are homeless housing sites.

But to address OP's question, why stay near EWR , which is an hour or more away from Jersey Shore's beaches while Long Beach, Jones Beach and Robert Moses are all well under an hour from JFK - and where access is easy and inexpensive?

If you actually read and understood the OP's question, you would have seen that it specifically asked about flying into JFK or EWR and going to the Hamptons or the Jersey Shore.

That is exactly the question I was addressing in the post you quoted. The Hamptons is further from JFK than the the Jersey Shore is from EWR.

Also if you actually read and understood my post, you would have noted that in addition to my warning about JFK hotels I said " the EWR area is hardly a vacation paradise".

Do you have any other childish remarks to make about my user name?

Hi Tammyd549,

As it's your first time in New York City have you considered staying in town for a couple of days and seeing the sights?

Heading out to the Hamptons on a Summer Friday the traffic will be terrible. Plus once you get out there, getting around will be insane. I lived in Sag Harbor for ten years and by August everyone and his brother is out there, just driving between towns can take an hour.

There are some reasonable hotels in New York City.

Pod51 for example, a well-reviewed budget hotel in midtown, has rates from $165 to $203 per night during your time-frame.

http://www.thepodhotel.com/

The Viceroy Central Park Hotel has terrific rates during your dates, $239 a night, great location; steps from Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park, on 57th street between Fifth and Sixth Avenue, great reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/newyork?_ga=1.69922709.404336410.1461643783

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d4232686-Reviews-Viceroy_Central_Park_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

The summer is a great time to visit New York, it's not too busy because everyone is out at the beach. There is plenty to do that doesn't cost a fortune, you can visit Rockefeller Center, stroll down Fifth Avenue, walk through Central Park, go to the zoo, hop on the carousel, check out the High Line, go to Times Square. Maybe catch an Off-Broadway play with half-price tickets from TKTS in Times Square, walk around the village, have a slice of New York pizza.

You'll have three days at the Beach in Bermuda, why not spend a couple exploring one of the most exciting places in the world, New York City.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

OP, if you are looking for a beach, and not a boardwalk, this is about a 45 minute drive from Newark airport. This is our go-to beach, so easy to get to (get off parkway, drive straight until you enter the parking lot). Great concession stand, clean restrooms/changing facilities, lots of families.

https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?ID=2535

• 1 month later...
Tried searching but couldn't find a similar question. We are sailing out of Manhatten aug 14th on the Breakaway and will be flying into NY on Friday evening (can fly into JFK or Newark) planning to rent a car and drive to either the Hamptons or Jersey Shore to spend Saturday at the beach.

Never been to NY, travelling with my 19 yr old daughter. Moderate hotel budget 2-300/night. Was hoping to return car to airport Saturday evening and stay at a hotel airport for easy commute to cruise terminal Sunday but open to other suggestions.

tia!

If you really want a beach before going to the beach in Bermuda ....

Fly into JFK and get the rental car and get a hotel in Nassau county then just go to jones beach the next day. The hamptons are too far and you will be sitting in traffic

You won't regret going to jones beach but get there early like 9 am and go to beach 6

Forget the jersey shore it's also too far

IMHO better choice....fly to whatever airport you choose the get a cab or driver into NYC and grab a hotel in Times Square...

Saturday explore the city

Sunday either grab a cab or walk to the port from hotel

Upon return just grab a cab to your airport if it's JFK or arrange car service if it's ewr

Edited by luvtheships

Yes this is actually your best bet

I too am a former Long Islander, grew up there, spent many weekends on the beaches from Coney Island out to Westhampton Beach. Flying into JFK I would consider Jones Beach or Robert Moses. Both are a short drive from Kennedy. Jones Beach is about a 45 minute drive barring any traffic problem which can occur at anytime on the Belt and Southern State Pkwys. Robert Moses is not much different from Jones Beach but a little further out on the same streach of land. About an hour and 15 minute drive. The Hamptons are about a 2 and a half hour drive or more depending on where in the Hamptons you want to go. On a warm sunny weekend as mentioned the traffic will become a nightmare as you go further east into Suffolk County.

I agree with some of the others who have recommended that you stay in NYC for the day. There is so much to do in the city and you wouldn't have to rent a car. Traffic getting to the various beaches in Jersey and LI would be a nightmare on a Saturday, as that is the day most people check-in/check-out. It took me over 5 hours once to get to Ocean City, NJ on the Garden State Parkway from NJ Turnpike, when it should have only taken less than 2 hours. Maybe that could be saved for the next mother/daughter trip. Besides, after seeing the beautiful beaches in Bermuda, you won't miss seeing the Jersey Shore.

Edited by phillygirl63