BEST Shore Excursions...Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria...GO!

kclschroeder

I just want to hear about the BEST shore excursions you've done in any of the above places.

What was your favorite and why?

Did you go through the ship or did you go with an outside tour?

Or were you incredibly adventurous and went our on your own?

Anything you'd do differently/wish you had done?

Any words of wisdom or advice for Alaskan newbies?

Also, what to wear in Alaska in August?! I've heard lots of layers!

I just want to hear about the BEST shore excursions you've done in any of the above places.

What was your favorite and why?

Did you go through the ship or did you go with an outside tour?

Or were you incredibly adventurous and went our on your own?

Anything you'd do differently/wish you had done?

Any words of wisdom or advice for Alaskan newbies?

Also, what to wear in Alaska in August?! I've heard lots of layers!

Disclaimer: we're photographers (as a hobby) and my wife loves whales, so there are definitely two influences going on.

Juneau: Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari by Gastineau Guiding. We've always booked this through the cruise line, and all reports suggest that if they deal with your cruise line, you must book through the cruise line. We've done it three times and will do it again.

Skagway: "Haines Photography Tour" booked independent from Rainbow Glacier Adventures. They handled our Skagway-Haines ferry (both ways), and gave us a phenomenal tour with very well planned photo stops with great instruction. They have a similar tour for Skagway if you'd prefer to stay there, and also operate the "Skagway In Focus Photography Tour" offered through Princess (and possibly other lines).

Ketchikan: No one definitive answer here...lots of very good stuff (Misty Fjords by boat, by boat/plane, by plane; Neets Bay Bear Watch by plane, Custom tour with Wild Wolf Tours) but nothing that I'd jump up/down to do above exploring other options. We've avoided the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour (with a boat previously featured on Deadliest Catch) thinking it was too "spectator-y", but after hearing the captain speak aboard one of our cruises last year, this is almost definitely the tour we'll do next in KTN.

Victoria: I'm glad you said August...we did an evening whale watch (twice, once in July, once in August), and I'd recommend against it in August unless you KNOW you'll have full sun clean through. We had diminishing light in July, and it was tough to see and tougher to photograph. We had diminished to "no" light in August, and even with mighty fine equipment, pictures were yuck to non-existent. Don't know what else to recommend here.

You need to do a little research to determine the best excursions for YOUR interests and priorities. You also need to consider your budget and physical ability. No point in my suggesting fishing if it doesn't interest you, or a glacier trek if you're not physically able.

Look over the ships excursion list; there are hundreds of choices. If you would prefer to use a private vendor, just indicate which excursions are of interest and people will offer suggestions for an independent.

You are only visiting 4 ports so there's not a lot of research to do. Look at cruiseport insider. http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/portlist.html

Each town has a web page to support tourism and local vendors.

ie http://www.skagway.com or http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

There are MANY trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page. Many are photojournals with detailed info on excursions, vendors and activities. Look for a report that your ship or your itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2229940

Have fun with your research and planning !

Mapleleaves gives good advice. Look over available tours, pick which ones interest you then ask if anyone recommends them. It is easier for all that way. Between my DW and I we sometimes can not agree with what we want to do.