Blue Hole & Dunn River Falls for non swimmers?

jamzmama4

We just did Blue Hole last week. I wouldn't recommend it for non swimmers. My nephew, 9, wore a life jacket but the jumps were too scary for him and he just waded in the water a bit. Unfortunately it was VERY crowed the day we were there and we didn't really enjoy the activity because of the long line ups, and rushed atmosphere.

Can you just go there to look without getting in the water? I have teenagers too and they may enjoy it.

You might all enjoy Dunn's River Falls more. It is climbing all the way but not a problem for non swimmers. My teens loved it!!!

We hired a private guide to take us there. He climbed the falls with us and acted as our photographer.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from our cruise and we ended up going to both the Blue Hole and Dunns River Falls. As a non swimmer, I enjoyed Dunns River Falls more than the Blue Hole. We were very fortunate to have very good guides at both places. They really do help you A LOT! We had David Price and Roger for Dunns River Falls. They were both great! The climb of the falls were tricky. There were a lot of rocks that were slippery but since we were all holding on to each other and helping each other it wasn't too bad. We didn't need life jackets for Dunns River falls as the water wasn't really too deep. It was an achievement getting to the top of the falls.

For the Blue Hole, we were given life jackets. This excursion is more for an adventurous person. The water was definitely deep but you weren't forced to do all the jumps at all. I personally wouldn't do this again but my older girls liked it. My husband and one of my teenagers even did the 20 ft cliff jump and had a blast. Me and my 9 year old only did the little cliff jumps. I think it is still worth trying it at least once in your life.

Lots of talk about climbing to Dunn River Falls. Can someone clarify, is the climbing for those who want to get to the top of falls or just to get to the general area where the falls are? Wondering if this excursion would work for those who have limited mobility (no wheelchair but elderly and not agile) and just want to enjoy the scenery at the falls.

Edited by YumYumSweetiePie

Is there alot of climbing at the blue hole?

Not really. You have to climb up for one of the jumps (not much of a climb at all) and you have to climb a ladder at the end to get out. You also have to climb out of the water onto land as you progress along.

Compared to Dunn River Falls the climbing is very little.

Can you wear swim shoes for Dunn's River, to perhaps help with the slippery rock surfaces? As well as for the Blue Hole?

Yes, in fact it is almost a requirement. They may not force you but I definitely would not want to do either barefoot and I live in the South. LOL

Personally I think the ideal shoes would be ones that have closed toes on the front like the Keen Newport H2 water sandals (or similar Teva and other brand).

Although, I did both in those $10 throwaway water shoes I bought onsite.

Edited by NightOne

Lots of talk about climbing to Dunn River Falls. Can someone clarify, is the climbing for those who want to get to the top of falls or just to get to the general area where the falls are? Wondering if this excursion would work for those who have limited mobility (no wheelchair but elderly and not agile) and just want to enjoy the scenery at the falls.

The climbing is for the people that are going from the bottom to the top of the falls. There is a viewing platform along the way for people that want to watch.