Spencer Ambrose Beach Break

Bringonthesun01

Has anyone done this tour and could give me a little review. We will be in St. Lucia for our second time, and we have already done Cosol-Tours the last time. Let me just say, I HIGHLY recommend Cosol tours. Unfortunately, they do not have a beach break tour, just the island tour. So any reviews of Spencer Ambrose's would be great! Thanks.

Has anyone done this tour and could give me a little review. We will be in St. Lucia for our second time, and we have already done Cosol-Tours the last time. Let me just say, I HIGHLY recommend Cosol tours. Unfortunately, they do not have a beach break tour, just the island tour. So any reviews of Spencer Ambrose's would be great! Thanks.

We did the beach break with Spencer Ambrose on our Carnival Valor cruise in May 2013 and highly recommend it. We also had the option of booking through the ship, but that beach break would only allow 1 1/2 hours at the beach, which we knew would not be enough time for us. We had seen pictures of the beach (just gorgeous), so we wanted time to get pictures, to snorkel (some of the best snorkeling we've seen), and just to enjoy the beach and an hour and a half time on the excursion through the cruise line just seemed to rushed. We're on vacation and don't want to be rushed. We knew that the beach break with Spencer would allow a lot more time to enjoy the beach and from other reviews I read, he was also very reliable in getting tours back to the ship with plenty of time, and Spencer's prices are very reasonable with all that is included, so we booked with Spencer instead of through Carnival. We were very happy with our experience, so happy that we booked another tour with Spencer (land/sea/beach) on our most recent cruise on Carnival Liberty last September.

What we really liked: Speedboat transportation directly to and from the beach; we were the first group there & had first picks of the free loungers; we had about five hours at the beach, so plenty of time to get pictures, snorkel, and just relax and take in the beauty of our surroundings; a buffet stye, home cooked lunch was included (very good); unlimited beverages (water, coke, diet coke, Piton beer, rum punch) were also provided; there were vendors at the beach, but they don't bother you...if you are interested you go to them and they were very nice and not pushy; the trip back to the ship included the "Sea Tour", with several stops along the way for explanation and great photo ops; back in plenty of time so we were able to browse the shops at the cruise center before getting back on the ship. Spencer and those who work for him (including his daughter, Shequana) are all very professional, very nice, and the communication before hand was very good.

I did a review of that cruise that includes plenty of pictures. I'll attach a link to the thread and I'm hoping it will go directly to the page that the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break starts on (if not, the section on Spencer's Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break starts on page 10 and goes through page 12). It includes a detailed description of our tour and pictures, including snorkeling pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645&page=10

We enjoyed the Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break so much that we booked the Land, Sea, and Beach Tour through Spencer on our most recent cruise on Carnival Liberty in September 2015. For that tour, we had about two and a half hours at Jalousie (Sugar) Beach. I'll copy and past the link to that section since I got a lot of pictures and my snorkeling pictures this time came out much better. We had the same lunch we did the first time, but this time I remembered to get a picture (I took a little of everything just like I did the first time). Again, copying link to hopefully open on the section that includes the Jalousie/Sugar Beach pictures (starts on page 21, post #413).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&highlight=liberty&page=21

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thanks so much for the detailed review!!! We were there in January of 2014, and loved the beach but it was on the Cosol tour group. We did the equivalent to Spencer's land, sea and beach tour, and absolutely loved it. I did not know there were beach loungers available, so that is great news, I was planning on bringing a beach blanket. The food looked amazing, from what we saw back then. We are excited to just relax on St Lucia this year!!

We did Herod's Land and Sea Tour back in '09 and enjoyed it a lot. It was a nice day and I can fully recommend his tour. We got to experience a variety of locations driving down to Soufriere and the Pitons, lunch at his mom's, and the speed boat ride back to the ship.

Most recently (last Dec.), I hadn't decided on what to do for our day in St. Lucia. I originally was looking at doing something else and seeing a different part of the island -- Perhaps Pigeon Point and Reduit Beach for the day.

However, getting off the ship it was an absolutely gorgeous sunny day. The last time we went to the Pitons (on Herod's tour), it was mixed weather, mostly overcast with some rain and intermittent sun. Being that the weather looked so calm this time around, and knowing that the conditions would be perfect, I spontaneously searched out one of Spencer's helpers and signed up for his beach break tour at the dock.

It was awesome. A speed boat right down to Sugar Beach(AKA Jalousie Beach) where we had first pick of the free loungers before any other tour groups arrived (being able to get the best spot and the least tattered of the bunch). The Lunch and drinks(beer and rum punch) were tasty, and we had a full day laying in the shade/sun and snorkeling. On the way back we were able to take a ride into Marigot Bay (among other stops that were cool too). On our previous tour the water was a little rougher and we were shorter on time, so we mostly had to speedboat back to the ship.

I can't recommend Spencer's tour enough for those that may have already done the land portion(Volcano, waterfall, banana plantation, viewpoints etc. etc. etc.) and for those that simply want to go straight to Sugar Beach/Pitons and spend the day there.

Spencer's crew was really friendly. A+++

Edited by Skai

We were on Spencer's land and see tour May 4th. It was a bad day for Spencer. I guess one of his boats was down and he had to borrow a boat. The day went downhill from there. There was a lot of waiting at docks to get on and off his boat. Our group got split up for lunch. Some at on the beach while others ate at a small restaurant. He just books too many people. The best part was the boat ride back to the ship with narrated scenic stops along the way.

Yeah, I saw a couple of review from that day. Not sure that it is enough for me to skip one of his tours but I was thinking maybe taking just the beach tour and not the land version. Less transfers, waiting for other people or possibilities of something going wrong.

We were on Spencer's tour the day that the proverbial "sh*T hit the fan" too. Spencer himself got on our bus and apologized. Apparently there is another company that they work with on a VERY regular basis. They loan each other boats etc. Well, Spencer had confirmed with this gentleman that they were good to use one of his boats for the day and he was told yes a number of times. Apparently at the last minute the guy tried to claim it wasn't arranged and that he couldn't help them out. Based on all the reviews I read before going, I honestly believe this was a total fluke. Spencer said he was very disappointed in this friend and very sorry we had to wait.

We did have a bit of a wait for the boat to pick us up initially but once we got underway, things went smoothly. She She (Shequana) his daughter was on our bus when we went to the mud baths and the waterfall, as well as on our boat during those portions and she was awesome. We obviously did the full tour, but you end at the beach either way. Once we got to the beach it was VERY crowded but if you do beach only I'm sure you'll be fine.

The snorkeling was AMAZING!!!! Definitely take equipment so you don't have to rent. I could have done the beach all day and not gotten out of the water except to eat. LOL I even saw my first squid! A group of 3 of them. And a puffer that was GIAGANTIC! I didn't even know they could get that big. I would not hesitate for a moment to book with Spencer again and would highly recommend him.

We saw the little squid too when we were at Jalousie with Spencer in 2012. We went through Anse La Rae and Soufriere that time. Early in the drive, we stopped on the way at a spot beside the road where a young woman was selling "topsy turvy" dolls dressed in traditional costumes. They were reasonable and really well made (by hand). When we bought one for our granddaughter, she said "You have blessed my day." (This was her first sale of the day.) One of our favorite memories of St. Lucia.

Looking forward to time on St. Lucia again in January 2017 and definitely want more snorkeling time at Jalousie. Glad to hear the squid are still there! The speed boat to get there early sounds perfect. Any idea how much it costs to rent the resort loungers? The chairs they provided were just fine, but the more padded loungers might be worth a splurge this time.

We were on Spencer's land and sea tour in April 2016 and it was a fantastic day! 10 out of 10. I highly recommend Spencer and would definitely use him again if we are fortunate enough to return to St. Lucia one day.

If the beach break tour is the one that uses only boats and goes to the Pitons, then I was on that tour with Spencer and would recommend it. There were only 3- 5 of us booked with Spencer and he did ask that we wait as he tried to "recruit" more. Took a few minutes but was not an issue. Walked a short distance to a speed boat that took us quickly to the beach by the Pitons. Hardly anyone there at the time we arrived. We had a select section to use the loungers...no pads if I recall correctly. There were padded loungers and umbrellas but those had to be rented. Since we arrived early, it was easy to find a lounge in a shady area.

Snorkeling equipment was provided. We were served a box lunch not a buffet lunch. There was a cooler which held beverages which we had access to all throughout the day. Return trip made a few briefs stops for viewing pleasure.

Spencer meet us at the cruise port and later joined us on the return boat ride to port. 3 or 4 of his capable assistants were our guides for the day. Had a good time and only positive memories.

• 3 weeks later...
How was the speed boat ride coming and going on the Jalousie Beach Break tour? Wondering if me or my son will get seasick on a small speed boat.

That can vary from person to person, so it's hard to say. I'd take something for motion sickness just in case, or at least have it with you. It's a 45 minute ride from ship to beach, and the return trip is a little longer because that's when you get the sea tour (several stops at points of interest). It's a fast ride and at times a little bumpy, but that is typical with any speed boat. I get motion sickness but speed boats have never bothered me. (???) We took a fishing charter one year with friends out on the Chesapeake Bay for bottom fishing, meaning that they'd find a spot and the boat would sit idle for a longer period of time, just gently rocking on the water. After a couple of hours, I felt it as did a few others and someone actually got sick. Same thing with a cruise ship. I will get motion sickness, even in calmer water and even if I don't feel the motion of the ocean. I take Dramamine for it but there are many other motion sickness products available. Oh, and if I forget to take that Dramamine, I WILL feel it, no matter how calm.

Thanks for your reply, pghsteelerfan. I take a Bonine tablet every day when we're cruising so hopefully that will be enough to help with the speed boat bumps too! Your pictures and review were wonderful so i think we're going to book the beach break tour.

By the way, we're Steeler fans too! We live in northeastern Pennsylvania. Hoping for a good season this year!

Thanks for your reply, pghsteelerfan. I take a Bonine tablet every day when we're cruising so hopefully that will be enough to help with the speed boat bumps too! Your pictures and review were wonderful so i think we're going to book the beach break tour.

By the way, we're Steeler fans too! We live in northeastern Pennsylvania. Hoping for a good season this year!

Small world!!! :) We're living in VA now and have friends we met here who are originally from Carbondale, PA. We're originally from small towns about 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh and are also hoping the Steelers have a good season. The town I'm from is near Latrobe, where Steelers have their training camp at St. Vincent College.

So happy the review/pictures were helpful but warning...the pictures just don't so the scenery justice. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 2 weeks later...

Pghsteelerfan,

Which would you recommend for first time visitors? Was the land portion amazing to where you didn't mind missing some time at the beach?

Thank you for you reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Liltx31

We were on Spencer's land and sea tour in April 2016 and it was a fantastic day! 10 out of 10. I highly recommend Spencer and would definitely use him again if we are fortunate enough to return to St. Lucia one day.

Did this Land, Sea and Beach tour in February and I have to agree!!! The issue that the others here had mentioned must have been a very unusual glitch. We enjoyed it and out of all our excursion on that cruise, this is the one we have the fondest and most vivid memories of.

We even had a long conversation with Spencer that day -he showed us some of their local coins which look very much like Canadian ones on the front -I didn't know it until he told us that our mint actually makes their money.

All the employees ( including Spencer's daughter) were all so personable and knowledgeable of their beloved island. I know if I'm ever fortunate enough to get to St Lucia again, I will be booking one of his tours.

Oh..and don't forget they drive on the opposite side of the road than in US and Canada. For the first part of the land tour I was getting really nervous that Spencer was turned around talking to us instead of keeping his eyes on those narrow roads. We had a really big laugh over that.....once we realized he was in the passenger seat and someone else was driving......

Edited by Shih-tzu

Liltx31 - You'll have many opportunities for snorkeling throughout your Caribbean cruise and St. Lucia is a beautiful island with many interesting sites. I wouldn't just snorkel if this is your first visit.

Our tour with Spencer Ambrose several years ago took us by van through Anse La Rae to Soufriere and snorkeling under the pitons that afternoon. The trip back was by speed boat. This was the perfect combination as the roads are very twisty and windy and we didn't want to make the trip by road both ways. We highly recommend Spencer, but understand he now makes the trip both ways by speed boat. I believe you would miss going through some of the small fishing villages such as Anse La Raye which we felt gave us a good "feel" for the island. He does, however, go to a banana plantation and the volcano so you will still see many of the major sites.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't go both ways to Soufriere by road. This is discussed on many of the other threads on the St. Lucia forum. When we are there in January it will be our third visit to St. Lucia and we'll be using Spencer Ambrose for a full day of snorkeling under the Pitons.

Pghsteelerfan,

Which would you recommend for first time visitors? Was the land portion amazing to where you didn't mind missing some time at the beach?

Thank you for you reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As OBX Cruisers mentioned, there will be plenty of snorkeling opportunities while on your cruise, so for a first time visit, I'd recommend the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure. St. Lucia is just so beautiful and after seeing pictures that others posted in reviews of the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure, I was kind of kicking myself for not doing that first. That is one of the excuses I used to "twist my DH's arm" do a "repeat" of this itinerary...it worked. :D

When we did the Land/Sea Tour last September, we got to the beach at 11:30AM and were there till 2PM, so there was plenty of time to enjoy the beach and snorkeling. I will admit that the snorkeling here is the best I've seen with a lot of different kinds of fish, very colorful corals, and a few on our tour even saw an octopus (I didn't). Beach times may very depending on the size of your tour group. Both times we were there, we were the only ship in port and had smaller groups than they do when there are more than one ship, so that might be something to keep in mind. If there is another ship scheduled with you that day, that may shorten beach time a little.

As OBX Cruisers mentioned, there will be plenty of snorkeling opportunities while on your cruise, so for a first time visit, I'd recommend the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure. St. Lucia is just so beautiful and after seeing pictures that others posted in reviews of the Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure, I was kind of kicking myself for not doing that first. That is one of the excuses I used to "twist my DH's arm" do a "repeat" of this itinerary...it worked. :D

When we did the Land/Sea Tour last September, we got to the beach at 11:30AM and were there till 2PM, so there was plenty of time to enjoy the beach and snorkeling. I will admit that the snorkeling here is the best I've seen with a lot of different kinds of fish, very colorful corals, and a few on our tour even saw an octopus (I didn't).

I have to echo these comments. If your a first time visitor to the island you can't go wrong with Spencer's Land and Sea tour. You get a bit of island scenery without spending hours sitting in a van on winding roads and you get beach time. I have done it twice myself and already have a third one booked for my sailing in Oct. 2016. Out of the 5 islands this itinerary visits, for me the snorkeling has also been the best at St. Lucia.

We used Spencer twice for the Jalousie Beach Break when in St Lucia and had a great time with no issues either time. Spencer is such an awesome guy and loves his island. There were chairs available at the beach and the food was amazing, don't forget to have some rum punch.

He was such a pleasure to speak to and him and my son have become great friends and still email each other.

I have no issues recommending him for a tour!