Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We arrive in Dubrovnik by cruise and we have a full day in Juky ( 9am to midnight ! ) .

I am overwelmed with all the info so I need suggestions please !

What are top 5 things to see / do in Dubrovnik and what is a must do at night time ? ( We have an 11 year old boy )

We want to enjoy the places we visit without rushing or running from one place to another !

We like to walk, bike, swim, scrool the old towns, forts, visit churches, eat local cuisine .

How is weather mid July ?

Thank you in advance for any info and opinions !

We are so lucky. We arrive on Sept 13 at 8AM and stay until the 14th at 4:30PM. The music festival is on at that time and hope to take in a concert. We are just starting to plan what to do the rest of the time.

We arrive in Dubrovnik by cruise and we have a full day in Juky ( 9am to midnight ! ) .

I am overwelmed with all the info so I need suggestions please !

What are top 5 things to see / do in Dubrovnik and what is a must do at night time ? ( We have an 11 year old boy )

We want to enjoy the places we visit without rushing or running from one place to another !

We like to walk, bike, swim, scrool the old towns, forts, visit churches, eat local cuisine .

How is weather mid July ?

Thank you in advance for any info and opinions !

Weather in July is normally hot and humid and you may experience a summer thunderstorm. Our Dubrovnik tourist bureau has excellent information regarding our historical sites. You can choose the sites which interest you and your family. So much to see on a short visit, enjoy your time here.

http://tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/news/znamenitosti/znamenitosti.html

We were in Dubrovnik last July. It is hot so that is why walking the wall should be done first thing in the morning. The cable car to mount syd is something your son would enjoy. We also took a dip in the sea at the public beach (free) located near the Aquarium. Something your son might enjoy is a Kayak tour, we didn't participate but did see them offered right outside the wall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thank you. I did ring Thomson and they said that it was a rest day and no excursions were planned for that day. I find that a bit strange as some passengers do a back2back and are on board for 2 weeks.

They also advised me to stay on the ship and not venture off incase I didn't get back in time for sail away!

Hopefully someone who is travelling soon will find out if there are any shuttle buses, otherwise I'll do as you suggest and get the bus or taxi.

Hi

Are you doing the Adratic Affair on the 14th August?

My cruise is in August and the ship doesn't leave port until 10pm.

I really want to do a tour of the wall but Thomson don't offer an excursion on that day.

How much time should I allow ? What is the best way to do it? This is my first solo cruise and so I want to be sure that I make the most of my time in Dubrovnik !

Thank you.

Hi

This may be of interest to you, I have been advised on the forum that Thomson do the safety drill before the ship departs Dubrovnik likely about 6.30pm so even though the ship doesn't sail until 10pm you may need to back on board a lot earlier. I am not sure if the time is correct I haven't checked with Thomson.

Here is some info I have picked up, which might be useful to help plan your day at a realistic price.

Dubrovnik cruise terminal is located at Gruz district. It's about 30 min walking from the old city center. Inside Dubrovnik cruise terminal you can find: 1) information office 2) shuttle service 3) a big supermarket is just outside the cruise terminal the nearest ATM machine is located at bus station (few steps away from cruise terminal) Taxi from port to Pile Gate into town approx 10 Euro

Mount Srd Mountain near Dubrovnik ,easy to reach by cable car, stunning views over the city and the bay. FROM CRUISE TERMINAL (Gruz port): Take city bus No.8 at main bus station (next to cruise terminal), which will drop you exactly at the spot (you will notice large Cable car sign). Cable Car cost 120Kuna return or 70 one way. (Takes about 1 hr to walk down!)

To get to the Cable car from the Old City you have to go to Buža Street which leads you towards the exit from the city walls. From there you need to keep climbing towards the fire station. Once you are at the fire station, you need to crossover the street on your right hand side and continue straight up the street. After a few moments you will see the cable car lower station on your right hand side.

Sponza Palace : palace from the 16th century, in Gothic and Renaissance style, today is the National Archives

Palace of the Rector: harmonious Gothic and Renaissance palace with baroque elements dating from 1272 historical museum

Placa Street the central street of the Old Town of Dubrovnik, 300 meters long

Dubrovnik Cathedral Romanesque - 12th to 14th century, it was a luxury basilica with many sculptures with 3 altars

Church of St. Blaise church from 1715, in baroque style built by the Venetian architect Marino Gropelli

City walls reinforced walls dating from the 7th century with four ports

Beware Dubrovnik is very over crowded with tourist in July/August one solution is only visit the old city centre after 4:00 PM during the summer. Some cruise ship excursions depart the old city at 2:00 PM, others at 4:00 PM, which makes such a difference in how pleasant it is to explore the city.

So, what should you do before 4:00 PM?

Cable car. details above

The Dubrovnik Cabrio City Tour offers a 2 hour panoramic tour of Dubrovnik, including panorama views over Old Town Dubrovnik in the east and stopping at Dubrovnik Bridge in the west. On the bus there are headphones enabling you to follow the tour highlights in nine languages. This is an open air bus, with a sun roof, which will depart from the Pile Brsalje Square at the western entrance to the old town.

Price per person: 60 kuna Pile Gate (Old Town Dubrovnik) 10:50am 12:40pm 2:30pm

Take a dip in the ocean. Your best choice is Banje beach, located just outside of the Ploce gate entrance. It is also very close to the cable car entrance.

This is info I have picked up from various sites its not based on personal experience. It would be interesting to hear views on the Cabrio City Tour from others who have actually experienced the tour.

Basically your research is good with a few exceptions. Do NOT enter the old town by Buza gate unless you are able to walk many, many steps to reach the main part of town. After exiting the cable car, walk down to the road next to the wall, turn left and continue to the Ploce gate entrance - no steps and easier walk.

Definitely take a dip in the Adriatic Sea, water temperature now is about 20C. The SEA is not an ocean and it is normally a cooler body of water, never getting too warm.

I love the Cabrio bus and always make sure to ride it at least once in high season. It does stop twice, first at the Tudman bridge in the Gruz harbor. Second on the far eastern side, high above the town at the viewpoint. The hand held head phones have 10 different languages and are very informative.

All my experiences are very personal having lived here for the past 8 plus years. Enjoy your time here, many cultural sites to visit and a beautiful town.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Basically your research is good with a few exceptions. Do NOT enter the old town by Buza gate unless you are able to walk many, many steps to reach the main part of town. After exiting the cable car, walk down to the road next to the wall, turn left and continue to the Ploce gate entrance - no steps and easier walk.

Definitely take a dip in the Adriatic Sea, water temperature now is about 20C. The SEA is not an ocean and it is normally a cooler body of water, never getting too warm.

I love the Cabrio bus and always make sure to ride it at least once in high season. It does stop twice, first at the Tudman bridge in the Gruz harbor. Second on the far eastern side, high above the town at the viewpoint. The hand held head phones have 10 different languages and are very informative.

All my experiences are very personal having lived here for the past 8 plus years. Enjoy your time here, many cultural sites to visit and a beautiful town.

Thank you so much, I wouldn't have coped well with lots and lots of steps so really grateful for that bit of info.

Also very pleased to hear the Cabrio bus is worth doing, so that's now definitely on the list. As is the cable car and a dip in the sea, time permitting. Really looking forward to our visit.

Thanks again

We want to go to the Grgich winery in Trstenik, which is about an hour and a half from Dubrovnik.. Is there a car rental agency near the port? Cruise 11/11/17 Pacific Princess

Absolutely there are car rental agencies at the harbor. However it would be wise for you to book something prior and request delivery to your ship/dock. Also may I suggest you write to Grigic Winery to see if they have finished repairing from the devastating wild fire. Our winery here is nothing compared to what they have in Napa, so expect very simple and no extras. The wine, however, is as always outstanding!

We will arrive in October on the vision of the seas.

Since buses donot seem to accept Euro, is there an ATM near the port to get

local money?

Will cabs accept either Euros or creditcard?

We will arrive in October on the vision of the seas.

Since buses donot seem to accept Euro, is there an ATM near the port to get

local money?

Will cabs accept either Euros or creditcard?

Yes there are ATM machines at the Gruz Harbor. Taxi drivers will accept Euros but no credit cards. Do keep in mind that our city wall and cable car do accept credit cards, NO foreign currency. Do inquire prior to making purchases at smaller type shops, also some restaurants do not accept credit cards nor foreign currency. Ask first is your best option.

Yes there are ATM machines at the Gruz Harbor. Taxi drivers will accept Euros but no credit cards. Do keep in mind that our city wall and cable car do accept credit cards, NO foreign currency. Do inquire prior to making purchases at smaller type shops, also some restaurants do not accept credit cards nor foreign currency. Ask first is your best option.

Hello there young lady :). Am taking the opportunity to jump in here and say that DW and I really enjoyed meeting you back in April. Hope all is well and you are enjoying the summer weather.

Hank

Hi,

I'm arriving on the Jade on 25 September (2-9pm) and I'm probably going to be exploring on my own as, regrettably, none of NCL or Viator's tours cover both the Cable Car and the City Walls.

From looking at opening hours, it looks like it would be best to do the walls first (about 90mins?) and then do the cable car.

Does that sound like a sensible way to do things? Am I likely to have any spare time to do anything else?

Are there also any audio tours on the walls? Or signs to point out things of particular interest?

I appreciate any advice - quite a nervous/anxious traveller!

Cheers

Hello there young lady :). Am taking the opportunity to jump in here and say that DW and I really enjoyed meeting you back in April. Hope all is well and you are enjoying the summer weather.

Hank

Thank you, I had such a wonderful day with you both and was sorry to see it end. I so enjoy spending time with guests getting to speak English again. If and when your next cruise stops here, let me know I will show you Cavtat.

Hi,

I'm arriving on the Jade on 25 September (2-9pm) and I'm probably going to be exploring on my own as, regrettably, none of NCL or Viator's tours cover both the Cable Car and the City Walls.

From looking at opening hours, it looks like it would be best to do the walls first (about 90mins?) and then do the cable car.

Does that sound like a sensible way to do things? Am I likely to have any spare time to do anything else?

Are there also any audio tours on the walls? Or signs to point out things of particular interest?

I appreciate any advice - quite a nervous/anxious traveller!

Cheers

Please do not be anxious or nervous. Dubrovnik, old town, is a small area and you will have more than enough time to enjoy the city wall and cable car. The ship shuttle bus, taxi or local bus will drop you at our far western entrance which we call Pile (pee-leh) gate. Our Dubrovnik tourist bureau has an office there where you can pick up a detailed map and obtain accurate information regarding our historical and cultural sites. Some prior research may help you decide which sites interest you and do not want to miss.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to post. Hope this helps you.

We made a port stop here last summer. You asked if there were points of interest. One thing I found interesting is looking closely at the tile roofs. It is easy to identify the original roofs from the new reconstructed roofs. The saddest part is realizing the extent of the devastation to the city from the war. If you like photography Dubrovnik has several wonderful view points.

Hi, we will be in Dubrovnik on the 30 th Oct and are thinking of taking the RCL excursion to Cavet and we will have 3 hrs on our own, which sounds so nice and Unrushed to me!!

So any ideas where to have lunch , local food, not American style! Also is the shopping good for souvenirs and are they reasonable.

My husband likes to try local beers at each port , but maybe they only make wine.:confused: Hope to pick your brains on this. .......Joan.

Hi, we will be in Dubrovnik on the 30 th Oct and are thinking of taking the RCL excursion to Cavet and we will have 3 hrs on our own, which sounds so nice and Unrushed to me!!

So any ideas where to have lunch , local food, not American style! Also is the shopping good for souvenirs and are they reasonable.

My husband likes to try local beers at each port , but maybe they only make wine.:confused: Hope to pick your brains on this. .......Joan.

I am assuming that you mean Cavtat, about 20 kilometers south of Dubrovnik. Unfortunately your arrival date is rather late in the season and you may find that most of the waterfront shops and restaurants have closed down for our winter hibernation. You may want to see if they have any excursions which include Cavtat and Konavle area, perhaps wine tasting. This year 30 October is the last Sunday of the month, perfect timing to close down. During winter Cavtat is lovely for those of us who live here, a small ghost town.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady we will be in Dubrovnik in August are their taxis at the port? we are a family of 4 the shuttle bus is about $15 each return wondered if it would be quicker and cheaper jumping in a taxi, the other question is we are booked on a game of thrones tour 1st thing in the morning just wondering if in your opinon if we would have time to do the wall and cable car i am so excited to visit Croatia.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady we will be in Dubrovnik in August are their taxis at the port? we are a family of 4 the shuttle bus is about $15 each return wondered if it would be quicker and cheaper jumping in a taxi, the other question is we are booked on a game of thrones tour 1st thing in the morning just wondering if in your opinon if we would have time to do the wall and cable car i am so excited to visit Croatia.

Good I am pleased to hear you are excited, Croatia is a beautiful country. Yes there are taxis waiting at the harbor to take your family to the old part of town. The fare is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, but at this point in time I suggest you have only Kunas.

Thanks soooo much for the info, glad I asked re Cavtat, as We would have been dissapointed to get there with no knowledge of the winter closing. So let me ask you this . Does that also go for Dubrovnik? Will all things be closed there to? Thanks for your time....Joan.