FLL - flying in morning of embarkation - UGH.

idkanything

Hi all,

My daughter and I are cruising on the Allure out of FLL on July 24th, and she is unable to leave the day before because of work. In all the cruises, we have always driven from Atlanta to Port Canaveral the day before we sail, and I'm having a mini-panic attack about the whole thing.

We have a direct flight from Atlanta and we are supposed to land at 8:55 am. I booked the flight through Royal so if there is a delay out of our control, they will help us. I also booked the shuttle from the airport to the port from Royal, hoping that would help if there are problems with the flight.

However, after looking at the booking documents, they say the Royal shuttle doesn't leave the airport until 11.

I'm thinking I will keep the shuttle reservation just in case, but when we get to the airport, if we land on time, and if there are taxis at the airport, I'll just call Royal and give them a heads up not to wait for me (I'm not wanting a refund at all, just don't want them to hold other people up if I'm already gone!)

Of course, I've never in my life taken a taxi, so that's another bit of stress, but I'll bring plenty of cash so if they don't take credit cards, I'll be good.

Anyone know if the Royal shuttle leaves before 11, or if we will have to wait 2 hours after we land?

Normally the cruise line shuttles leave the airport as they fill up, as there are people flying in at different times, but maybe Royal does it differently. Maybe they don't want people at the terminal before 11:30 am.

As far as a taxi, after you get your bags, go outside on the baggage claim level and there will be a taxi stand. There's generally a gentleman standing there who organizes things. He'll ask you where you're going and help you into the next cab in line. The ride to the port will cost $15 - $20 tops, plus tip. Most cabs in major cities take credit cards these days, but I just pay with cash.

You must either lead a sheltered life or live in a remote area if you've never taken a taxi. :D This will be an adventure and learning experience. Just know that if you get to the port early, you may end up standing in line in the heat and humidity.

Roz

Just saw that you live in Marietta, outside Atlanta.

Edited by Roz

Normally the cruise line shuttles leave the airport as they fill up, as there are people flying in at different times, but maybe Royal does it differently. Maybe they don't want people at the terminal before 11:30 am.

As far as a taxi, after you get your bags, go outside on the baggage claim level and there will be a taxi stand. There's generally a gentleman standing there who organizes things. He'll ask you where you're going and help you into the next cab in line. The ride to the port will cost $15 - $20 tops, plus tip. Most cabs in major cities take credit cards these days, but I just pay with cash.

You must either lead a sheltered life or live in a remote area if you've never taken a taxi. :D This will be an adventure and learning experience. Just know that if you get to the port early, you may end up standing in line in the heat and humidity.

Roz

Just saw that you live in Marietta, outside Atlanta.

Thanks so much for the details on where to get a taxi, it truly helps to know ahead of time where and how to do something new! I'll try not to get too stressed about it.

And yup, being outside Atlanta, I just drive everywhere so haven't ever had to take a taxi. :)

Why not just hang around the airport for a couple of hours. Eat at one of the restaurants or just sit in the waiting area of an empty gate. Not sure why you would want spend more money to get to the cruise terminal that early just to sit around there.

The port is busy with cruisers leaving the area early. I wouldn't leave the airport before 10:30.

I would cancel the transfers and take a cab. The ship bus will sit until flights are in and baggage all loaded. You can get there faster and cheaper by doing a cab or uber.

There will be cabs out front when you are ready. No problem.;)

It is a short drive to the port. In fact you can see the tops of ships from the airport in the distance.

Edited by eandj

I agree with everyone else here...cancel the shuttle because there is no reason to use it.

Don't get to the port before 11 because you'll be standing outside in the heat.

Take a taxi or Uber. To use Uber, just download the app and register with a credit card. If the Uber driver helps you with luggage, leave a tip. If you take a taxi, pay cash and leave a tip...Ft Lauderdale cab drivers often tell customers their CC machine isn't working.

As others have stated, getting a taxi from the Fort Lauderdale airport is quick and easy and should be $15 - 20 plus tip.

The only reason I would consider keeping the Royal transfer is in case you are late arriving on your flight - they MIGHT be able to help you out once you land (assuming you are cutting it close).

As others have stated, getting a taxi from the Fort Lauderdale airport is quick and easy and should be $15 - 20 plus tip.

The only reason I would consider keeping the Royal transfer is in case you are late arriving on your flight - they MIGHT be able to help you out once you land (assuming you are cutting it close).

This is exactly why I was thinking of keeping the royal reservation. Flying in the day off just terrifies me. This makes me feel like I have a small fallback in case I need it, but I could be crazy!

This is exactly why I was thinking of keeping the royal reservation. Flying in the day off just terrifies me. This makes me feel like I have a small fallback in case I need it, but I could be crazy!

I fully understand your concern, but since: 1) you are flying out of a major hub on a major airline which likely has flights on your route every hour or so, 2) you are traveling mid-summer which should mean good weather, and 3) there are not many cruise ships going out of Fort Lauderdale in July, it is HIGHLY likely that you will make your cruise.

Unless there is a very large group of cruisers on a delayed flight, don't expect the transfer bus and ship to hang out. There is a limit on what a Captain can do with his disembarking time.

If for some reason you were delayed in Atlanta, you'd call the ship and take the fastest method to the port when you do arrive....cab.

Edited by eandj

I agree with everyone else here...cancel the shuttle because there is no reason to use it.

Don't get to the port before 11 because you'll be standing outside in the heat.

Take a taxi or Uber. To use Uber, just download the app and register with a credit card. If the Uber driver helps you with luggage, leave a tip. If you take a taxi, pay cash and leave a tip...Ft Lauderdale cab drivers often tell customers their CC machine isn't working.

So, the OP has a pre-paid shuttle that leaves at 11, but you are telling them to cancel it because there is no reason to take it. Instead, pay for a cab/UBER to get you there after 11, because before that you would have to stand in the heat.

Seams to me like the smart thing is just stay with the shuttle that leaves at 11.

Hi all,

My daughter and I are cruising on the Allure out of FLL on July 24th, and she is unable to leave the day before because of work. In all the cruises, we have always driven from Atlanta to Port Canaveral the day before we sail, and I'm having a mini-panic attack about the whole thing.

We have a direct flight from Atlanta and we are supposed to land at 8:55 am. I booked the flight through Royal so if there is a delay out of our control, they will help us. I also booked the shuttle from the airport to the port from Royal, hoping that would help if there are problems with the flight.

However, after looking at the booking documents, they say the Royal shuttle doesn't leave the airport until 11.

I'm thinking I will keep the shuttle reservation just in case, but when we get to the airport, if we land on time, and if there are taxis at the airport, I'll just call Royal and give them a heads up not to wait for me (I'm not wanting a refund at all, just don't want them to hold other people up if I'm already gone!)

Of course, I've never in my life taken a taxi, so that's another bit of stress, but I'll bring plenty of cash so if they don't take credit cards, I'll be good.

Anyone know if the Royal shuttle leaves before 11, or if we will have to wait 2 hours after we land?

Atlanta is such a mess. Can you take a late flight down to FLL after she gets out of work?

So, the OP has a pre-paid shuttle that leaves at 11, but you are telling them to cancel it because there is no reason to take it. Instead, pay for a cab/UBER to get you there after 11, because before that you would have to stand in the heat.

Seams to me like the smart thing is just stay with the shuttle that leaves at 11.

I'm siding with Randy on this one! If your flight lands in FLL at 8:30 a.m. it probably leaves Atlanta around 7:30, which means you had to be at the airport no later than 6:00 a.m. Where I'm going with this is adding in the drive from Marietta to the airport, parking the car, checking in, clearing security and getting to the gate, I don't see much time for breakfast and goodness knows you won't get any on the plane! So after you get off the plane in FLL check in with the cruise kiosk and then go have a delicious b'fast sandwich or roll and a nice hot cup of coffee or tea at Starbucks, then claim your luggage and get on the shuttle (unless you can claim your luggage and check it with RC shuttle first). If there are enough people arriving between 8 and 10:30 a.m. you might even get an earlier shuttle. The drive from FLL to Port MIA in a bus is probably around 45 minutes and you should be on the ship and having lunch by 12:30 or so.

Edited by Hydrokitty

The missed the part about shuttling from Ft. Lauderdale to POM. :confused: I thought the OP was flying into FLL and sailing from Port Everglades. The taxi info I gave was for FLL. Are they flying into MIA?

Roz

OP here. Thank you all for the comments. I'm not going to Miami, I'm going out of the everglades terminal. I can't even imagine how more stressed I'd be adding that extra drive into the picture!

And to the poster talking about getting out of Atlanta so early, you are very right. Since I'm so paranoid, I'll be sitting at the gate at least an hour before the flight leaves at 6:55 am, planning to leave my house around 4:00 am to leave time for all those annoying airport things (driving, parking, shuttle to the airport, checking bags, etc). I'm going to need coffee in BOTH airports. :)

I wish I could leave the night before, but since my daughter is a server in a restaurant (Canoe, its the BEST ever!), she really doesn't have any leeway - they are giving her the whole next week off.

This is the reason I always leave out of Port Canaveral and just drive down!

1) The ship transfers can be cancelled. And it will cost I'd guess half to take a cab.

2) The 11:00 ship transfer means the bus will be there then. Then passengers will sit on the bus until flights near to and after arrive. Everyone will deboard their planes, head to baggage to wait for and pick up bags, take bathroom break, fiND the ship rep., load luggage on bus and wait. Maybe some people don't mind following the routine. Not a fun way to start a vacation, especially when tired.

Instead grab your bags whenever YOU want to make the quick 12 min. ride and grab a cab. Leave the airport at 10:30. You won't need to wait outside in heat.

The drive from FLL to Port MIA in a bus is probably around 45 minutes and you should be on the ship and having lunch by 12:30 or so.

OP is making the short trip to Port Everglades, not POM. More reason to use a cab.

Edited by eandj

OP is making the short trip to Port Everglades, not POM. More reason to use a cab.

The missed the part about shuttling from Ft. Lauderdale to POM. :confused: I thought the OP was flying into FLL and sailing from Port Everglades. The taxi info I gave was for FLL. Are they flying into MIA?

Roz

Wow, I really missed that too. Where is Port Everglades? I mean I know it's in FL., and while I've been to Everglades NP, I've never heard of Port Everglades as a cruise terminal.

Wow, I really missed that too. Where is Port Everglades? I mean I know it's in FL., and while I've been to Everglades NP, I've never heard of Port Everglades as a cruise terminal.

Port Everglades is in Fort Lauderdale. 10 min. from the airport.

You can see the port from the airport (and vice versa). In fact the boundary of the industrial part of Port Everglades is separated from the Fort Lauderdale Airport only by a highway.

To the OP. I would not hang out too long before going to baggage claim to get your luggage. Restroom is fine, but I would not sit down for breakfast before claiming your bag. That's one way luggage gets lost.

You might want to take some clothes in a carryon bag. You are on a direct flight, and that helps, but luggage can get lost even with a direct flight, and you don't have very many hours for it to catch up with you.

The ship will be at terminal 18, just 4.5 miles away from the taxi stand at the airport. There are no other ships scheduled to be in port on July 24th. Allure is scheduled to sail at 4:30.

By the way, if you were sailing out of Miami, the ship's shuttle would be a great choice.

Travel insurance might be helpful here.

Port Everglades is in Fort Lauderdale. 10 min. from the airport.

Ok here's the really stupid question: I sailed into FLL on our Panama Canal cruise...is its proper name Port Everglades or is there more than one port? I'm asking because every Celebrity cruise that's sailing from that area says Fort Lauderdale...so now I'm really confused.

Edited by Hydrokitty