Train or bus Villefranche to Nice?

Jennybear2299

We'll be in Villefranche on 7/2, and we were planning to take the train to Nice. I read a thread recently that said that the bus was cheaper/easier. What are the pluses of each? I feel like I read that the Sat. Market in Villefranche is near the bus station, so I guess that would be neat to see. Any thoughts/advice from those that have been there? Where does the bus drop off in Nice? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jennybear2299

We prefer the buses because the views are more interesting. The buses also run a little more often then the trains. But, in this case, you are talking about a relatively short distance...and we would normally choose depending on where we are going in Nice. If it is in the morning we would likely be heading to the Cours Selaya and its Flower Market (on Monday's it is an Antique Market)...and the bus is a bit more convenient for that old town area. The train station is more convenient if you are heading to the center of Nice...or simply want to stroll on the Promanade.

Hank

We stayed in Villefranche a few years ago and took the bus into Nice many days. From there we either visited Nice, the old town and flower market or transferred to a second bus that took us to Cannes or Antibes. A wonderful, inexpensive way to get around the area.

• 6 months later...
We stayed in Villefranche a few years ago and took the bus into Nice many days. From there we either visited Nice, the old town and flower market or transferred to a second bus that took us to Cannes or Antibes. A wonderful, inexpensive way to get around the area.

Hi. Can you remember which bus you took to Cannes or where you got it? Our ship tenders at villefranche and was hoping to get to nice and cannes in the day. Nothing specific I want to see, so just a brouse through both.

I believe you are looking for the #200 bus. However, we would not recommend that bus for a cruiser because it is to slow. The train from Nice to Cannes takes 40-45 min. The bus will usually take well over 90 min (each way). If one has a very long port day, and had their heart set on the #200, then you would have time to take it one way to Cannes and use the train back. But even that will use a significant amount of time.

Hank

If one wanted to visit to Nice seafront from Villefranche, what is the recommended way of getting there?

You are two good choices, both of which will mean some walking from the stops. You can either take the train or the bus (the #100 is the usual option). Personally, we prefer the bus because it runs more frequently. We would suggest starting your day at the old town area of Nice where you can visit the popular (and interesting) daily Flower Market (except on Monday when it is an antique market) which is located at the Cours Selaya (this is not far from the sea). From there you can either walk around the old town, or just head right back to the water...turn right....and stroll along the Promanade towards the more central part of Nice.

Hank

Are either the train or bus handicapped accessible, I use a very lightweight scooter. We would like to go to Nice, walk around have lunch and head back to the ship.

Ask this same question on the "Disabled Cruise" board here on CC. Just getting to the Villefranche train station would be a huge challenge with a scooter...since the normal route involves a long steep stairway. And even the bus involves several blocks of walking. I am not sure how the public bus handles scooters which is why you should check with the Disabled board. If you could get to the train station, taking your scooter on the train should be doable (we see folks with their bicycles on this train line. You might want to consider paying the extra money and using a taxi to get to Nice. Once in Nice you should be fine with your scooter...except parts of the old town might be a little tricky.

Hank