Charleston to Cape Liberty(ish)

sddsddean

Thanks for the info Steve. Had a quick look on Google Earth at the Visitor Centre. Do you know how you get into the RV park? The only bit that looks accessible is a long building which is apparently for buses.

Simon

The RV entrance at the parking garage is the same one the cars use on Mary Street. It's half way between Meeting Street and King Street. If you're looking at Google Maps, it's the double wide building. The entrance is just to the right of the bus icon.

The parking is as you first enter on the right side, ground floor. As you leave, you just pull around the U to the exit booth. It's basically a U turn in inside the building before the open part which is for pedestrians and the elevator.

The bus shed at the Visitors center is for guided tour vans and large coach buses while they purchase their touring passes and their riders go inside the visitors center. This building is between Ann and John Streets.

The CARTA DASH stop for all downtown routes is at the end of the Visitors Center on John Street across from the Hampton Inn.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Just seconding the inland route - either the Blue Ridge Parkway or the parallel I- 81 up the Valley - picking it up from I-77 about Wytheville, VA. Really beautiful countryside as opposed to the dismal I-95 paralleling the coast, or the interesting, but infuriatingly slow US 17. On I-81 (or the Parkway) you could stop to take in Natural Bridge, just south of Lexington, VA a beautiful valley town, home of VMI and Washington and Lee Univ. - about an easy day's drive south of Gettysburg.

Got it Steve. I was looking at the 'brown' buildings of the visitor centre (old station?) and not the multi storey car park! Do you know if thats just a place to park 'through the day' or can you stop the night? I imagine its the former.

Thanks for the vote nbt...the natural bridge is on our provisional list!

Simon

Just a quickie to say we have knocked the RV rental idea on the head. After doing numerous searches, the only one way rental people I could find were CruiseAmerica. I looked at reviews for them on several different sites and I could not find one (thats one!) that was good. I know from experiences on these boards that people have differing views, but not to have even one good review?:eek: One that most shocked me was the lady who found a coackroach and pubic hair in the sink! (I wonder what they were doing?:rolleyes:). So we have gone back to plan A and will rent a car and use hotels/motels etc.

I'm assuming places along the Blue Ridge Parkway will be pretty busy in the last week of August, so should we book or hope we can find somewhere each night? Anyone any experience that might help?

Thanks

Simon

Got it Steve. I was looking at the 'brown' buildings of the visitor centre (old station?) and not the multi storey car park! Do you know if thats just a place to park 'through the day' or can you stop the night? I imagine its the former.

Thanks for the vote nbt...the natural bridge is on our provisional list!

Simon

Since you've given up the RV idea, you won't be very comfortable sleeping on the concrete paved parking garage. But at least you won't be restricted to the ground floor only. :D

• 1 month later...

After a couple of weekends planning, I think I've come up with an itinerary for the first part of our trip. Just wondered if you would check to see if I'm being too ambitious or if it seems OK. Can't book anything yet anyway as its still over a year away.

Thurs 17th August Fly into ATL and stop at one of the airport hotels (flight arrives 8pm)

Fri 18th Pick up car, drive to Charleston

Sa 19th, Su 20th Charleston

Mo 21st Drive toward Greenville. Stop to see Ecilpse on the way. Overnight Greenville.

Tu 22nd Drive to Gorge zipline near Saluda. Drive on mostly Interstate to Cherokee.

We 23rd Start Blue Ridge Parkway. Up Mt Mitchell. Stop at Boone.

Th 24th Boone - Rocky Knob - Roanoke

Fr 25th Roanoke - Peaks of Otter - Natural Bridge - Lexington

Sa 26th Lexington - Buena Vista - End BRP/Start Skyline - stop at Skyland

Su 27th Skyland - Front Royal - Gettysburg

Mo 28th Do Gettysburg

Tu 29th Gettysburg - (Any ideas for something on the way) - Newark - Drop car off at EWR. Stop at EWR hotel

We 30th Use hotel laundry (an exciting day!!)

Th 31st Use Country Inn shuttle to Cape Liberty.

Any comments welcome.

I'm still in a quandry what to do after the cruise. We want to 'do' NYC, but are we best to get a hotel somewhere round Jersey City (which will be cheaper than a NYC hotel) and use public transport across the Hudson for about 3 days, or should we really go for a hotel in NYC? If we stayed in Jersey City we could get the PATH back to EWR...if in NYC we could get the LIRR to JFK. I think we can access Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty from the NJ side, so that would be an easy day from Jersey City. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Simon

Just wondered if you would check to see if I'm being too ambitious or if it seems OK. Can't book anything yet anyway as its still over a year away.

Thurs 17th August Fly into ATL and stop at one of the airport hotels (flight arrives 8pm)

Fri 18th Pick up car, drive to Charleston

Sa 19th, Su 20th Charleston

Mo 21st Drive toward Greenville. Stop to see Ecilpse on the way. Overnight Greenville.

Tu 22nd Drive to Gorge zipline near Saluda. Drive on mostly Interstate to Cherokee.

We 23rd Start Blue Ridge Parkway. Up Mt Mitchell. Stop at Boone.

Th 24th Boone - Rocky Knob - Roanoke

Fr 25th Roanoke - Peaks of Otter - Natural Bridge - Lexington

Sa 26th Lexington - Buena Vista - End BRP/Start Skyline - stop at Skyland

Su 27th Skyland - Front Royal - Gettysburg

Mo 28th Do Gettysburg

Tu 29th Gettysburg - (Any ideas for something on the way) - Newark - Drop car off at EWR. Stop at EWR hotel

We 30th Use hotel laundry (an exciting day!!)

Th 31st Use Country Inn shuttle to Cape Liberty.

Any comments welcome.Simon

OMG I'm exhausted just reading the itinerary. lol I sure hope you're teleporting to the various locations instead of driving. There doesn't seem to be any time built in in-case something unforeseen occurs. Do you always holiday balls to the wall? (defined as: To push to the limit, go all out, full speed.) Just curious? :eek:

Yep, pretty much Steve! Seriously though, do you think this is too much? I had a look at a few reviews and they reckoned 2 1/2 days is ample to do the BRP as long as you are not hiking or anything...which we won't. Just want to drive along the countryside and stop at the odd overlook.

Simon

Yep, pretty much Steve! Seriously though, do you think this is too much? I had a look at a few reviews and they reckoned 2 1/2 days is ample to do the BRP as long as you are not hiking or anything...which we won't. Just want to drive along the countryside and stop at the odd overlook.

Simon

Not too much if that's what you're used to. Just be prepared to be flexible and alter your plans if something develops you weren't expecting or takes longer than anticipated. I wouldn't do non refundable reservations just in case. Make sure you have fun!

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I'm still in a quandry what to do after the cruise. We want to 'do' NYC, but are we best to get a hotel somewhere round Jersey City (which will be cheaper than a NYC hotel) and use public transport across the Hudson for about 3 days, or should we really go for a hotel in NYC? If we stayed in Jersey City we could get the PATH back to EWR...if in NYC we could get the LIRR to JFK. I think we can access Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty from the NJ side, so that would be an easy day from Jersey City. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Simon

The problem with your September dates for NYC is that they are going to run into the start of Fashion Week, which is one of the highest hotel rate times during the whole year.

Having said that, you will be more likely to find hotel deals in downtown Manhattan than in midtown. That puts a damper on any plans to take the LIRR to JFK. However, the NY subway would still be an option from lower Manhattan.

Will you be able to handle your luggage on accessible public transit?

If you are renting a car for two weeks, another option would be to keep the car an extra day and instead of doing laundry all day, take the easy drive to Liberty State Park, pay the $7 parking and do the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island from NJ on a Wed instead of on the weekend after your cruise. IMO laundry can be squeezed in elsewhere along the way. This might enable you to cut an entire day off the end of your trip. You will save a lot of money by not paying for a NY hotel on a Monday night.

Accessing the SOL from a Jersey City hotel involves taking the light rail to Essex, walking 4-5 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry (http://www.libertylandingferry.com), and walking across a field to the SOL ticket booth. If you leave from NJ, it is not necessary to return to NJ - you can return to Battery Park in NYC, wander lower Manhattan, and return via PATH to Jersey City. If you do drive and park at Liberty State Park and you do lower Manhattan, you can take the LL ferry back to Liberty State Park for $5/pp. with your SOL ticket.

It appears you are planning to stay at Country Inns. You will only need a one way transfer to Cape Liberty, so you should buy that separately from the hotel rather than paying for a package with the round trip transfer.

Since your trip is not until next year, I would be checking hotel prices now for similar dates this year to get a feeling for rates. I checked the Courtyard a year out and actually saw some great Manhattan rates for next July. If you see something you like for next Sep and it is cancellable, book it immediately.

I actually went through the "find a hotel" process for NYC for the 2nd weekend in Sep. two years ago. Our situation was more complicated with DD and me, DS, and DD + 6 mo old DGD. We had to also lodge two cars, so we ended up at the Jersey City Courtyard with 2 queens and a sofabed, which was much cheaper than two hotel rooms. With only two people it will be easier for you. I found that the Marriott weekend prices tended to be reasonable. Doubletree also offers some good rates.