Luau - best in Honolulu or during our cruise?

holidayhelen

Hello

We are doing the NCL hawaiian island cruise - we would love to do a Luau any suggestions?

We have 5 days pre cruise in Honolulu and then the cruise round the islands - NCL are offering a Luau in Nawilliwili

Any help appreciated

When I was planning our trip I decided to do a luau during our post cruise stay on Maui. My reasoning was that we had free food on the cruise so why pay a lot of money for a luau during the cruise when there was food on board I didn't need to pay for.

Hello

We are doing the NCL hawaiian island cruise - we would love to do a Luau any suggestions?

We have 5 days pre cruise in Honolulu and then the cruise round the islands - NCL are offering a Luau in Nawilliwili

Any help appreciated

Since you have five days to "kill" we would suggest the Polynesian Cultural Center full day package, which includes the evening show and luau. The luau is entertaining but nothing really special (it is the only luau we have done on Oahu so have nothing to compare it to). What makes the PCC worthwhile IMHO is the various Pacific island pavilions, all the other activities and especially the evening auditorium show. You can take a bus tour or a rental car for a very and easy drive.

...VTX-Al

Since you have five days to "kill" we would suggest the Polynesian Cultural Center full day package, which includes the evening show and luau. The luau is entertaining but nothing really special (it is the only luau we have done on Oahu so have nothing to compare it to). What makes the PCC worthwhile IMHO is the various Pacific island pavilions, all the other activities and especially the evening auditorium show. You can take a bus tour or a rental car for a very and easy drive.

...VTX-Al

Sorry, but I completely disagree. The PCC is a worthwhile day for sure, but please don't let that be your only luau. It's horrible.

Old Lahaina Luau is fantastic. The location is picture perfect, right on the ocean, the food is good and the show is amazing. It's a drive from the port, but it is one of those memories you'll have forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I completely disagree. The PCC is a worthwhile day for sure, but please don't let that be your only luau. It's horrible.

Old Lahaina Luau is fantastic. The location is picture perfect, right on the ocean, the food is good and the show is amazing. It's a drive from the port, but it is one of those memories you'll have forever.

Listen to Freehike. All luaus are not alike. Also, for those of you who would enjoy a tropical libation (e.g. mai tai or similar) with your dinner and show, do note that the PCC is owned by a church that does not approve of alcohol and therefore doesn't allow any on premises.

I would not do the ship's luau in Kauai. It is a gorgeous island and you don't want your day cut short by having to race back to the ship in time to be packed onto a tour bus.

I would check the reviews on Trip Advisor for the various O'ahu luaus. I agree, PCC probably not the best option.

In Maui, if you rent a car, you can tour the entire day and plan to end up in Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau. Perfect way to end the day.

In Maui, if you rent a car, you can tour the entire day and plan to end up in Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau. Perfect way to end the day.

This is what we are planning on doing. Although I can't decide between the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele. From what I can gather, they are practically next door to each other and equally as good - one is just priced higher (I think the Feast) because I think they actually have a little more food than the other. Figure we can't go wrong either way!

This is what we are planning on doing. Although I can't decide between the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele. From what I can gather, they are practically next door to each other and equally as good - one is just priced higher (I think the Feast) because I think they actually have a little more food than the other. Figure we can't go wrong either way!

Aloha olemissreb - If you get a chance and haven't done so already, do google the websites for Old Lahaina Luau and The Feast At Lele, as the information you have is not quite correct. They are almost two miles away from each other at opposite ends of Lahaina. Apart from being oceanside, the physical settings are different. One features a Hawaiian show and the other covers Polynesia. One is buffet and the other has table service, etc. A good thing to remember is that all luaus are not created equal.

If you do not decide to do one of the luaus on Maui you might check out these on Oahu, in the Waikiki area...Diamond Head Luau and Chief's Luau. Trip Advisor has reviews. I think Groupon has a discount for Chief's. The Royal Hawaiian has a luau, Aha'aina, and it seems that the enjoyment is weather related. If you are staying on the North Shore at Turtle Bay, that resort also has a nice luau, which I have enjoyed the entertainment from our balcony or sitting on an oceanside bench. I have never officially attended or sampled the food. There are many other luaus on Oahu and most hotels have one at least one night a week. Paradise Cove get's good reviews but requires a drive or bus to get there.

I am not a PCC fan and prefer other ways to get to know the cultures of Polynesia and enjoy a day on Oahu, but this is just my opinion. I hope you enjoy your visit to Hawaii. Cherie

Edited by cccole

If anyone in your group is active or ex military, Hale Koa on Oahu has a nice luau. The price is better than most I researched. Also, if nobody is military, they sell walk up admission on space available the night of the luau. Check their web page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone in your group is active or ex military, Hale Koa on Oahu has a nice luau. The price is better than most I researched. Also, if nobody is military, they sell walk up admission on space available the night of the luau. Check their web page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest the Hale Koa but noticed that they are from the UK. Possibly if you are military in another country you can still go? I would put Hale Koa at the top of my list. I did not know that admission for non-military is walk up on the night of the luau. Thank you for the info. Cherie

Hello

Any help appreciated

OLD LAHIANA LUAU , you will not be sorry.:D

enjoy your trip to paradise

I did the NCL cruise in Sept 2014. They offer a Luau the 2nd last night of the cruise. Don't remember which one it was, but it felt like half the ship was there.

It pales in comparison to Old Lahaina, or Smiths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the NCL cruise in Sept 2014. They offer a Luau the 2nd last night of the cruise. Don't remember which one it was, but it felt like half the ship was there.

This was in Kauai. I seem to recall it is the Smith's Family luau? Read the reviews and book it on your own if you must to avoid being herded around with the masses. It's actually a wonderful night to remain on the ship since the entire ship is at the luau;). Or just extend your day out and about with a wonderful dinner oceanfront as you watch the sun set. Save the luau for Lahaina.

Or just don't do one at all. We didn't and didn't miss it all. ;)

Agreed! To many people, it is "One and done!". We did a luau our very first trip to Hawaii, and afterward, it was "Well, that was OK, but we'd probably not bother again", and we never have! They are expensive and highly over rated, but everyone feels like it is a must do.

This was in Kauai. I seem to recall it is the Smith's Family luau? Read the reviews and book it on your own if you must to avoid being herded around with the masses. It's actually a wonderful night to remain on the ship since the entire ship is at the luau;). Or just extend your day out and about with a wonderful dinner oceanfront as you watch the sun set. Save the luau for Lahaina.

It's actually Luau Kalamaku. We booked it because they have gluten free options. I didn't see that any other luau offers that.

It's actually Luau Kalamaku. We booked it because they have gluten free options. I didn't see that any other luau offers that.

This is a comment from another website in regard to luaus:

Feast at Lele on Maui can be enjoyed by gluten-free diners.

Feast at Lele is a luau but instead of a buffet, the food is served

as a 6-course meal. I was told I could have everything but the

scallops and the steak. They prepared me gluten-free scallop and

steak dishes instead, so I did not feel left out. The best part of the

meal was the chicken wrapped in a taro leaf. The show was fun.

The atmosphere was great -- we were on the beachfront.

POSTED BY DC CELIACS SUPPORT GROUP

http://www.dcceliacs.com

PCC is great as a day trip but for the luau there's better options IMO. I've been to Paradise Cove and Germaines, both on Oahu. I enjoyed them both though they're pretty different!

We did Paradise Cove with my family when they visited, ages 3-72 and everyone enjoyed it. There's a lot to do there, little activities and cultural demonstrations. GORGEOUS setting, right on a lagoon and perfect location for the sunset. (I live close by, and drive over to that area to enjoy the sunsets very frequently.) There's multiple things going on at once up until dinner, and there's a bunch of vendors there selling cute things.

Germaines my husband and I did just as a date night. It's pretty cool because it was a families home in the past and has a bit of an old hawaii feel to it. There's not much to do before the dinner and the show, they do the imu ceremony and I actually liked theirs better cause we were closer to them pulling the pig out of the ground and it came up as a whole pig when they dropped it on the ground and it literally all fell right apart. Definitely a more laid back atmosphere than Paradise Cove. Since we weren't walking around checking everything out we had more time to socialize and got to know some of the people sitting near us which was nice. It is right next to the water though it's next to a rocky coastline, not a good spot for dipping feet even if they didn't have a rope keeping you away from the shore, but it's still a nice view and relaxing hearing the waves. Not the best view of the sunset especially in the summer, but in winter when the sun sets farther south it's pretty setting behind the lighthouse which is next to the luau.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a luau. I didn't pay THAT much attention to the shows and I'm not a good judge of food (feed me Kalua pig and day and I am happy as a clam.) If you like more entertainment, Paradise Cove is for you. If you like more laid back, Germaine's is better.

~Katy