sea glass

butterflycruise

Hi will be sailing on Summit on Aug and would like go to see the sea glass beach. My husband would never be able to walk there from the dockyard. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Take a taxi. Be advised you won't be able to pick up any glass per a the sign there and a recent report, url below, says there is security at that beach.

Review of Clearwater Beach & Sea Glass Beach

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2380084&share_tid=2380084&share_fid=24703&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you Charles to linking my recent review of Sea Glass beach.

OP -- might I add there are very steep unstable stairs (only wide enough for one person at a time) from road (the road that goes behind the houses) down to Sea Glass Beach. Even if you get dropped off on the main road you have to traverse a rocky shoreline to get to Sea Glass Beach.

I still feel the same as when I made my review....it was so incredibly disappointing.

The beach near St. George does not have the amount of sea glass that you see on the one near the Dockyard. There is a cave in St. George that can be reached when the tide is out that has sea glass. It is on the same beach near the Battery. Again, if you pick up sea glass, the problem seems to be getting it back on the ship. The ship personnel have no idea where you picked it up and it is usually confiscated when getting onboard. Since the Sea Glass Beach near the Dockyard has stopped people from taking Sea Glass, it is pretty difficult to get it out of Bermuda.

The beach near St. George does not have the amount of sea glass that you see on the one near the Dockyard. There is a cave in St. George that can be reached when the tide is out that has sea glass. It is on the same beach near the Battery. Again, if you pick up sea glass, the problem seems to be getting it back on the ship. The ship personnel have no idea where you picked it up and it is usually confiscated when getting onboard. Since the Sea Glass Beach near the Dockyard has stopped people from taking Sea Glass, it is pretty difficult to get it out of Bermuda.

Greedy people picking up bags of it and some of those bragging about their Sea Glass jewelry business on Facebook have caused the prohibitions to picking it up at the Dockyard Sea Glass beach and the confiscations.

I don't think the ship personnel will notice a piece or two in a pocket. I don't think Bermudians care much about a piece or two. Picking up a lot of it is what they really don't like. A bag or bags of sea glass is what ship personal are likely to find on their scanners, all bags are scanned when getting back onboard, and those have been confiscated. That is only my opinion as I have never picked up either a piece or a bag of the sea glass and tried to bring it on the ship.

Greedy people picking up bags of it and some of those bragging about their Sea Glass jewelry business on Facebook have caused the prohibitions to picking it up at the Dockyard Sea Glass beach and the confiscations.

Yes, that person deleted everything from her FB page real fast after the brouhaha it caused.

I don't think the ship personnel will notice a piece or two in a pocket. I don't think Bermudians care much about a piece or two. Picking up a lot of it is what they really don't like. A bag or bags of sea glass is what ship personal are likely to find on their scanners, all bags are scanned when getting back onboard, and those have been confiscated. That is only my opinion as I have never picked up either a piece or a bag of the sea glass and tried to bring it on the ship.

Probably not. As I said, that lady caused an uproar and it seemed like only one Bermudian was very vocal in the newspaper about protecting their "natural resource". I had asked our friend in Bermuda about the controversy and he said it would blow over and people would be on to something else. But, since they now have security at the one near Dockyard, there must be enough people who consider it precious.

I confess, I picked some when it was legal but not much more than a cup.:)