How much do you drink (alcohol) on a cruise?

trident777

Here's my story divided into 2 parts.

2015 Single traveler with of course the supplement.

Barc to Houston 16 Days

Obstructed view 1,540.00

Booze purchase 420.00 bottle wine every other day a few cocktails

Upcharge dining 40.00

Full Spa Pass 200.00 turned out to be a bust.

TOTAL 2,200.00

Barc to Florida 13 days

BALCONY ROOM 2,100.00

Booze package 00.00 INCLUDED

Upcharge dining 00.00 6 nights so 4 more than last year

Spa Pass 00.00 it was a bust due to low ceiling and fixed

vertebrae...couldn't use the hot tub.

TOTAL 2,100.00

I will probably drink about my same 1/2 bottle of wine each night with dinner, I will probably have 2 other cocktails a day At home I usually drink 2 legit size glasses of wine with dinner nothing more...so this will be a lot more drinking than normal for me. And BTW the cocktails will probably be more fruity based...not whiskey in a glass.

I wish they had a different package like 2 glasses wine with dinner and 2 cocktails of your choice otherwise a day... I feel like if I was paying 64 $ a day for booze, I'd sure get my money's worth. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new on the EPIC Departing Barc on Oct 30. John

We had the signature beverage package as part of our deal through our discount retail big box bulk purchase organization to which we have a membership.

:D

Sadly, we did not abuse said package as much as I had assumed we would, nor as much as I'd have liked to.

I'd say on average I had 2 non alcoholic drinks on average per day (diet cokes) and then maybe 3 beers and 3 drinks a day or some combination there of. SO I was drinking on average 8 drinks a day of my allowed 15.

The wife and I had dreamed of sipping drinks on-stop and it never worked out that way. On HAL a lot of the bars close early (before or at 10) and you're left with 3 bars for a lot of people. So it makes it hard to go and chill and drink.

That said some of it was our own fault, so it's not all on HAL. But if you are not a DRINKER, I'd think twice about the drink package. I think ours was supposed to be a $450 value (each) I don't know that we'd have drank that much anyway.

We typically get a bottle of Rum from the Fun Shop in the room for a 7 day cruise. With the 2 bottles of wine we bring, we really don't order but maybe 1 drink a each a day.

We do enjoy 2 or 3 drinks when we are wandering through a local port.

We have discovered that those liquid water additives, like "Mio" come in some great flavors that go well with the Rum, including one that is "close" to a Pina Colada, without the sugary added calories.

Therefore:

2 Bottles of Wine = 3 Servings per Glass = 6

1 Liter of Rum = 34 Ounces @ 2oz Each = 17 (Tervis Cups)

3 Ports @ 3 drinks per Port x 2 people = 18

1 per Day on the Boat x 2 People = 14

Total = 55 +/- About 4 Drinks Each per Day

Liter of Rum = $90

2 bottles of Wine = $10

Port Drinks = $60

Boat Drinks = $90

Total = $250 or about $4.55 Each

No wonder I am a little shaky on Disembarkation Day! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sheesh. I drink literally all day, except if we're doing an active shore excursion. I used to do mimosas in the morning but haven't for the past few cruises so I can get more water in. I don't like hard alcohol so it's either wine, beer, or preferably champagne for me. On sea days, I'd say easily 13 drinks.

Don't judge me [emoji30] I only drink Fridays and Saturdays when not on vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are going on our first cruise in February 2017 and I keep going back and forth on whether or not to buy the drink package for our Carnival cruise. We don't normally drink a lot at home but we do when on vacation and the break even point would be 6 drinks a day which isn't a huge amount stretched over the course of the day but we do have 4 days at port so how much can you drink and still be in shape for the next day and then someone said long island iced tea yum oh decisions decisions lol

Sheesh. I drink literally all day, except if we're doing an active shore excursion. I used to do mimosas in the morning but haven't for the past few cruises so I can get more water in. I don't like hard alcohol so it's either wine, beer, or preferably champagne for me. On sea days, I'd say easily 13 drinks.

Don't judge me [emoji30] I only drink Fridays and Saturdays when not on vacation!

Finally, someone I can relate to! My wife and I never drink during the week, and only have a few most weekends, but I like to have fun on a cruise! We can easily do 2 mimosas in the morning, a DOD and a couple of beers with lunch, 3-4 mixed drinks or beers in the afternoon, 2 glasses of wine with supper, an espresso martini with dessert, and 4-5 jack or coke or something similar at night. 10-15(on sea days) is very common. However we drink TONS of water during the day. If you continue to drink water, you will get a good buzz, but never once get drunk, or have a hangover! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Finally, someone I can relate to! My wife and I never drink during the week, and only have a few most weekends, but I like to have fun on a cruise! We can easily do 2 mimosas in the morning, a DOD and a couple of beers with lunch, 3-4 mixed drinks or beers in the afternoon, 2 glasses of wine with supper, an espresso martini with dessert, and 4-5 jack or coke or something similar at night. 10-15(on sea days) is very common. However we drink TONS of water during the day. If you continue to drink water, you will get a good buzz, but never once get drunk, or have a hangover! :cool:

Now that they have changed the Cheers package we are going for it for sure. Looking forward to not having to budget on our drinks

• 4 weeks later...

We start the day by having 2-3 Bloody Mary's either before or just for breakfast, 3-4 drinks depending on the weather for the early to late afternoon, champagne at 5, cocktail while getting ready for dinner, Martini right before dinner 2 glasses of wine for dinner and a night cap or 2 before bed, throw in a shot or 2 and we are about at 15!

So glad Carnival added the Cheers program!

• 2 months later...

We did the unlimited beverage package last winter and will do the same in a couple weeks. On an at sea day we will have at least one mimosa or bloody with breakfast, a few drinks by the pool, cocktails before dinner and at least one glass of wine with.

• 2 weeks later...

I am such a lightweight. A mixed drink if we go to a comedy show, a frozen concoction about twice per cruise, and MAYBE a spiked coffee once for dinner.

I usually buy a coke at dinner, but otherwise drink water. (Bubbles would be a waste for me. And OBVIOUSLY Cheers would.)

The sad part? Any of you seeing me after my tiny drink will think I've bee drinking all day! :)

• 5 weeks later...

At home I usually have a drink before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner daily.

On board, before the free drink package perks became available, I usually limited myself to buying bottles of wine for dinner and having one or two glasses with dinner and perhaps an occasional after dinner drink during a show.

But last December, we had our first experience with the classic drink package on the Celebrity Silhouette on a 7-night Caribbean cruise. With free drinks, I usually had a glass of wine with lunch, a cocktail mid-afternoon, two or three glasses of wine with dinner and either a before or after dinner drink (occasionally both!) Except for the wine at lunch, it was generally the same on port days as on sea days.

My level of consumption was considerably higher for several reasons:

- FREE

- First time experience

- Wanted to get my full value

- I was on vacation

- FREE

A nice thing about having the free package was that I did not need to buy wine by the bottle, but could try different wines by the glass. Also enjoyed the specialty coffee drinks and bottled water included in the drink package.

We have the same package this fall on an Asian cruise, but I will probably be a little more temperate on port days due to the 8-hour shore excursions!

My last cruise in Nov my friend and I killed our 2 bottles of wine in the mornings with OJ. Those lasted all week. When I got my bill at the end of the cruise I ended up only having one beer the whole time. I drank so much on the islands that there was no need by the time I got back on the ship. It was all water then LOL My next 2 cruises I will take my wine and maybe have a beer or 2 again. This time I will be traveling with just myself and my 2 kids (12 & 13) so I have to be responsible since I'm such a light weight LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading though and thought the same thing! At home I have a cocktail maybe two a week. If that but on vacation at least on cruises neither of us worry about calories, sugar all the stuff I worry about the other 50 weeks a year.

I love my mimosas at breakfast and he loves iced Irish coffee or a spiked iced mocha.

Then by the pool there's a drink or four lol. We grab a pre dinner drink before the 8pm dining, maybe a drink at dinner or two, one at the show. We go Oasis and Allure, so then it's wandering Central Park or one of the 20 bars and trying new drinks we may not try otherwise. No one has to drive, or get up early, no one was a drunken mess. But also know it's vacation and we enjoy trying new drinks and all the bars have different menus so may as well have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

3 to 4 drinks either wine or vodka and cranberry. Dh doesn't drink but he promises he will try something while on vacation. He has took a sip before of some wine but he just doesn't like alcohol:rolleyes: I really don't mind being tipsy all by myself :cool:

3 to 4 drinks either wine or vodka and cranberry. Dh doesn't drink but he promises he will try something while on vacation. He has took a sip before of some wine but he just doesn't like alcohol:rolleyes: I really don't mind being tipsy all by myself :cool:

That's one thing we love about the drink packages on Royal, when we go with friends not everyone drinks so it is nice that if the wife wants the drink package the husband doesn't have to buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...