Turnaround day NYC (Red Hook)

lljost

Not sure whether to post this here or under the ports of call section but here goes. My DH and I are on the Regal Princess back2back Oct 22 and Oct 27. We are flying in late on Oct 21 and staying at a hotel near LGA so no time to sightsee then but will have time on Oct 27 to try to see some sights around town. Our wish list includes the 9/11 Memorial, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. What is the easiest way to do at least one or two of these? Is a cab to the 9/11 Memorial doable? Or would it be better to try to get over to Battery Park and do a cruise tour to the Statue and Ellis Island? I would appreciate any and all help! Thank you!

You have a nice long port day on a Thursday. I'd take a cab to South Ferry and go out to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. If you have time I'd take a cab to the 911 Memorial (no the museum) and then a cab back to Brooklyn leaving lower Manhattan no later than an hour before your on board time. I'd pay the extra money to go through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (Hugh Carey Tunnel).

You won't have time to do any of these sites in depth, but you will get to experience them.

Taking a taxi to Battery Park would be easy. Make sure you go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island first. You can buy tickets ahead of time if you want. There can be lines, although they won't be too bad in October to get back on the ferry. It's an easy walk from Battery Park to the 9/11 memorial and museum. I personally found the museum very interesting. Just plan more time than you think for you trip. Doing all three of those things will consume an entire day. Keep an eye on the clock.

Some people love the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty. Coming from a boat, I'm not sure you will be as eager. The island itself isn't that stunning. If you want to go to the pedestal you have to buy tickets months in advance. I liked the museum at Ellis Island. My favorite of the three was the 9/11 memorial and museum.

Edited by Roseflyer