Rhode Island to Ny for 7

jackie101

Rail has often been a back-up option for us, but given the on-time record, we have opted to drive. The am't of cruise luggage has always been an issue because of the limited space on each train - remember the train starts at South Station/Boston.

On our last cruise out of NYC, we planned to stay n Greenwich CT the night before, arranged for parking and planned to take the commuter rail into the city with a cab to the pier. Then disaster struck - a major incident on the rail line with major routing changes. So, we spent the night in CT and drove into the city and parked at the garage adjacent to the ship. There were four adults, lots of luggage, but in the end, were glad we drove.

Another option would be bus to the Port Authority if you are near Providence.

Darcy

We took the train from Kingston (near URI) on Easter Sunday about two years ago. It was an easy trek! Not sure about Christmas time. If you can pre-purchase your tickets to make sure you have a seat I would do it!

[quote name='marco']12/26....you might also have an issue with weather. You could just plan to drive that day and park, but I'd keep leaving the night before and staying over someplace close as an option.[/QUOTE]

There is a really good chance that they don't want to leave on Christmas Day. Just sayin

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nobody really wants to travel on Christmas Day, but the reality in the Northeast is that you have to have a Plan B and sometimes a Plan C to deal with bad weather, particularly in the winter.

Stamford CT is a potential destination because the chances are that Metro North to Grand Central would be running and you can do long term parking at the train station for way less than the $40/day at the pier. There are a number of hotels very close to the station and they should be very cheap the night of Dec 25 if there's a snow storm. I got caught last year in Boston coming back from a cruise and hotwired a room. I learned later at the hotel that I could have called the hotel directly and asked for a "storm rate". I will try that if I'm ever caught again. My travel insurance covered it, so I was a happy camper.

[quote name='138east']Nobody really wants to travel on Christmas Day, but the reality in the Northeast is that you have to have a Plan B and sometimes a Plan C to deal with bad weather, particularly in the winter.

Stamford CT is a potential destination because the chances are that Metro North to Grand Central would be running and you can do long term parking at the train station for way less than the $40/day at the pier. There are a number of hotels very close to the station and they should be very cheap the night of Dec 25 if there's a snow storm. I got caught last year in Boston coming back from a cruise and hotwired a room. I learned later at the hotel that I could have called the hotel directly and asked for a "storm rate". I will try that if I'm ever caught again. My travel insurance covered it, so I was a happy camper.[/QUOTE]

Stamford is a good option - both Metronorth to Grand Central and Amtrak to Penn Station on trains. Depending on weather, you could drive down in little more than an hour late on the 25th. You certainly do not want to leave all travel to the 26th that time of year.

What are you asking? I don't see a question in your post. As far as Amtrak goes, I've used it between Connecticut and New York. While getting on trains from Penn Station can be a messy confusing disaster, the train itself is quite nice. It's not particularly fast because you have to share the track with Metro North trains for much of the distance and that section of track frequently has delays. Just plan some extra time in case the train is late. If anyone suggest Metro North between New Haven and New York, yes Metro North has more frequent trains and requires no reservations. The downside is that Metro North trains are louder and less comfortable and have no food/bar. If you book more than 21 days out, Amtrak and Metro North are basically the same price.

Overall, Amtrak is quite nice, although if you get on a through train starting from Providence, you may not be able to sit together. If it is a busy time of the day, all the seat pairs are taken up by people from Boston and there are just random aisle and window seats through out the train car. People will move if asked, but might give you some attitude. It's not easy to get many seats together if you are getting on at a stop in the middle of the train line. I've personally never seen a train packed so tightly that there was not enough space for luggage. Holidays might be different, but normally in the Northeast corridor, people only have small carry on bags and briefcases. You don't see that much luggage from the business commuters. Edited by Roseflyer

[quote name='Roseflyer']

If you book more than 21 days out, Amtrak and Metro North are basically the same price.

I've personally never seen a train packed so tightly that there was not enough space for luggage.

You don't see that much luggage from the business commuters.[/QUOTE]

Bad misinformation: the cheapest Amtrak fare from New Haven to New York - regardless of lead time - is $31. Metro north - except for peak commuting hours - is $16.50.

Luggage racks at the ends of Amtrak cars are frequently packed solid - especially around holiday/vacation times - and the overhead racks can also be fully taken when the train is carrying a full load.