Which Canada Line Station?

We will be arriving in Vancouver in September on a Wednesday around noon. We plan to take the Canada Line to downtown and wonder which station would be best to get off at so that we have the easiest walk to the St. Regis hotel. Both the City Center and the Waterfront Canada Line stations are fairly close in distance but is one better than the other considering we will be loaded down with luggage?

In my minds eye the Vancouver City Centre station is a smidge closer to the St. Regis but more importantly it is downhill from the VCC station whereas the Waterfront station is uphill. I would definitely get off at the VCC station with luggage.

Edited by Putterdude

Are you referring to the St Regis Hotel at Dunsmuir and Seymour? I work two blocks away from here.

IMO, I don't think you can go terribly wrong with one or the other but I think the slightly closer and easier stop is Vancouver City Centre. You're also walking a very slight uphill from Waterfront.

If you don't want to try your luck snaking your way through the underground shops, you can exit via the main Canada Line entrance/exit at Granville and Georgia with an easy 2 block walk to the St Regis: 1 block north with a slight downhill along Granville (wide sidewalks as it's a somewhat busy pedestrian mall shopping street) and 1 flat/level block east on Dunsmuir.

I could be mistaken but I think you're able to traverse the underground shopping area and exit at the Granville Station exit on Dunsmuir which is right beside the St Regis. But I think for a tourist, it'd be easier to just exit and walk two blocks above ground.

^I concur - here's a map of the mall if you want to try walking through it; you can see access to/from Canada Line listed on M1. St Reg is corner of Dunsmuir & Seymour - you can either cut through HBC, exit onto Seymour and walk down the block or come out anywhere on Granville and walk down then right on Dunsmuir. Either way it's closer and downhill vs uphill from Waterfront - and unless it's bucketing with rain it's easiest to just get out of the mall and walk the streets, less chance of going astray.

Something else to consider..... the cost of the Canada Line will be $18 for 2 adults. Then you need to drag your luggage 3 blocks from the station to the St. Regis.

Another option is a $31 taxi. While priced double to the subway....

• you get door to door service
  • you get to see Vancouver's neighborhoods from the surface instead of a long dark subway tunnel for an extra $10 USD.

Travel time is about the same....

Same question for the Hampton Inn.

Which Station and walk or taxi?...Thanks

You have the option of taking the Canada Line to either the Yaletown Roundhouse station or the Vancouver City Centre station and walking to the Hampton. Personally I would go to the VCC station its more of a direct walk and is level. A cab door to door is $31 and would be my choice as you do get to see a bit of Vancouver rather then the walls of a subway.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vancouver+City+Centre+Station,+Vancouver,+BC/Hampton+Inn+%26+Suites,+111+Robson+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6B+2A8/@49.2801709,-123.1212377,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486717f13178bd3:0x6d714d6c1cbb6bc4!2m2!1d-123.118555!2d49.2824832!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486717c4ccaf567:0xc22275a446b7a3cd!2m2!1d-123.113891!2d49.2779147!3e2

Distance is basically identical at ~750metres from the two closest Canada Line stations. From Yaletown is a wee bit uphill, but since Yaletown is the first of the two stations stopped at you would still likely arrive a minute or so earlier at the hotel, plus it's easier to exit from - City Centre leads into a large mall as well as out onto the street. Plus, if you wanted to SkyTrain downtown then jump in a cab for the last bit, there's a taxi rank right outside Yaletown on Davie St just as you exit.

As to doing train vs. walk - it all comes down to your personal preference for $ vs convenience. $31+tip (expected $35) vs. $7.75pp on weekends/evenings or $9pp weekdays. Time is going to be a wash - SkyTrain is faster, no traffic, but you have approx 10mins walk on the end.

Personally if it's just one or two of you I'd do SkyTrain then if you don't feel up to the walk, jump in a cab to the hotel at Yaletown. A <1km ride is going to run $5 on the meter. So total spend less then a cab all the way, arrival time pretty much identical, and you getm to figure out how our transit system vending machines work which will stand you in good stead during your stay if you plan to see anything outwith walking distance from the hotel.

Edited by martincath

If you choose to go the Canada Line route I'd probably choose Vancouver City Centre. It's a slight downhill to the hotel. You can then head east on Georgia or Robson. Georgia is a busy street with three lanes of traffic in each direction with a mix of office towers and a couple of restaurants and pubs along the stretch to the hotel. Robson might be a more lively/pleasant walk with a lot more restaurants and shops but also with more pedestrians too depending on time of day. And it's only single traffic with a parking lane in each direction.

The missus drops me off in the morning about a block from the Hampton Inn and I hoof it up Robson to get to the office.

Not sure if I'd want to walk from Yaletown to the hotel with luggage. If you walk though Yalketown heading east, one side of the street is elevated (albeit there are ramps) with restaurant patios and the other side of street has a narrow sidewalk. You can work around it like by heading east along a laneway or further south walking along Pacific. I just think it's more straight forward from Vancouver City Centre.

Just a note about the taxi option, which I think is also a decent option. Taxi fares from YVR are set by the zone you are travelling to so it's a set $31 (plus tip, additional fees for requested stops along the way, etc).