Best Recommendations?

quiltkarrot

TL;DR -- Going to Bermuda. Some of us have mobility issues. Any suggestions?

I'm so confused! We are sailing to Bermuda on the Carnival Pride and will be there September 7, 8, & 9. In our group, we will have one 83 year old woman who has trouble walking long distances, a couple that is 62/55 with no disabilities, and another couple that is 56/55 who both have disabilities. My husband has MS and has difficulty walking long distances (though he would vehemently protest that point) and over uneven surfaces. I had shoulder surgery a week ago and will be wearing a big, bulky sling and I occasionally have mobility issues of my own. We'll have a rental scooter for the husband; no sense burning energy until it's needed.

First (because I can't ever remember ;)), where is it we'll be docking? It's hard to remember where we'll be. What's in the immediate area? Anything to walk to?

Secondly, taking physical limitations into account, what excursions should we think about doing? Carnival offers an island tour on a handicapped-accessible bus that should be able to accommodate the scooter, and I think we'll do that the first day. Does anyone have any suggestions for excursions (even non-Carnival) that we should look at?

Third, city buses? Is there a multi-day pass? Or a day pass? Are they reliable?

Fourth, beach -- is one more accessibility-friendly than others? MIL probably won't want to go, don't know about husband, but I do and my SIL/BIL probably will as well. Take an excursion from the ship, take a bus, take a cab? And how much for the 2nd two?

Fifth (whew, didn't know I had so many questions, sorry!), is there any place we should be sure to eat at? Bars? And is there anything I could have possibly forgotten to ask that is a must for Bermuda?

If you've gotten this far, thanks so much. I'm excited for this trip, and I'm looking forward to tips and suggestions. Thanks again.

I'll take the easy ones.

You are docking at King's Wharf located in the area known as the Dockyard.

There is much at the Dockyard that can be walked to.

1 & 2 day Transportation Passes and tokens are available which can be used on the public buses and the ferries. I would consider the buses and ferries reliable, but some times there can be a hiccup.

There is a man made beach in walking distance from the cruise ship.

I consider a visit to St George a must. Take the ferry to and from.

For a pub, the Swizzle Inn is a Bermuda landmark but would require a combination of a ferry ride and a bus/taxi ride. If you go to SG, I would consider visiting SI on the same day.

SBtS

Secondly, taking physical limitations into account, what excursions should we think about doing? Carnival offers an island tour on a handicapped-accessible bus that should be able to accommodate the scooter, and I think we'll do that the first day. Does anyone have any suggestions for excursions (even non-Carnival) that we should look at?

The public buses are not accessible. You can't take a scooter on those. You can take them on the ferries to either Hamilton or St. George.

I would make sure about that Carnival bus being able to take a scooter. Keep in mind though that Bermuda is not very "accessible". Many places have no sidewalks and buildings don't have ramps so even if you get the scooter to some places it's use may be limited or a hassle. You might be expending more energy taking the scooter on excursions or to places than it is worth.

If he can walk short distances you can take the $7 minibus shuttle to Horseshoe Bay beach or a taxi to Horseshoe since those pick up and drop off close to the ship and to the beach itself at Horseshoe Beach. Since your husband does walk it sounds like he can do Horseshoe if you take a shuttle or taxi. You don't want to take the public bus since they don't go down and up the hill like the shuttle and taxi.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
I'm there at the same time on the Breakaway. According to this website the Pride is docking at Hamilton.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Bermuda/271-Hamilton/September_2016/

According to the Bermuda 2016 Cruise Ship Schedule, the Pride is making 2 visits to Bermuda in September, and both visits she will be docking at King's Wharf at the Dockyard.

The Pride is too big for Hamilton compared to HAL's Veendam that does go to Hamilton.

SBtS

I'm there at the same time on the Breakaway. According to this website the Pride is docking at Hamilton.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Bermuda/271-Hamilton/September_2016/

That website is chock full of errors. As SBtS said, your ship will dock at Kings Wharf.

Here's a link to the official port schedule he referenced:

http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2016_Cruise_Ship_Schedule.pdf