Rome Neighborhood suggestions

Az's Cruising Nana

We are still looking at VRBO for our stay in Rome. I was given good advice last time I asked so here goes. We would ideally like to stay in Campo di Fiori/ Pantheon area. Plan B is close to the Vatican. We have found 2 apartments but are a little unsure of the neighborhoods. The first is Located in close proximity of the Museo e Galleria Borghese. The second is in an area I believe it is called Rione V Ponte. I know these are not right next to Campo di Fiori and Pantheon but look to be reasonablly close. The one is across the river from Angels Castle it looks like there is a bridge that you go over and than are close to the Vatican.

Also if anyone has used VRBO I am noticing most are requesting the entire rental upfront where as I was not noticing this as much as when I first started looking.

Thanks in advance,

Sue

I stayed near Villa Borghese, right off the Via Veneto on Via Lombardia, it was an apartment but not through VRBO but of course they are great, my friends in Italy made the arrangement for me. I *loved* the area, it was convenient and easy to walk everywhere from here but also, there is mass transit (bus or metro) on the Via Veneto if you prefer that instead. However, if able, walk...Rome is glorious.

I'd rather not stay near the Vatican, personally, just a bit too quiet at night I think though Castel sant'Angelo is indeed probably prettiest lit up at night, it's still lovely in the daytime too. If I were going to stay anywhere in the area, it would probably be Trastevere, but that would be better for a second trip to Rome as it's less close to the *main* attractions but still great and near the Vatican. It's just a "less common" area to go to, known for great food and more artsy type pursuits. Just figured it was worth a mention.

Rome is easily managed on foot by sectioning the city off, then visiting whatever is in that section on a certain day...at least this what what I did and it made things so much more manageable. There's enough grouped together in the "centro storico" to make this approach practical for more than a few days.

Good luck with your rental, enjoy Rome.

A great neighborhood is Prati, east of the Vatican. It is lively at night and has great restaurants. Not touristy. You can easily walk to the Piazza Del Popolo or walk across the bridge next to the Castel Saint Angelo and be in the Piazza Navona in minutes. Nice accommodations in this area as well. I would stay in this neighborhood again gladly.

A great neighborhood is Prati, east of the Vatican. It is lively at night and has great restaurants. Not touristy. You can easily walk to the Piazza Del Popolo or walk across the bridge next to the Castel Saint Angelo and be in the Piazza Navona in minutes. Nice accommodations in this area as well. I would stay in this neighborhood again gladly.

So it sounds like Prati is the area we found the one apartment in

I will have to pull out my maps again.

Sue

We are still looking at VRBO for our stay in Rome. I was given good advice last time I asked so here goes. We would ideally like to stay in Campo di Fiori/ Pantheon area. Plan B is close to the Vatican. We have found 2 apartments but are a little unsure of the neighborhoods. The first is Located in close proximity of the Museo e Galleria Borghese. The second is in an area I believe it is called Rione V Ponte. I know these are not right next to Campo di Fiori and Pantheon but look to be reasonablly close. The one is across the river from Angels Castle it looks like there is a bridge that you go over and than are close to the Vatican.

Also if anyone has used VRBO I am noticing most are requesting the entire rental upfront where as I was not noticing this as much as when I first started looking.

Thanks in advance' date='

Sue[/quote']

We have a VRBO rental in Campo di Fiori for next April. I had to pay a deposit, but the bulk of our payment isn't due until 14 days before the trip. Our unit is managed by "Rome for the Holidays" and I've found them to be very professional and responsive.

Thanks for all the reply's. This VRBO experience is frustrating yet I enjoy the research and planning part . Not knowing the areas makes it hard. I have noticed more and more of the landlords are requesting payment up front . I am not sure if people have been flaking out on them or what the reason but since I started looking several months ago I have noticed an increase in this practice. I would not have a problem with it but feel more comfortable if a place has some reviews and has been renting for several years. It seems the newer landlords are the ones requesting the upfront payment. I also feel better if I can secure with a credit card. I think we have found some viable options but unfortunately we cannot book for a few more months until we get airfare. Happy Cruising!

Sue

Thanks for all the reply's. This VRBO experience is frustrating yet I enjoy the research and planning part . Not knowing the areas makes it hard. I have noticed more and more of the landlords are requesting payment up front . I am not sure if people have been flaking out on them or what the reason but since I started looking several months ago I have noticed an increase in this practice. I would not have a problem with it but feel more comfortable if a place has some reviews and has been renting for several years. It seems the newer landlords are the ones requesting the upfront payment. I also feel better if I can secure with a credit card. I think we have found some viable options but unfortunately we cannot book for a few more months until we get airfare. Happy Cruising!

Sue

I noticed the full payment upfront with VRBO too, but you can also email the owner and see if they will just take a deposit. That's worked a time or two for us.

Also, you can check airbnb - depending on your length of stay, sometimes landlords will give a discount (for a week or more).

Have fun planning!

I noticed the full payment upfront with VRBO too, but you can also email the owner and see if they will just take a deposit. That's worked a time or two for us.

Also, you can check airbnb - depending on your length of stay, sometimes landlords will give a discount (for a week or more).

Have fun planning!

I used FlipKey for my rental in Rome. A deposit is required then final payment was due a month before travel. Very smooth transaction and great communication with the owner. Also lower fees than both VRBO. Highly recommended. We are a 3 minute walk from Campo de Fiore

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Deboralb

we have used VRBO many times thoughout USA and Europe. We stayed near the Spanish Steps last time and the apartment was great. Much bigger than expected. We had to wire the money in advance with city taxes due at arrival time. We had multiple email conversations with the owner and felt secure about the transaction.

In October we will be staying in the Trestevere neighborhood. Even though it is out of the main area it is only about a mile to all the attractions. Remember that when walking you will pass lots of interesting things along the walk. It is not a marathon but a great experience enjoying the sites Plus you can always take public transportation or a taxi to get you back home if you are too tired.

When ever we book these rooms, I always try to keep my expectation low...and I have always been pleasantly surprised!!

My daughter is currently staying on the almalfi coast with her friends and their AirBNB apartment was perfect for them. And they are college students on a minimal budget! They were so surprised at how great their apartment was.

Good luck!