Civitavecchia Port Shuttle Bus

N 2 Sun

Greetings All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to exit the Port Shuttle Bus at Michelangelo Fort or must you stay on the bus until it reaches the new Shuttle Bus Stop?

I would like to walk from the port to the train station via the shorter route by the Fort rather than from the bus stop.

Thank you,

N 2 Sun

Thank you Euro Cruiser and Gary222.

Our time in port is much shorter than I would like (12 hours) so we will need to optimize every place we can so as to not be rushed while in Rome. I think we will take Euro Cruiser's advice and walk from the ship (at berth 13) to the Michelangelo Fort entrance/exit and then along the coast to the train station.

Thank you both for the much needed insight.

Thank you Euro Cruiser and Gary222.

Our time in port is much shorter than I would like (12 hours) so we will need to optimize every place we can so as to not be rushed while in Rome. I think we will take Euro Cruiser's advice and walk from the ship (at berth 13) to the Michelangelo Fort entrance/exit and then along the coast to the train station.

Thank you both for the much needed insight.

Hope this further insight will help:

The Pier is 1.5 miles long. Berth 13 is at the end.

Using Google Earth, the distance from Berth 13 to the fort is 1.43 miles.

then the distance from the fort to the train station is 0.42 miles

Since the area is flat, the average person walks 3.1 miles in an hour, (not hauling luggage) so 40-45 minutes to walk from Berth 13 to the train station.

The walk isn't that safe. there is no pedestrian walkway

What is the time of day you will be walking this? What will the temperature be as you walk this? Is your spouse and your children going to whine the entire way?

How much more walking will you be doing in Rome?

We walked from the Piazza Navona to the Coliseum to the Trevi Fountain,to the spanish steps, so it was a lot of walking for the day. so easily another 5 miles for the day

What time will you be disembarking? (Not when will the ship arrive, but when will they let you off?)

did you check the train times to Rome from Civitavecchia?

7:02, 7:19, 7:30, 7;34, 7:44, 7:58, 8:01, 8:42; 8:59, 9:32

No point in walking to save time, just to have to wait at the train station.

On the other hand, the shuttle from ship to Via Turco is free, then 2 Euro p/p for a 10-15 minute bus ride to the station.BUT, the bus to the railway doesn't start until 8 am, if I read that correctly.

so with those insights in mind, you don't want to be kicking yourself when after a 45 minute, hot, not so scenic walk, you get to the train station just as the bus pulls up.:)

so with those insights in mind, you don't want to be kicking yourself when after a 45 minute, hot, not so scenic walk, you get to the train station just as the bus pulls up.:)

Yes, but by the same token, you also don't want to have waited for the shuttle to fill up, then waited for the bus at Via Turco -- only to find the train pulling away from the station as your bus arrives....

Realistically, you cannot know ALL the variables (for example, how many minutes is the shuttle going to sit and wait until it has a reasonable load of passengers?), so you just have to go with whatever method seems best to you.

I agree, everyone has to do the calculations for themselves, based on their values. For me, I'd rather spend the extra effort on foot to try and make the 7:58 train, because it's a long wait until the next one at 8:42. I can't do anything to move other passengers more quickly onto and off the shuttle bus and onto and off the local bus, nor to make the local bus come any faster. I have nearly complete control over my own two feet, however.

And this is why I LOVE CruiseCritic......so much great and helpful information, the wisdom of other cruisers who have done this before, and pros and cons that will help sweetie and me make the right decision.

I must agree with gary222, dkata has an awesome post. I'm most impressed with your use of Google Earth to measure distances (I've got to learn how to do that!) as well as your other info on busses and train times, and the reminder that a full day in Rome will involve lots of walking.

Thank you to everyone that weighed in on this.

I'll be sharing the info with my Roll Call because several other members are interested as well.

Marilyn

Per the "official" Portmobility website, the shuttle bus DOES stop near the fort. Although which stop depends on the time of day.

For all cruise passengers embarking/disembarking at piers 10 to 13 there's a route...with intermediate stops.

From 7 am to 7 pm

Cruise Terminal - Largo della Pace - Molo del Bicchiere

From 11:30 am to 2:30 pm

Cruise Terminal | Bramante | Largo della Pace

"Cruise Terminal" = piers 10 to 13. "Largo della Pace" = port access hub and shuttle stop with waiting area, located in a parking lot off Via Turco. "Molo del Bicchiere" is a shuttle stop heading towards piers 10 to 13. "Bramante" is a shuttle stop heading away from the piers.

Per the "official" Portmobility website, the shuttle bus DOES stop near the fort. Although which stop depends on the time of day.

For all cruise passengers embarking/disembarking at piers 10 to 13 there's a route...with intermediate stops.

From 7 am to 7 pm

Cruise Terminal - Largo della Pace - Molo del Bicchiere

From 11:30 am to 2:30 pm

Cruise Terminal | Bramante | Largo della Pace

"Cruise Terminal" = piers 10 to 13. "Largo della Pace" = port access hub and shuttle stop with waiting area, located in a parking lot off Via Turco. "Molo del Bicchiere" is a shuttle stop heading towards piers 10 to 13. "Bramante" is a shuttle stop heading away from the piers.

From all reports though, this seems to be somewhat variable in actual practice...

• 1 month later...

Ok here's a bit more of a definitive update on this issue. The shuttle does not officially stop at that intermediate stop in the morning, essentially to ensure all cruise pax go to the main shuttle terminus for obvious reasons - I.e. if they cld get off there they would go direct to train station etc etc. Fair enough. One passenger asked if she cld get off at intermediate stop. The driver said no but he then did actual stop. They aren't supposed to stop and he could have quite easily said no.

It's actually quite easy and quick to walk from the the shuttle terminus to train station and if you're wanting to take a local bus to let's say Tarquinia (the bus stop half way between Largo and Train station) you must either buy a ticket on the bus for €7 (purportedly) OR walk to train station to buy the same ticket for a couple of euros and then walk back to the bus stop.

Sent from my D5803 using Forums mobile app

Gary

"and if you're wanting to take a local bus to let's say Tarquinia (the bus stop half way between Largo and Train station) you must either buy a ticket on the bus for €7 (purportedly) OR walk to train station to buy the same ticket for a couple of euros and then walk back to the bus stop"

Tickets for the bus to Tarquinia can be purchased at the small newsagents on the corner where the road from Largo della Pace meets the main road to the station. Just make sure the man there knows you want Cotral bus tickets...when i simply asked if he sold bus tickets he assumed I meant for the local buses and said no...as we turned he said Tarquinia? When i said yes he smiled and said he did...and i bought 4 to get us there and back for

e5.20. I can confirm that the driver wanted to charge people who got on the bus without a ticket.e7.

There is a bus stop, not easy to spot, on the main road only 50 metres or so toward the station.